List what you HATE about Quake 1.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List what you HATE about Quake 1.

With all this talk about all the cool stuff coming out and stuff thats been out for Quake 1, lets hear about what you HATE about Quake.

For me I didn't like how static the enemies were. They were always way to predictable after you've fought them already. Made for reflex type frags instead of strategy type frags. I'd like to see enemies try to evade you once they start taking damage.

What about you?

Guidelines
    Has to be the original Quake. No mods, no hacked versions and no engine chit-chat, those are irrelevant here. This is about what you hate about Quake 1 not DP,Qrack,CAX,RQ,CTF or whatever.
    QuakeOne.com
    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
    Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
    Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

You can't crouch

Comment

That I can't prone and snipe people with a 50. cal. Srsly.

Comment

im not sure if i ever liked the NAILGUN. #4 on the keyboard. Regular plain old nailgun. I mean, why use it when its bigger brother is available, #5, SNG.

When being fired it sounds pitiful, like someone drumming on a empty coke can. It doesnt inspire fear into anyone. It actually draws people to come after you because they know you will be an ez kill. Meanwhile SNG can rip through you in seconds and sounds like steel I beams being dropped on the ground from 10 stories up.

I thought all of the weapons had a special place in quake and had a time to use them. All of them except the nailgun. I feel like they could have made a diff type of weapon all together or changed how the nailgun worked. MAybe unlimited ammo....

Comment

Well after playing many "newer" games. The Rocker Launcher being #7 instead of #5 gets to me lol
          Pretty much every FPS use the RPG as #5 now.

Other was NO gibbable corpses - in which basically is standard now.
          Couching is minor but I do plan to add in my mod (after it's complete - I may add some more game changing elements like that)

Comment

One thing i didn't like is the lack of variation in similar enemies' strategies and attacks.

Hexen 2 and other games had enemies that would do different things like crouch and hold their attacks until you were open to be shot at, and so do some mods like Quoth, but Quake 1 was basically "take a couple of steps, shoot" rinse and repeat for the more similar enemies, such as the enforcer and grunt.

Even enemies like the shambler do the same. That and the starter shotgun - it doesn't feel like a shotgun. Feels more like a pistol in the shell of a shotgun, although i do like how it looks, it doesn't sound that good either.

It took me over a year of playing to realize the last two weird "clicking" noises after you shoot are the pump.

Other than that, though, there really is no reason to dislike it. Its awesomeness overshadows its shortcomings.
            Last edited by Bloodshot; 12-09-2010, 02:58 PM.

Comment

newbs.... just newbs....
              DAVEMAN

Comment

Its really hard to hate on Quake,honestly.
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Rockstar View Post
                  im not sure if i ever liked the NAILGUN. #4 on the keyboard. Regular plain old nailgun. I mean, why use it when its bigger brother is available, #5, SNG.

When being fired it sounds pitiful, like someone drumming on a empty coke can. It doesnt inspire fear into anyone. It actually draws people to come after you because they know you will be an ez kill. Meanwhile SNG can rip through you in seconds and sounds like steel I beams being dropped on the ground from 10 stories up.

I thought all of the weapons had a special place in quake and had a time to use them. All of them except the nailgun. I feel like they could have made a diff type of weapon all together or changed how the nailgun worked. MAybe unlimited ammo....
                  I agree.
                  uakene.com

Comment

ping
                    SURGEON GENERAL WARNING:
                    THE IMITATION OF ANY OR ALL MANEUVERS EXECUTED BY A BB2 H23A1 4WS PRELUDE IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR CAR'S HEALTH. DRIVING A PRELUDE MAY CAUSE LOSS OF INTEREST IN OTHER CARS, WOMEN AND SPEED LIMITS. OTHER SYMPTOMS INCLUDE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS, COLD SWEATS AND OTHER SYMPTOMS RELATED TO ADDICTION. IF THE SYMPTOMS PERSIST,DRIVE!
                    sigpic

Comment

my biggest bugbear is only what I said here really.
                      I've felt that way since '96 when I first played it.

true things like gibbable corpses, crouching and the like are easy to pick holes in in hindsight, but back in the day the only competitor to include these features was Duke3d.

we should also remember that many many mods have covered these issues over the years KQP for instance! but, I digress, yeah, the corpse/crouching problem bugged me too as I was both duker and quaker back then!

also, yes the nailgun IS rubbish but would have been more aprecciated if id had kept the sng out of the first episode altogether...
                      still in ep four you do kind of have to rely on the ol' ng for awhile as the first sng pickup is quite a way into the episode isnt it?

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Rockstar View Post

I thought all of the weapons had a special place in quake and had a time to use them. All of them except the nailgun. ....
                        Agreed. However, they did add a simple but VERY effective tweak to the NG in the Painkeep mod. The nails bounced several times off walls and around corners which meant if you were out of nade's you could safely flood a known camp area with nails and flush the little out before having some fun with them

It seemed a much better use of the weapon and I wonder if that will ever resurface in a mod/engine.

Regards
                        Monty
                        Last edited by Mr.Burns; 12-10-2010, 09:02 AM.
                        Mr.Burns
                        "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                        WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                        Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

you cant crouch!

and monsters are stupid!
                          Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

"Not dead is what forever can wait" (HPL)

Comment

Crouching needs nobody because it is not necessary to crouch anywhere in the levels. But what's bothering me (i not hate it) is like inkub0 said the bad AI of the monsters. They are to "calculateable", if you played quake a few times you know exactly how they act. But i really hate nothing about the game.

Comment

Lack of ability to crouch and KIMP!

Comment

Working...
                              X