Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental ProQuake Server Patch

ProQuake Server Patch

This code has been running on quake.ihoc.net for about 3 years now and on a couple of other servers and was modified by Yugo2Heck.

The goal of the patch is as a server-side fix to the Connection Accepted problem that clients without an NAT patch experience. And it fixes that problem just fine.

(winquake.exe, glquake.exe have problem .. but not ProQuake/JoeQuake/QRack/DarkPlaces)

It's not particular important from that aspect as most players don't use the originals anymore.

Will this code allow a ProQuake server in -dedicated mode to operate without changing firewall or router settings?

This is the more interesting question.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Since I switched to Qrack my constant disconnecting issue has been obliterated (at least on Shmack, maybe? It's the only server I've really been playing on). I can actually have fun playing Quake on dialup again! And here I thought it was some kind of evil bot searching for my IP address and spamming my internet connection with DOA's, hahaha! I'ma so parinoid sometimes. It was a conspircy by the Yugo2Heck to force people into buying broadband all along! It didn't work on me buddy! Bahahaha! I can't get broadband....
    "It may disturb you. It scares the willies out of me. " -Slartibartfast

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
      Will this code allow a ProQuake server in -dedicated mode to operate without changing firewall or router settings?
      No, but it does greatly simplify the configuration. Since only local port 26000 (or whatever is specified with the -port option) is used by the server, that is the only port that must be opened or forwarded. Compare this to other Quake servers, which select a separate "random" server-side port number for each connected client -- every possible port in the "random selection" range (usually thousands of them) would have to be opened at the firewall and/or forwarded if the server lives behind a NAT router.

Comment

I'd like to see more servers try the patch (I almost had Diazoild talked into it last year), it's the only server-side executable that the original Quake executables can connect to with modern DSL/Cable modems with built-in routers.

I'm not so much a fan of the original Quake executables, but it's better that those players can connect than not be able to figure out what is going on and being unable to play.

Originally posted by IEEE
        I can't get broadband....
        Yeah you can, just pay HughesNet $600 down and $99 per month and they'll hook you up with satellite internet, heh.

[You could buy a car for that amount, heh. I think it uses a phone line for the upstream, but I've heard that it is very good for surfing the internet.]
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

You won't be happy playing Quake over a satellite connection unless you're a big fan of 1000+ ping times.

They use geosynchronous satellites which are 25,000 miles above the equator. Call it 30,000 miles from wherever you are. The speed of light is 186,282 miles per second, so the satellite is about 160 ms away. To get a packet to the server and back you have to go up to the satellite, back down to earth, across the internet to the server, back across the internet, back up to the satellite, and back down to you. That's 4*160 plus twice across the internet... In practice most users see game pings around 1000, some as high as 2000.

Comment

Thats why you need TIme warner Cable. Its the fastest around and only costs $50 a month.

Comment

hmm i think i like my dsl 14.95 a month for a whole year.
              This body holding me,reminds me of my own mortality.
              Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal,all this pain is an illusion.

Comment

DSL?!! And u ping 0-20? You must be close to the serevr or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Yugo2Heck
                  You won't be happy playing Quake over a satellite connection unless you're a big fan of 1000+ ping times.

They use geosynchronous satellites which are 25,000 miles above the equator. Call it 30,000 miles from wherever you are. The speed of light is 186,282 miles per second, so the satellite is about 160 ms away. To get a packet to the server and back you have to go up to the satellite, back down to earth, across the internet to the server, back across the internet, back up to the satellite, and back down to you. That's 4*160 plus twice across the internet... In practice most users see game pings around 1000, some as high as 2000.
                  I'll be damned, Yugo. Your powers of prediction are awesome.

I am on satellite internet right now and I connected to a server and got a ping of 1200. It's very good for the internet though, compared to dial-up.

Of course, the only reason for anyone to use satellite internet is because they can't use cable/DSL. Still, it's not too bad all things considered.

But useless for Quake, as I can see.

Comment

i'll keep my 14.4 usr dual standard just in case!
                    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I have an old Cardinal 26.6K and 56k Viking.

Comment

Lo.
                        Not sure if this info is of any use and I'll avoid the endless waffling on and on about how/why I haven't been able to connect to any European servers for over 6 months ! (I moved town and now share a router connex) but I just happened to try the Ihoc RocketWar using Fitzquake 080 and I connected !
                        Well I'll be dipped in dogshit. (though I'm not exactly used to 140 pings)
                        Still can't connect to any other servers in Europe, (Im in the Uk) haven't tried all the US ones tho.
                        My flatm8 'says' he's tried DMZ but still no joy, and I haven't got access to the router.

tata

H
                        "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink" - Sir Henry of Rawlinson End

LastFM - [Noise]

Comment

The problem is that FitzQuake does not have an NAT fix. You will be endlessly frustrated with trying to connect to any server with FitzQuake with your equipment.

IHOC has an experimental server-side patch which does not require an NAT fix on the client side.

However, since about 95% of players that connect to Quake servers use ProQuake, JoeQuake, QRack or DarkPlaces (otherwise, they aren't going to be connecting, of course), it is really doubtful that it would be possible to convince very many server operators to switch away from what they already use.

The best solution would be to get an NAT fix in FitzQuake.

I have brought this issue up before regarding FitzQuake -- being the only major client without an NAT fix -- so far to no avail.

If you would be so kind as to post in thread and advocate an NAT fix for the next release of FitzQuake, I would appreciate it.

http://www.celephais.net/board/view_...33116&start=95

It is not possible for me to recommend the use of FitzQuake for players who I believe might try to connect to a server with it. Then the next thing they would say is "WTF? This can't connect to a server. What a p.o.s."

(That's how most players talk, I'm not trying to be dramatic)

Anyway, if I were to advocate it much more than I do, considering the bulk of the participants here are NetQuake multiplayer types, they would try it and then the reputation of the client would be diminished and they would view my advice as very poor advice and have less faith in things I say in the future.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Baker. (Sorry for the late response, I was on the bog
                            Interesting info.
                            Understandably I can't see many servers changing too soon.
                            Strangely enough, I have/did try just about all the different clients;
                            glpro, win, glxpro, glxpro+ etc etc. All no joy, including Qrack as my most recent try. This also included a full fresh Quake install straight from the original cd, (yes, I bought one)
                            Of course, now my flatm8 is aware that I can connect to Ihoc, he is convinced the network is all ok and once again, blames me/my files in some way. But I've also I've discovered I can now connect to QW servers with Ezquake. Port 26000 just doesn't love me anymore
                            I'm always roaming around Func_ I'll keep an eye out for any posts regarding the NAT fix.
                            Thanks again.
                            Sorry about going off topic.

H
                            "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink" - Sir Henry of Rawlinson End

LastFM - [Noise]

Comment

Sir Henry,

Did u ever try to add the -ip command line like this ? :
                              glpro.exe -ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (xxx = current internet ip)
                              My servers for the gamers:
                              bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
                              port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
                              Offline ATM
                              fvf.servequake.com
                              flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
                              Offline ATM
                              newdm.servequake.com
                              port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X