Quake 1 Assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 1 Assistance

I have not played Quake 1 forever. I have been stuck in the console FPS games such as Halo 2 and 3 lately. I have been wanting to go back to the original Quake. That is right, not 2, not 3, not 4, but Quake 1.

I have heard there are versions you can download for free that have full multiplayer? So basically I am curious to know if the shareware or demo has access to all multiplayer? I do not care about campaign.
    Last edited by LordKastle; 01-02-2009, 02:19 PM.

Also, if that shareware does not support full multiplayer and I am forced to download it...
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/2310/
    Is that the official Quake 1? It says minimum requirements of Windows 2000/XP. I have XP but I am confused. How is this the case if Quake 1 was released before those OS's.

Comment

Nope, shareware does not have access to multiplayer. Only the commercial version includes multiplayer. Yes, there are versions that let you play online free, but I have no idea where to get them.

EDIT: I've checked the link. It is official Quake. But you would have to buy it.

Comment

There are actual legal versions of strictly Quake 1 Multiplayer? Anyone else know where I could find a copy. I do not mind purchasing a copy but after reading that site does it actually make you download their massive fileshare program? I am skeptical of that.

Comment

In other words this is a different Quake 1 multiplayer compared to the actual full version?
          http://www.quakeone.com/freequake/en.html

Comment

If you don't mind getting it shipped or paying shipping, you can buy the game from iD's website or get a cheap CD off eBay. They're usually under a dollar. (WOW.) The multiplayer only copies are shareware, but hacked. The hack can only be acquired through torrents though.

EDIT: Wow, can't believe I forgot about FreeQuake. Yeh, use that instead. Download all three of the files and run it along with Quake, it should let you play online. No it is shareware only modded I think.

Comment

So what I must do is this...
              Download the Quake Shareware version.
              Then go to this site and download those files and run them together.

Then I will be able to play online with Quake 1 like people who have the original version and connect to whatever servers I want with any gametypes?

Comment

Damn then again I just read on the QuakeOne page
                "We are early in the process of putting together a list of shareware compatible servers, this list will be growing."

Which means I can only play shareware people? Screw that.

Comment

Then you might have to just buy the game. That's the only shareware-multiplayer-thingamabobber out right now.

Comment

In your opinion, or someone else's...during any time of day or night, is it easy to find a deathmatch game?

Comment

You can download it from Steam for $10, I believe.

Comment

There are some quake clients that will let you connect to non-shareware servers even though you are missing sounds, models, and maps- like Dark Places. The maps were released vaguely recently (under GPL), so someone (I guess Baker) made a flat-texture map build of the maps (go here: http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1712 Post 13 has the link). I think Darkplaces also fakes the sound and models, but it'll look strange.

Comment

Do I need to download the Stream program also though?

Also, does anyone know if I can find a game at any time of day or night, regardless...?

Comment

EDIT: Nevermind...

Comment

Working...
                            X