Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some of us here do map for those other games (Quake II is my favourite both to play and to map for). A lot of us are just here because we enjoy playing Q1, though.
    Command, I got a problem here...

Comment

• I map all the time, RAND MCNALLY ROAD ATLAS. Map out my routes to deliver those goodies.

Comment

• Originally posted by PikaCommando View Post
        why map for Quake instead of DN3D, Half-Life, Serious Sam or even Quake 2 and Quake 3? What are the pros and cons of mapping for Quake?
        Pros:
        The QC code can run in any open-source engine, so almost any mod will be able to run your maps in any platform.
        The maps are truly 3D, so you can have a lot more artistic freedom than in 2D sector-based maps.
        Quake has some of the most advanced custom engines ever made. Darkplaces and FTEQW blows most of those other engines away.

Cons :
        The original BSP format doesn't support smooth lighting across curves. Q3BSP's curved surfaces does.
        Importing textures is awkward. Tools like Fimg have palette problems, and the textures have to be packed into WADs before the editors can use them. All those other games use individual external textures instead.
        All textures are limited to a single 8 bit palette.
        Full 3D mapping takes a lot more time than 2D sector mapping.

Those are the main points for me.
        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
        ==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
        Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube

Comment

• Hi guys,

William, 21 from France here.
          Just joined the forum because I used to play Quake in the past, and I keep really good memories.
          hacker snapchat android
          points fifa 16 gratuit
          myfreecams downloads
          téléchargement album gratuit
          Looking forward to spending good times here.
          Cya peeps!
          Last edited by Spynity; 05-09-2016, 05:43 AM.

Comment

• I'm SaladMiXXer. I've recently become stuck with a laptop that can barely run Quake 3 at a decent clip. I popped in my Quake 1 CD on a whim and was pleasantly surprised to find that half of the single player levels are leagues ahead of anything in more recent games anyway, so now I'm hooked.

Comment

• Originally posted by SaladMiXXXer View Post
              I popped in my Quake 1 CD on a whim and was pleasantly surprised to find that half of the single player levels are leagues ahead of anything in more recent games anyway, so now I'm hooked.
              Welcome XXX. That's because Quake 1's level design is based around letting the player save as often as they want, so there's no excuse to making the levels insanely unfair and full of traps. Fuck some of those mission pack levels though.. Plus you can't go wrong with H.P. Lovecraft inspiration. Levels in FPS games back then weren't linear either.

Comment

• Hello guys!

I'm Francesco, sadly from Italy.
                I'm 16 now, and I first encountered Quake when I was 4.
                Well... not Quake One. My first game EVER was, indeed, Quake III Arena, when I was 4, and it was fuc***g awesome.
                I love the ENTIRE Quake saga... still: I haven't played 'em all yet.
                The one I've beaten are Quake 1 (a year ago) and Quake III Arena (when I was 4).

I think I'm one of the very few of a shitty generation that listens to metal, play only PC, and enjoys great classics.

I'm also a ''redactor'' for a small italian site.
                Soon I'll be releasing my interview to Sandy Petersen, both in italian and in english, so you can read it!

And well: I started a few days ago to get interest in level designing. I downloaded TrenchBroom and trying to figure it out on how it works, following some tutorials.

Probably you'll see me a lot here in this forum, hehe.

I hope to be nice to you... I'm not nice only to people who is not nice to me and to racists/xenophobs.

Yay!

Comment

• Hi Francesco. Welcome. I'm from Germany. Nice to have more Europeans here. Italy is cool.
                  Scout's Journey
                  Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

• Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                    Hi Francesco. Welcome. I'm from Germany. Nice to have more Europeans here. Italy is cool.
                    Cool!

Anyway nah. Germany is cool... I'd like to live in Germany or even better in America.

I mean... Italy is a veeeery cool place, but not a very cool place to live.
                    and italians aren't really nice people... they have old minds and have lot of prejudices.

Comment

• Originally posted by activa View Post
                      Cool!

Anyway nah. Germany is cool... I'd like to live in Germany or even better in America.

I mean... Italy is a veeeery cool place, but not a very cool place to live.
                      and italians aren't really nice people... they have old minds and have lot of prejudices.
                      There are stupid people as well as cool people everywhere Francesco.
                      Scout's Journey
                      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

There are stupid people as well as cool people everywhere Francesco.
                        ahahaha, yeah I know, but in Italy it's the majority!

Comment

• Originally posted by activa View Post
                          ahahaha, yeah I know, but in Italy it's the majority!
                          I get the same feeling about Germany sometimes, too.
                          Scout's Journey
                          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I get the same feeling about Germany sometimes, too.
                            Okay.. I admit that here in Italy people hasn't a very nice impression about Germany, but here's what I think: uhm.. the only thing to be ashamed of that you have is Tokio Hotel ^^
                            At least seen but an outsider!
                            Here in Italy every state makes jokes on us, European states like France, Spain, indeed Germany, etc. in particular.

So trust me: Italy is worse!
                            Anyway, hope I'll enojy my being here in QuakeOne.com, though!
                            It, ehm... it seems cool! Just I hope to keep ''mapping'' too! hehe

Comment

• Quick Hello

Decided to return to Q1 and see how the scene survived over the past 18+ years. I am surprised to see the amount of activity and dedication that still remains over the years. I hope to give back to the community as this game was once part of my life for many years. I also hope to re-unite with some of the oldies - I know many still linger here. I was on mplayer as utero and later helped to found Seismic Threat clan with Jinks and other before retreating to the dark side of QW j/k. Its good to be back!

Comment

• wow thats a lot of posts.
                                coque cuir Nexus 9 housse Nexus 9
                                Last edited by MMMechin; 02-01-2015, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X