help get me back in the loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help get me back in the loop

I've been off and on Quake for awhile, mostly off, but I'm looking to return, at least for a little bit. I got a 9800gt (among other things) for Christmas, and it's one hell of a video card, it tears through S.T.A.L.K.E.R. just like it would tear through GLQuake.

So basically what I want to know is: what is the best-looking, most demanding engine and texture pack around these days? I want to see just what Quake can do! I'm not looking for textures that both look good and run well, I'm looking for the great-looking, high-res textures that swamp systems and clog up the internets with thier huge filesize like trying to dump a whole roll of paper towels down a lo-flo toilet.
    e|------------------------0---------------
    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
    A|---------------0------------------------
    E|----------------------------------------

forum digging, it works

Comment

Heheh. 6 FPS.

Comment

The first one reminds me of Oblivion...
        e|------------------------0---------------
        B|---------------0^1----------------1----
        G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
        D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
        A|---------------0------------------------
        E|----------------------------------------

Comment

metchsteekle, what engine are you using? I'm going between qrack and darkplaces and mine doesn't look nearly that nice.

Comment

get latest version of Darkplaces. Turn RT world and bloom on. Also antialiasing and anisotropic filtering. Get rygel's texture pack, the high detail version. It's the most detailed one yet. Get rid of the shitty weapon, ammo pack, and menu characters. I also deleted the bad water/slime/lava textures and the teleporter textures. Download Morphed's monster skins : http://www.quakeexpo.com/booth.php?id=69

Play through single player with Quake music on. Turn lights off, keep gamma low. I have a 9800gx2 and the lowest framerates i get are 35ish. usually its around 80fps. I wish my computer didn't overheat after 20 minutes of playing it. Have fun and try not to get too scared

Put these in your autoexec.cfg too:
            r_glsl_offsetmapping "1"
            r_glsl_offsetmapping_reliefmapping "0"
            r_glsl_offsetmapping_scale "0.05"

and
            r_shadow_gloss 0 (turns off gloss completely, I find most textures with gloss on them look like shit)
            Last edited by Monster; 12-27-2008, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thetickleguy View Post
              metchsteekle, what engine are you using? I'm going between qrack and darkplaces and mine doesn't look nearly that nice.
              oh, those are not my screen shots, i got them from the monster skin threads in the media section
              and yes it is dark places

and if you want your computer to work hard just play hondo bondos mod : http://www.moddb.com/mods/superduper-quake/downloads

Comment

Anyone have any hud suggestions for Darkplaces other than Yellow Hud?

Comment

This look good? I use a mixture for my hud. Can send it to you somehow if you want. The invisible eyes avatar I use is custom made using someone's actual eyes skin on top of the original invisible eyes avatar. I just thought the original had very small eyeballs.

edit:

Download the zip file here

Comment

Yep, that's pretty cool. Much better than yellow hud. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X