Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Binding: Should Kimp be banned from the forums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binding: Should Kimp be banned from the forums?

This poll is binding.

But you can't just vote. For your vote to actually count in the tally,
    you must also post explaining why he should be banned or not from the forums. You must also need to know who Kimp is (if you don't know, don't waste time voting -- we'll know, so if you don't who Kimp is don't make an ass of thyself voting and explaining on an issue you really don't know anything about.) And the results of anyone who hasn't been a member here for at least a week will be mentally ignored.

I think people who want to ban Kimp from the forums are expressing their powerlessness of being able to stop Kimp from ruining games. CRMOD, for example, to my knowledge someone has to physically edit a ban file on the server for the ban to remain permanent.

I think people who want him banned from the forums are instead of trying to address the real problem --- getting him truly and effectively permabanned from servers where he is ruining games -- and instead expressing their frustration in a way that does not nothing to stop that activity. I mean, you ban him here and what does that do to prevent him from ruining another game?

At the same time, he has also registered here under impersonated aliases several months ago pretending to be other people so it isn't like his forum record is "clean". And should a so-called welcome mat be rolled out for such a person?

At the same time, what has he done to be a nuisance in the forum lately?

I mean, he organized a tournament for DM players that actually happened. Many of you have talked about doing that, but only Kimp actually made it happen. (Yeah, there have been several successful CA tournaments, but none in Q1DM).

Regardless, the results of this poll is binding .. but mentally the votes of anyone who votes who didn't post a meaningful reason to justify their yes or no gets ignored.

This poll is open for 3 days. The results, whatever they are .. will stand.
    Yes: You need to post to explain why.
    69.23%
    No: You need to post to explain why.
    15.38%
    I don't care: Good for you, please move on then.
    15.38%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Baker; 12-27-2009, 06:00 AM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

because...i dont like him and he stole my ctf website to run his dm tourny
    Cbuf_AddText (va("say ZeroQuake GL version 1.10\n"));

Comment

I don't know him and thus voted I don't care of course. From all the stuff I read here I thought it was a joke or sth in the beginning.
      dfsp*spirit
      my FPS maps

Comment

Has he done anything but cause problems? Nope.

Comment

I agree that he may need to be banned from some game servers, I don't see a good reason why he should be banned from the forums. He has done things in the past which may have warranted a ban, but nothing lately.

Comment

Yes.

As I've said before, I don't think the principle of the separation of server and forums should prevail, in this case. It's one community--the people are the same, the goal (Quaking) is the same, it's just a slightly different mode of activity. What happens on the servers clearly affects what happens on the forums and vice versa. Since he's mostly been causing problems on servers lately rather than the forums, it would be ideal if we could perma-ban him from every server. However, that not being possible, this is an acceptable second best solution. It may not stop him ruining games, but it will be a negative consequence of his incalcitrance and therefore possibly stimulate him to change his behavior. What bothers me most about him is his apparent refusal to learn from his past mistakes. We've seen him get away with doing everything he could get away with, and I don't see this trait changing any time soon.

Edit: If he had a 100% clean record on the forums, I'd change my vote. If he had a 100% clean record on the servers, I'd change my vote. However, his recent (past 2 months approximately) bannable behavior on the forums, combined with his ongoing poor behavior on the servers, combine to make a yes vote for me. This is what I think the forum-server connection should be: a gray but significant one.
            Last edited by spooker; 12-27-2009, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Kimp (a.k.a.: one1xolds), if your reading this, this is my Christmas gift to you... it is a pro-bono...

Here Ye, Here Ye, one and all... *gavel strike*

I've already stated my opinion on the "Unban Kimp" thread... But I shall reiterate. I think it is unjust to ban someone from a message board based on what's going on at the game servers...which is not moderated by the message board. The line between the entities should be not be blurred, because it should not be the message board's burden to baby sit what is going on in the outside world.

I understand, from past events, Kimp has worked the system and has done some naughty things to the message board. And at the same time, he has some how earned clemency for his most recent struggle back in to the community. I am sure, just by the fact there is a poll for Kimp, no-one wants to disclude anyone if they don't have to.

Kimp's most recent behavior on the message board does not reflect the alleged behavior on the game servers. In fact, Kimp has proven to be an asset more than a burden. He has spent much of his personal time working on his Quake projects in which include people within the community. Although his marketing techniques don't rub everyone the right way, he was effective in getting people together in a game, at set times. His damage control skills are pretty dam good... Being one of the undesirables, his clout shows when people WANT to participate in the agenda.

His popularity works against him for those who hold vendettas, and those who are skeptical from his reputation. Something special is going on...people want to get along... people want to get their game on...and it is here, in our realm that it is happening. We need Kimp and his energy to help perpetuate the roll we were on... Who else has this much time on their hands and is willing to step-up to the plate to fill this role? No one has needed to...Kimp has done it for us.

I think Kimp already knows he is skating on thin ice... and that's probably why his voice for his so mute on the message board... only addressing his points and subjects. I don't see any outrageous opinions, slanderous remarks, or devious elements in his posts.

If this is the final straw for Kimp: Thanks Kimp! It was fun while it lasted.

Comment

Considering I'm not playing online very often, the only thing that is bothering me are those meaningless threads about him (actually 3 in the top 5 including this one). Unfortunately, those threads are the most actives and are ruining the forum IMHO.

Possible solutions:
                - ban
                - create a new forum "everything about Kimp" or the like ("most hatred", "ban request", etc..)
                - move threads about online problems to an existing one
                engine: quore.free.fr

Comment

Originally posted by lxndr View Post
                  Considering I'm not playing online very often, the only thing that is bothering me are those meaningless threads about him (actually 3 in the top 5 including this one). Unfortunately, those threads are the most actives and are ruining the forum IMHO.

Possible solutions:
                  - ban
                  - create a new forum "everything about Kimp" or the like ("most hatred", "ban request", etc..)
                  - move threads about online problems to an existing one
                  This is a very good point to go along with spookers.. The forums and game servers are very much one in the same. Whenever Kimp does something on a gameserver people come here and start negative threads about how shitty there game expierence is because of him. How would this look to new people who come to the forums? Are they going to want to start to play a game that ultimatly has the potential to be ruined because of someone the quake community can't control? I know i wouldn't. CD and eieio have already stated they will not participate in this community if Kimp is around. How many people do we need to lose before we take care of this? I guess Mastersplinter, Zild, and Kimp and effess can play 2vs2 together for the rest of the quake existance.

Comment

Banning him from the boards doesn't necessarily mean him being banned from game servers, or those threads disappearing.

Comment

But it's a good start.

Comment

What everyone needs to do is just ignore him by not playing games with him and not talking to him. I am all for kimp not being around and a perma-ban set but he will find ways around all that by changing his ip again or getting on a dial-up. Kimp will never fully leave by having a perma-ban set on him. The guy loves the game and I cant knock him for that but the abuse he puts up with from everyone, I'm sure is the reasons of his actions on the servers. He brought the abuse on himself though.

By making multiple accounts on quakeone.com after being told not to, posing to be players he's not to gain admin codes by private messages to players with the codes, flooding the servers, connecting with bots, connecting on multiple clients to set a vote and flooding players in games i think is disrespectful to our community, the moderators of this site and the owners servers who spend hard earned money on these servers to help keep this game alive.

Kimp will never fully "learn a lesson", I mean who are we to him?. Kimp has stated he's 30 years old, 5'4'', 120lbs, has never had sex, never kissed a girl, lives with his parents, has no education, has no job, has been picked on all his life, fantasizes about having sex with 12 year old girls and walks by elementary schools to look at the girls playing. He has said and CD and luna can vouge to this, "The cavemen have been having sex with little girls so it should be ok"... Kimp is sick in the head.

Perma-ban him from everywhere, he burned his bridges and is an adult in control of his own actions. He chooses to act this way and disrespect the community.. enough said.

Comment

sounds like if we take quake away from him, someone's little girl is going to take the brunt of his frustrations one day. i'd rather him focus his attention on annoying our "community" than grow his sick fantasies into a reality.

no vote.
                          "When I was your age, we used to rocket jump all the way to school, up hill both ways - IN BOILING LAVA!"

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                            At the same time, he has also registered here under impersonated aliases several months ago pretending to be other people so it isn't like his forum record is "clean". And should a so-called welcome mat be rolled out for such a person?
                            I can understand "outburts" and bickering back and forth on the forums, its almost expected with the leniency of the site admins.

But I would call impersonating other people on the quakeone.com forums a ban-able offense and quite lame.

I have only heard and seen bad things from Kimp and i don't see why anyone is giving him/her credit for setting up a DM tourney... After all its the actual people who signed up who MADE the tourney, not Kimp himself/herself.

I'm not going to apologize for the negativity the name Kimp has on me as there's only been bad things said about this person.

I believe I've witnessed Kimp ruin a perfectly good game by loading up several player slots on the server,EFFECTIVELY RUINING my game and a few others. That sounds like a trouble maker.

Do what you will, my vote goes to ban Kimp as there's an obvious pattern in his/her behavior on the Quake servers as well as the quakeone.com forums.

Impersonation should NOT be tolerated, ruining games on purpose should not be tolerated, repeat offenders should not be allowed to continue on ruining games, lurking on forums pretending to be others etc etc etc.. I don't care if he did start a DM tourney. There's rules here and this specific person has not shown enough care or thought for their actions.

Make an example out of Kimp, or watch his behavior become acceptable and tolerated.

Whatever you happen to do, please show Kimp and everyone else that such behavior will NOT BE TOLERATED on Quake servers or Quakeone.com.

People work hard and pay good money to help Quake 1 along even after 13+ years and we're going to let Kimp run around and knock shit off the shelves kick and scream for attention like some disobedient child and consider it acceptable?

Where does the rules of quake1 and quakeone.com stand?

What if i started doing this? Could I get away with it? I wonder how far I can bend the rules on servers and quakeone.com

Kimps not my role model as i believe in forum and server etiquette, but what about others who don't quite know how to begin to communicate with such a seasoned community? I know for sure Kimp can setup a DM tourney, but whats your point? Hes breaking rules and laughing about it.

Ban Kimp. I'm sure someone else is capable of setting up a DM tourney. Probably without having to empty out other servers with childish acts to do it, lets not forget how Kimp chooses to impress everyone now.

BAN. MOVE ON.
                            Last edited by Phenom; 12-27-2009, 01:42 PM.
                            QuakeOne.com
                            Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                            Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                            Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

I come from a different perspective than most on this. I've had to deal with kimp in the three different mods (ctf, DM, and CA). Kimp hasn't changed from the spring 09 up to now despite being banned multiple times from several different servers.

There are several people here who don't have a complete picture of Kimp. Baker for example, I've never played a game of DM/CTF/CA with you (that I know of). That's obviously not an insult, it's to illustrate that you haven't witnessed the nonsense that some of us have.

To give you an example (and over people witnessed this), yesterday, for a period of three hours kimp flooded a server with connects and disconnects to quake.crmod.com. On each connection he spammed text with the word "PENSU". Anyone who plays dm knows that part of the game is communication, letting your teammates know your location and whether the enemy has a powerup. Kimp's motives for doing this were obvious, he wanted to disrupt the game as much as possible. Who in there right mind spends three+ hours doing this crap? He's done this exact thing in every dm game I've played in for the past three days. I'm not joking when I say I could write a book on everything he's done in the last nine months.

Everyone has already acknowledged that he's guilty of a ban-able offense on this forum (Posing as myself in an effort to gain admin access to the hdz servers from Rook). Why did you guys arbitrarily decide one day to reinstate him? I think his pattern of behavior within the quake community should be enough proof that it's time to lay the permanent ban hammer down on him.

Comment

Working...
                              X