T1 for home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T1 for home

id like to bring quake to the next level, im sick of mediocre pings, what do you think about getting a t1 for home?, i have att dsl 3 mbps, and verizon FIOS is not offered in my area, i think COX cable may be offered in my area not sure about the pings, and time warner sucks, so it boils down to latency and routing,

I've had T1's in my homes.

It really is hit or miss. Once you're out onto the public networks its all about the routing.

I've switched from T1 to cable. T1 really is only good for uptime. Now I have cable and have great pings and way more bandwith. I can do more things on my network without messing up my ping.

With T1's limited bandwith, any other network traffic will really affect your q1 gameplay.

One thing you can do with some cable providers is change your mac/ip to get different routing. You keep doing this until you have a solid ping to the servers you want to play at.

I would definitely try cable before you try T1.

Comment

I would argue against the T1. Most likely, it will be quite expensive (if the provider will even install at your house, as some require a 'business location'). You'd only be getting 1.5mbps up and down as Planetnine mentioned. They'd have to come install a CSU/DSU, and then you'd have to purchase a router capable of handling the timeslots (1-24) (Cisco with a t1 wic, for example). Major hassle for a home connection.

Do you suffer from generally bad pings or bad spiking?

Comment

Working...
      X