Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A "Noob" wants to say Hello! And is asking some questions... ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A "Noob" wants to say Hello! And is asking some questions... ;)

Hi to all!

I am new here and i want to say hello to everybody. I found this forum after looking for a Quake port with Google. I had very good skills with Doom & Quake mods (Doomsday e.g.) a couple of years ago and after installing and playing Doom on Doomsday the last weeks i decided to reactivate my good old Quake CD-ROM.

After reading some forums and threads i was able to setup the latest DarkPlaces engine on my PC incl. the encoded soundtrack from NIN in ogg-format, the high-quality textures from Rygel, the Ogro skins and the DP water patch (with vispatch). So far so good, Quake never looked better before (i also have tested Tenebrae, but this was to slow and laggy, but the smoke effects were awesome - hope to see this in DarkPlaces some day!) and i feel thrown back to my youth !

Like i said, i have read some threads here and i noticed, that DPMod was often talked about. What exactly does DPMod do and do i need it to play Quake in single player mode (i understood so far, that DPMod is for Internet/LAN gaming....?)? It would be nice, if someone could explain me. Ahmmm, and something i have noticed during gaming with DarkPlaces: Is it normal, that the Quad-Damage items arenīt rotating? I really canīt remember, but i had the feeling, they should, but i canīt remember exactly.....

BTW, i am very happy, that there is a such a big community for good old games from my youth like idīs Quake, i enjoy that very well! I am following Alfaders skins thread and i am very surprised, how much time some people spend to put up the experience of the game by doing such a great and awesome job - thanks to all that are constributing textures, models, maps, mods and so on! Like i said, i really enjoy that!

Thanks for all,
    TR2N

welcome back noob!

Comment

dpmod is a mod specifically for darkplaces for single player stuff...and stuff

and yes quad supposta rotate

Comment

Originally posted by TR2N View Post
        Is it normal, that the Quad-Damage items arenīt rotating? I really canīt remember, but i had the feeling, they should, but i canīt remember exactly.....
        Rygel's texture pack has a .md3 quad model (a Quake 3 format model) and md3 doesn't have a rotate flag like standard Quake .mdl format does, so Rygel's model has no way to tell DarkPlaces that it should rotate.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Now you have to experiment the latest awesome mod (e.g Travail, Quoth, etc...) and the latest mappers' releases

And welcome !
          What Does Not Kill You, Makes You Stronger

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
            Rygel's texture pack has a .md3 quad model (a Quake 3 format model) and md3 doesn't have a rotate flag like standard Quake .mdl format does, so Rygel's model has no way to tell DarkPlaces that it should rotate.
            Thanks to all for clearifying some things. How can i tell DarkPlaces to rotate the Quad damage items for example?

Comment

It's not a fault in DarkPlaces but the model itself. You could replace Quad model or just delete the .md3 version.
              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

i think lord havoc had a thing to add flags like rotation to md3 models

Comment

Working...
                X