This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone!

I want to say thank you for this fantastic site and thank you to everyone who is contributing here and keeping this great game alive.

Quake brings back so many great memories from the 90's. I still remember the day I bought the game to play on my first computer and how it really made an impression on me. A little while later 3Dfx came around which truly made it an unforgettable experience.

It's really great to see the game still being alive today and to see all the hard work people are putting into it to make it even better. I can't express into words how much I appreciate it.

Again, thank you. Thanks a lot everyone.
    Last edited by JH24; 07-08-2011, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Comment

• Gotta say, Awesome site. I haven't played Quake in 10 years or so, and with Dark Places and all the great mods I found here, I'm enjoying the game again very much!
        Regular One Man Slaughterhouse

Comment

• Hello Everyone, Long time that I don't play quake, i would like play again, if anyone wants, add me at skype or msn. msn->[email protected] /skype-> smkenzo.

I do really want to play again, let's make this game big again!

Cheers!

Comment

• Hi!

I don't remember exactly when I first played Quake, but I think it was in 1997. I was five-year-old back to then. We just had got our first computer and my big brother who was ten years older than me had installed the game on our computer. Navy Seals was installed too, but I think it was not the final version. Sadly I can't test it out as the computer broke about year ago.

Well, I don't remember my first games but I exactly remember the feeling Quake gave me. God it was terrifying! The darkness, bizarre sounds echoing in the ancient temples, the grunts of the monsters. . . And especially the otherworldly alien feeling. I loved the game almost as much as I feared it. The computer was in single room which was at the back of our attic, so I had to walk through the cold and dark attic to play Quake. . . It was part of the fun/horror, and at times I thought I heard how a grunt growled behind a corner. Sometimes I didn't make it to the computer room.

When I made it, I put all the lights on and began to play. I could play through only some of the levels--if I hadn't seen often enough my big brother to play certain map, I just couldn't handle all the terror. Sometimes I couldn't handle it even in the 'cozy' levels. At some point someone told me that typing ”GOD” in the panel would make the task easier, and I finally made it through all the four episodes, but even that was very terrifying. I especially remember the hugeness of Azore Agony, and the blue walls. The alien feeling was greatest in that map and I remember the nightmares it gave me. ”Your Worst Nightmares Come True”, really.

After playing Quake five years or so I slowly forget it. I played more strategy games, as well as small fan-made games I downloaded from the Internet, though I still visited the realms of Quake from time time, though that became more and more unusual. . . Until about three years ago I decided to turn on the old computer and, at last, finish Quake without cheats. And guess what? It was still almost as scary as it had used to be.

Such a great game. Probably the scariest game ever--I really would call it psychological horror, as -beside the surprising shocks like monsters spawning behind you- much of the terror comes from the ominous ambience, strange sounds, never-ending darkness, and especially from the terrible feeling of great alien anciency. Not to mention the great gameplay, great level design, superb music, graphics which are decent still, etc etc. I'm simply in love with Quake.
            Last edited by Miihkali; 09-22-2011, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• hey all!... im mysti AKA splitterface as i am known in-game and on forums.

always been a fan of old-school shooters like doom and heretic, hexen, duke nukem3d and quake and such. grew up with games like those and other old great dosgames and oldschool consoles like nes, snes, atari2600, playstation and N64. and i never managed to let go of any of them since those old games are sooo much more fun then most modern games IMO cuz they focus on great gameplay rather then trying to do some complicated long-winded story with twists and having deep dramatic characters which totally ruin it often for me when gaming. wish more developers would just focus more again on great gameplay instead of such BS.

still play old games an awefull lot nowadays cuz they are just better and have conquered a place in my heart cuz of the amazing fun gameplay and their cool original style (which developers nowadays dont even seem to know anymore, originality).
              got lots of emulators and source-ports and such on my computer to play those great games from back then on my comp and even got gamepads for pc specially for that (cuz lots of those games were made to be played with a controller and it sucks to try and play them with a keyboard, lol)

although only just recently i got into quake1 after buying the quake complete pack on steam a few weeks ago. before i only had quake2 and quake4 which i love both. immediately after trying quake1 on my comp i got annoyed that it didnt work right and ID didnt fix anything about it like adding higher resolutions and such, went to search webs for a Q1 source-port and found darkplaces, and the rygel-pack at first, and tried it and am loving it, love all the added features from DP like RT lighting and having the ability to replace stuff with hi-res stuff and such. so after i got DP plus rygels HiRes pack i finally got to playing Q1 and i totally love it, its way cooler then all other Qauke's together! had to get used at start to the huge difference of quake compared to Q2 and Q4, but i quickly got used to it cuz its such an awesome game, and its way cooler (although i am a huge fan of Q2 and Q4 still too, always loved them since i first played quake2 when i was a kid)

although soon i found out with the mission packs that still hi-res versions of lotsa weapons and monster skins and whatnot were missing, and i went to search for more stuff for darkplaces and found this great site, from which ive downloaded tons of stuff for Q1 and both mission packs, which i love and think make quake even more awesome and intensify the experience.

so erm... ever since ive found this site a few weeks ago i kept searching for more stuff frequently and found upgraded stuff for nearly everything in quake plus both mission packs

so to OoPpEe and Seven, Inkub0, Webangel, Ruohis, Fraggers, Reforged and everyone else who made all this stuff, thanx soooo much for making all of this, everything looks equally amazing and perfect and wonderfull, i really appreciate all the work you have done and hope that one day the few things left are done too

so erm... guess thats it, not really much more to say i guess... love gaming, especially shooters or adventure games like prince of persia, soul reaver and god of war, or the spyro series (spyro is totally cute and awesome, so what if the games are kiddie-like, i love him XD )

love basically any cool games which feature monsters or aliens or vampires or such or terrible beasts... and lots and lots of violence and gore XD

anyways, erm... guess thats it. not really known in the online community since i never play online much since i prefer SP or coop,and sadly lots of newer games lack coop nowodays which is a total shame
              Last edited by talisa; 10-05-2011, 08:15 PM.
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Greetings mortals!

I'm Damian - formerly known as EvilBill in the Q2 and Q3 community - and my Quake odyssey started in 1997 with the release of Q2.

I soon also discovered Q1 although I didn't get to play either online until I got my own Internet connection in 1999. I've mostly played Q2 and Q3 with a bit of Q1 but I'm getting back into Q1 a bit more now!

I still adore Q2 over and above ANY other game though I also play Diablo II and the Age of Empires series extensively. I'm not very good at multiplayer so I mostly play offline vs bots (Q2/Q3) but I've never played a Q1 botmatch.

I'm 33, married, born and raised in England but now live in the US.
                Command, I got a problem here...

Comment

• Hello!! My name is Nahuel. I am 23. I love the music, i listen very different subgeneres of rock, the stoner rock (kyuss, colour haze etc...) and the black metal shoegaze (alcest, llantlos etc...) (my avatar is from the great "souvenirs.. of Alcest). I live in argentina in southamerica, y play quake the first time in 98, i return to play quake in 2009 and i am modding since 2010. In the present i only use darkplaces to play or modding. quake 1 is my prefered game off course, but also i enjoy the silent hill series very much (shattered memories is my prefered SH ). i like read the work of Freud and Carl Gustav Jung, Lovecraft, Borges, etc... I put just one song from my favorite band
                  [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6oORTB4awM]Los Natas - Meteoro - YouTube[/ame]
                  the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

• I have not played

Comment

• Originally posted by Darajon View Post
                      I have not played
                      You should
                      uakene.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Frenzy View Post
                        Originally posted by Darajon View Post
                        I have not played
                        You should
                        Agreed.

Comment

• Hello,

My name is Johnny, aka Infje, I registered to ask you all the question of what made Quake so great? I made a thread for it here.

Comment

• 'ello Je m'appelle Cpt.Tripps.2012

What up! My name is Cpt.Tripps.2012 and I play on Xbox360 under the same name(with spaces instead of periods though).

I am a Game Developer at legendary power games. We do alot of classic style games and retrogrades. I was working a new title based off of the doom engine, when we got into a debate on Quake vs. Unreal and Quake vs. Quake II. several days later, here I am. I'm trying to set up a quake server so I can make my point, obviously I'm pro Quake I.

I first played quake in 1997 when I was a freshman in college. i have been in love with it ever since. I keep my original quake disc in a safe with my other important documents (mostly for the NIN soundtrack).

After much scouring I managed to find the final versions of Team Fortress and Starwars CFT for quake I and can't wait to get them up in running, but first I have to figure out how to get the server up. I think I have forgotten more about quake then I ever knew!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cpt.Tripps.2012 View Post
                              What up! My name is Cpt.Tripps.2012 and I play on Xbox360 under the same name(with spaces instead of periods though).

I am a Game Developer at legendary power games. We do alot of classic style games and retrogrades. I was working a new title based off of the doom engine, when we got into a debate on Quake vs. Unreal and Quake vs. Quake II. several days later, here I am. I'm trying to set up a quake server so I can make my point, obviously I'm pro Quake I.

I first played quake in 1997 when I was a freshman in college. i have been in love with it ever since. I keep my original quake disc in a safe with my other important documents (mostly for the NIN soundtrack).

After much scouring I managed to find the final versions of Team Fortress and Starwars CFT for quake I and can't wait to get them up in running, but first I have to figure out how to get the server up. I think I have forgotten more about quake then I ever knew!
                              welcome to the community, im very interested in seeing where u can help take us.

Comment

• welcome guys, and bonjour capt.

Comment

Working...
                                X