This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi,
    I'm a long time current player of Doom/Doom2 but started out with Wolfenstein 3d. When computers stopped with the DOS, I had to stop with the Quake. Today I decided to figure out how to get those two quake CD's up and running on my 64 bit computer.

Is quakespasm an easy port to use? My goal is SP.
    Thank you, Barbara

Comment

• Originally posted by wolfie3dfan View Post
      Hi,
      I'm a long time current player of Doom/Doom2 but started out with Wolfenstein 3d. When computers stopped with the DOS, I had to stop with the Quake. Today I decided to figure out how to get those two quake CD's up and running on my 64 bit computer.

Is quakespasm an easy port to use? My goal is SP.
      Thank you, Barbara
      Welcome, Barbara!

Quakespasm is definitely a great and easy engine to use. First, install Quake as you would on any computer through the guided wizard from your original Quake discs [hopefully they contain Winquake... if not, jump to my edit below] Once installed, download the Quakespasm version relative to your system here (which would be the 64bit Windows most likely)

Extract the zip folder, place all the files contained in the folder into your newly installed original Quake root directory and then run quakespasm.exe ! You can then adjust your video options and other keyboard settings to your likings via the in-game menus.

Edit: If your original Quake discs are not Windows compatible whatsoever, I'd recommend buying it on Steam for simplicity sake. Unsure of your familiarity with Steam, but it's essentially a computer game-store and management library. It will do all the grunt work of installing games and updating them for you.
      Last edited by Dark_Duke; 09-05-2016, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dark_Duke View Post
        Welcome, Barbara!
        Thank you Dark _ Duke, I will head over to Steam as I'm pretty sure my cds don't have windows capable installer.

Comment

• Number Six

Hey Quake()ne members!

Number Six is my current internet avatar. Cataboligne was the previous.

Synopsis

I've been making games since I got a C64 in 1983. Am I famous? Hah-hah. Mostly only to my moddb fans.
          Code wise I am heavily invested in Quake-C. So I do a lot of quake development.
          Currently I am trying to earn a living from my gaming passions on Patreon.
          I intend to release a lot of my unpublished code and materials. This includes my pen and paper / tabletop RPG items.

My current idea for a game is a puzzle game based on my hybrid maphack game platform.

Historical

First program: DOS written in Z80 assembler for the TRS-80 model I - circa 1982

First system: Commodore 64

Favorite computer game: Archon
          Favorite arcade game: Gauntlet

First quake note:

96 may 28: - 1st map in BSP

My quake clan:

clan Arioch - source: Arioch, Lord of the Seven Darks, Knight of the Swords, Lord of the Higher Hell

First mod:

--- START of quantlet v1
          97 dec 24: - did 1st ghost and grunt skins.

Major qc code bases:

Quantlet - 24 Dec 97
          Chaos mod Mark I - 29 Aug 03
          Painkeep v1.2 - 14 Apr 2006
          Painkeep 2.0 - 25 Mar 08
          Chaos mod Mark II (the Archons) - 29 Mar 10
          Generations WDQ - 17 May 11
          Maphack game platform - 19 May 14
          Quake Hack - 24 Jul 14
          qc++ (v1.06 recoded) - 21 Nov 14
          Archon (Chaos mod Mark III) - 17 Jan 16

Current Projects:

Open world puzzle / adventure game - based on: Maphack game platform
          PainKeep 3.0 - unbundled from Archon project
          Quake Hack - a nethack inspired version of Quake!

If you would like access to my unreleased code, current project snapshots and other amazing items,
          go to Six Gaming on Patreon and select a support level

Support free code and get credit! - Hint "Pledge 24" comes with extra releases.

Comment

• Hey 6,
            Glad to see you here,
            I owe you a debt for all the help you gave me on mod db.

*tips hat.*
            Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
            https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
            https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
            https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

• Initially, I didn't really care much for Quake. I've always respected and admired the game, but for the longest time I really hated the game's visual aesthetics. Inspired by Zero Punctuation's review a month back, I decided to give the game another go. Been playing a ton of the game ever since. I feel like a father that's finally decided to spend time with his long neglected son, and has been really going out of his way for his son to overcompensate for all the years he missed his son's little league baseball games.

My introduction to the series was Quake 3, which was the first online fps I ever got into. Quake 2 is also a game that clicked with me instantly, although I don't think it's anywhere near as incredible as Quake 1 is. Quake 2 was far too easy, and lacked the speed, intensity and atmospheric qualities of its predecessor. It was still a kick ass game, but wasn't by any means a masterpiece.

Doom is still easily my favourite fps (I also post on Doomworld), but in the one month I've been playing, it's no stretch for me to call Quake one of my favourite games of all time.

Comment

• Hello All, I been playing quake since i was a kid, I played all those old school shooters duke nukem quake and doom. As i got older i started playing around with duke nukem modding and ever since then i loved it i mod for duke nukem and doom aswell. But i think its time to stop with 2d pixel art and codding for those games and get into 3d modeling i really need a helping hand on where to get start what programs are good to use and such if you guys dont mind lending a helping hand i would be much appreciated

Comment

• Welcome aboard TDQDG1234!

Unfortunately, I don't know 3D modelling. When i wanted to, i found Blender's interface to be intimidating.

Oh, hey Ajora.

Comment

• And yet, according to many modelers, Blender is very easy to master compared to other programs.
                    ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                    ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

• That's what I heard, which is why i got it. Guess 3D modelling just isn't for me.

Comment

• hello my name is sanjay baghela from london

Comment

• Hello guys!

The name is Cocerello, pronounced in English same as /Kozerejo/, with the ''r'' pronounced as in coherence. I come from Galicia, the one in Western Europe, not the one in Eastern. And as you will see and unfortunately for everyone i tend to write walls of text.

Began with first person shooters with Wolf3d which was played in my group for long, Doom and Duke3d passed fast and i barely remember them, but Quake was in the hard drive for a long time due to a friend giving me a copy of the install of Worldcraft 1.1.2 which i still have around to tweak old maps, plus another of Quark which i never got to like.

Mapped a lot for SP always more than played but never uploaded my maps because first, i could barely get things done because i was the only one i knew that mapped so i was self taught, and second the thought that there was people out there on Internet that shared their knowledge and maps never crossed my mind, back then everything was relying on friends for anything computer related. Only got to complete one map and produced a dozen of half done ones, with no enemies and plenty to explore and traps to fall for, as back then i couldn't kill even a single fiend.

Later in 1999 after many failed attempts at learning by myself UnrealEd, went back to WC and made several DM arena maps, plus some unfinished, small on purpose to avoid some technical constraints of mapping which were very arcane to me back then.

Abandoned it, till around 2010 i felt the urge for playing Quake again and went to get something called custom fan-made engines and specifically one i heard about, Tenebrae.

So came in full and started mapping again for SP and made several speed-turtlemaps which i love as they allow me to get many ideas and experiments (every map of mine is an experiment) done fast and not having to work on them for months or years, plus uploading to Quaddicted the only SP map i completed till now, which was the second one i tried to complete back in 199x.
                          Also participated in last's year Quake 2 DM mapping contest with two maps.

Have been lurking and leeching in this community since then and have to thank the community and its members for providing me with reasons for staying around. As you can see I registered only to answer Voros, he has to have some special charisma to make me register after 5 years of lurking.

Originally posted by Voros View Post
                          That's what I heard, which is why i got it. Guess 3D modeling just isn't for me.

Nah, it is just that the learning curve is more steep than usual and that it relies a lot on shortcuts. Just give it more time. It is worth the time, and there is some utilities to move brushwork between Blender and Quake editors.
                          Last edited by Cocerello; 10-15-2016, 04:52 AM.

Comment

• hey i'm charlotte and i'm fairly new to Quake. Been obsessed with Doom 1 and 2 for the past couple years and bought Quake 1 for N64 a couple months ago. had a terribly difficult time with it due to the N64 controller (ugh) but since I've downloaded Proquake for my PSP it's become one of my fave games ever.

also i bought a Sega Dreamcast and have been playing Quake 3 split-screen on occasion

Comment

• Welcome charlotte.

Comment

• I was rhiza/rogue as pesky 14-year-old IRC and observer troll. Then I became a DM2 1v1 GOD and then later briefly in clan Kapitol and a few other clans that I can't really remember.

I really miss my dear friends allen and lifer and y0rk. idiot noobs IF YUO EVER SEE THsIS PLEASE EMAILE ME

also big fan of p3rmafr0st, cK-GruN, wilder, demiurge, vise, his lil bro T1TTY W0MB4T, and fuck I can't remember anything else

Comment

Working...
                                X