This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Introduce Yourself Thread"

We are getting a lot of people registering from a lot of different backgrounds and unlike most of the other Quake forums, don't necessarily know each other.

So ... this thread is to introduce yourself.

I'm Baker. I started playing Quake on the internet in 1999. I was an admin for a while at Quake.Shmack.net and later at Widomaker. In 2003, I joined the IHOC Clan eSx with MindzfieldX.

I started playing Quake with the Artifact Mod which later became RuneQuake. I like to play Rocket Arena and IHOC and like CA+ and CTF if there are some balanced teams.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

I started quaking soon after the store version was released in 1996.

i also started modding shortly after \o/

Comment

Hello, My name is Phenom... and uhh... I'm a serial axe'er
      QuakeOne.com
      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Hi, I'm Funkify, aka Dolemite, [L0L]D0L3M1T3, or any number of in-game aliases. I have been around Quake off and on since the shareware days. I was recruited to join one of the first clans, The Amish (if anyone remembers back that far). I also formed clan L0L in 1999. L0L L0L L0L...

Starting in 2001 I've had a hand in many rune-based mods and servers, as a server operator, admin, site operator, and modder. There are a couple of mods I was involved in which you can still play online, BDA and RuneHOC (servers at bda.essentrix.net and rune.ihoc.net, respectively). Due to my outspoken and sometimes impulsive nature as an admin, as well as my tendency as a player to tease, pester, and rip your balls off, I have made a few enemies along the way. I have also made some good friends in the game too.

These days I enjoy just being a normal player. I play regularly at Shmack and Fear, and when I can find a game I enjoy BDA and RA. Part of the fun I derive from Quake is thinking up crazy new names to use. A few notable distinctions in my playing style (at least on rune servers) are that I don't strafe, I do backpedal a lot, and I keep a key bound to the peashooter. I believe that if my primary goal in a FFA game is to keep myself alive, then I will rack up plenty of frags along the way. I use my ears, so I usually know where you are and have usually launched a rocket or two in your direction before I even see you. I have been known to camp when it is profitable, and also to make it my business to take out others' campsites whenever possible.

Some of the players I enjoy playing with most are Lefty, Hydro, Mindzy, Yellow, Steve/Sole, Fire/Happybunny (I love infiltrating his campsites), Crazicracker, Pendragon, IEEE, Zor, Baker, and Urdead.

Some of my favorite targets include Magnetar, Royal Lion, Surfer Girl and her whiney bot-calling crew, IHH, and Saurak.

I'm sure there are plenty out there who especially love pounding on me, so all I have to say is BRING IT ON! That's what keeps this game fun.

edit: added recent photo
        Last edited by funkify; 03-10-2006, 08:42 AM.

Comment

I started playing quake in 96 when I started at college. Previously I was playing a lot of Doom II over modem and Marathon 2, the predecessor to Halo. I started working in the computer lab about the time Quake was released, all the other "lab aids" were playing Duke Nukem (ha). I was like "hey you fools never heard of quake?"

I played mostly ctf 97-99, but always played pub servers in the mornings as that's when I was "working" in the computer lab. I thought artifact quake was funny and was always trying to get people to play it, but the servers were always empty.

After starting school again in 2000 to get my masters I was busy and stopped playing games altogher. I was living in China most of 2004, when I got back I had some free time in ealier 2005 before I started working, I figured I'd do some gaming online. And as I recalled, quake 1 was for some reason just more fun that other games that came after it. I went looking for ctf games first, but regrettably all I found was trinicom. I hated that mod back in the day and it was just as crappy now. So I played mostly runequake, and ra, and a lot of ctf now lately on intertex.

I play to have fun, and don't enjoy playing with people who play to be jerks. Quake is a lot smaller community now. But one good thing about that is that I've gotten to know a lot of great people.
          uakene.com

Comment

I'm Solecord, aka -sole-, aka Steve. I've been around since a little after Quake was released. My first name was "FireMage" as a part of the "Mage" clan. Then I joined Clan Midnight as [/V\]-BioVirus-. I mainly played pub ctf servers back in the day. I eventually started playing 3wav CTF and joined a 3wav clan Zer0 as zer0--solecord.

I stopped playing Quake for a short time around 1999 I think because there just weren't that many players any more (3wav) and games were boring. A year later I started playing again, this time playing the RuneQuake mod because it was the most active mod at the time.

I prefer a good CTF game but mainly play RuneQuake because that's where the most players are.

Couple of fun facts:

- For the first year I played Quake, I used a Gravis Gamepad with only two buttons & a joystick. I had to swap between the controller and keyboard keys to bring out the hook.

- I still use the "axe hook" now when playing RuneQuake. CTF-style baby!!

- I win. You lose.

Comment

Hi, I'm Chuck and i'm new here. The site looks great! Nice design!
              Chuck

Comment

Hey, I'm Amon26 or Amon. Quake1 has been a staple of my hard-drive ever since the early summer of 1996. First PC I installed it on was my first-ever PC. A 486/DX with 8mb ram and god did it ever crawl.

Admittedley, I don't deathmatch a whole lot, but theres something just so fast beefy and satisfying about the Q1 experience. And I'm glad I'm not alone in that mindset.

My current favorite engines are Qrack and DarkPlaces, and when I do DM I usually go to quake.shmack.net

oh, and here's a recent pic of me

Nice place here.

Comment

I'm Monster and have been Quakin' online since I was 9. I used to go to the old ctf servers, ca.mtown.com and fvf.servequake.com. I didn't go by monster then, I went by my real name, Michael. I always have had dial-up until about 3 months ago, and now my skill has improved tremendously. Since I always used to RAWR! alot when I was a little kid, I changed my name permanently to MONSTER. Now I'm 14.

Comment

I started playing Quake back when it came out. A friend of my brother's came by and put it on our computer, and ever since I've been addicted to the game.

I originally was named "Raptor", but there were a few other players by that name, so I went with "QuadRaptor" to give it more of a quakish name.

I was a big fan of the old "artifact" runequake servers, and my favorite mod is actually an old one called HeadHunters. I was a member of several clans (one at a time, of course), including The Tremmors, The Angels of Death, and Guardians of the Heavens.

I then played a bit of Quake 2 and joined a clan called Lieutenant, but we didn't last very long. I stopped playing for a while but then returned to Quake 1 to find a lot of my favorite servers down.

I soon found quake.shmack.net and quake.ihoc.net, and eventually was recruited into the East Side Extremists by SOVS, which to this day has been my best clan yet.

Apocalypse helped me figure out how to use mouse, so I've gotten a lot better at the game (old-school keyboarder, I used to think mouse was too complicated to use [and of course I REALLY sucked too]).

In addition to my gameplay, I also write Quake fanfics. I have written one called "The Summoning", which includes a lot of quakers in it. I am writing one called "Clash of the Cyborgs", which has to do about QuadRaptor, and then I plan to write my last one called "Visitors".

And that's about it - I play on quake.shmack.net, fear.lokinetworks.com, and fvf.servequake.com

Comment

My turn...my turn...)
                      Hi...wait do I have to stand? Oh well here it goes...;o)

ummm Hi! I am JackHole I have been drinking quake, eating quake,
                      sleeping quake, and dreaming quake since 96. I am from those other
                      sites! I love you all!! Good night!

I am not a quake addict but I have a quake problem...Thanks!
                      clap clap clap..tihhihee..
                      JackHole

Comment

I've had some others complain I've never posted a pic (and have seen almost everyone's, heh), like in the Singed photo album.

I almost did on several occasions, but held back mostly due to a couple of TLTQ.com incidents involving photos.

This is from my 2003 graduation @ Ohio State.

Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

baker posted a pic of himself!!

....ok i'll post one too. here's me and my tot from a couple monts ago:
                          uakene.com

Comment

I thought you were Chinese (j/k)

Comment

Ya that'd be good for business anyway
                              uakene.com

Comment

Working...
                              X