How common are ping spikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How common are ping spikes?

I'd like to be able to say I have options. Except I don't. Both DSL and Cable. My Mac(s) and my Windows machine. Directly connected to my cable modem or through my router. Speaknow or Rage or Texas. Not just Quake. Urban Terror too or Quake 3 modifications like Open Arena and ... well ... all the other ones. And Quakeworld [played several games on Maraakate's Undergate coop server ... every 5 seconds or so --- spike + lag ... bad enough I was usually automatically dead if I had to walk carefully around lava].

And I'm not talking just Windows. Not even mainly Windows [I'm rarely using Windows, actually]. Not sure if Xbox "hides the lag" somehow in a way something like Urban Terror doesn't, I don't seem to get this on Xbox but those games blow (woohoo! Hide and snipe! Or shoot the zombies repetitively ...).

Is this common? Or am I just exceptionally unlucky?

It isn't the provider, the operating system, the engine, the game or even the router .... and I never had any of this 2 years ago.

[Maybe I am just complaining ... but ... ]
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Its KIMP deploying is army on your IP.

Comment

hehe

Comment

Baker, I had a weird dream yesterday that someone told me you were 'Dusty Baker'. The manager of the Cincinnati Reds, but you were secretly a big Quake fan who posts on the forums. LOL

http://www.obstructedview.net/wp-con...-toothpick.jpg

and no I'm not joking

Comment

Way back in College when I studied Digital electronics - and there were no computer networks, the professor had a hand build 8 bit 8085 cpu on a prototype board with just the rudimentary functions and the minimum operating RAM. Without our knowledge, he loaded a program into it , and it crashed, then he supplied it as a test to the classroom to figure out what was the problem. No one could figure it out because clearly it would take the entire semester or more for the smartest person in their spare time to perform all the tests, so the next day he announced what he did, and wrote on the blackboard: " garbage in, garbage out".

Think of what the ' right garbage ' can do on a network as vast as what is out there today. There are no more genuises operating at the data centers who care anymore what happens to the network long term, and more than likely there is stuff out of their control or they just balme someone else as its their problem. Could be something simple as a broken or loose wire somewhere, but good luck finding someone who really wants to keep the customer happy with a sold connection. Waterboarding yourself may be more rewarding that navigating the system of retards they got out there now who claim they are in the customer service department.

Comment

I get small spikes in my ping, 10, 20, or 30+, i normally ping around 30 - 50, sometimes more depending on the server and my spikes are usually around 10 or 30 increases.. but its not noticeable in game play to me, and completely random not constant. run traceroute i guess.. DSLReports Home : Broadband ISP Reviews News Tools and Forums and try a line quality test.. maybe even use a sniffer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage View Post
              Baker, I had a weird dream yesterday that someone told me you were 'Dusty Baker'. The manager of the Cincinnati Reds, but you were secretly a big Quake fan who posts on the forums. LOL

http://www.obstructedview.net/wp-con...-toothpick.jpg

and no I'm not joking
              Heh. Ok then!

Originally posted by ninjamonkeyz View Post
              I get small spikes in my ping, 10, 20, or 30+, i normally ping around 30 - 50, sometimes more depending on the server and my spikes are usually around 10 or 30 increases..
              My ping was like this .... a few seconds of 45 ping and then 900 ping. A few seconds of 45 ping and then 900 ping.

I didn't check pq_maxfps, maybe I had it to some stupid value for testing something like 9999. This could very well be the source of my woes. I commonly jack the fps to the maximum for engine testing.
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

What is ur fps then , what do u ping in dosprompt, try formatting. And no router

Comment

Originally posted by powerzord View Post
                  What is ur fps then , what do u ping in dosprompt, try formatting. And no router
                  I never thought about my fps at the time. I plugged my ethernet cord straight into my cable modem at some point to see if that would fix my fps (and left it plugged into my cable modem) but it didn't.

Comment

Baker,

Have you optimized your MTU and RWIN settings? Or changed them recently?
                    QuakeOne.com
                    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                    Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                    Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                      Baker,

Have you optimized your MTU and RWIN settings? Or changed them recently?
                      I have a new router and haven't touched anything.

However, I get the problem connected directly to the cable modem too. So it can't be the router.

I checked my fps settings, they were the default 72 fps. So it wasn't the "too high fps setting issue".

I'll just have do a lot of experimentation and hope it isn't my ISP I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by powerzord View Post
                        try formatting. And no router

I agree with Zord. When in doubt, wipe and format.

If that doesn't work, maybe turn the computer upside down and try formatting again.

Comment

....does this mean baker is going to actually be playing some quake??????

Comment

he did play quake, last night!

GG's last night Baker, while it lasted. haha
                            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                              My ping was like this .... a few seconds of 45 ping and then 900 ping. A few seconds of 45 ping and then 900 ping.
                              I have an almost identical experience to that. I often play on US servers such as FFANY and Shmack and connecting from the UK you tend to expect a 120+ ping. However over the last couple of months it's been bouncing between 140-4000+ regularly. All other traffic seems unaffected.

At the moment I'm using your Proquake engine, version 4.51 as I recall, and am using a 20Mb cable connection hardwired (no wireless) through a non shared router.

In some ways I'm sorry to see it's not just me for whom Quake is bordering on the unplayable.

Let's hope it's just a temporary glitch (for us both)

Kind regards

Monty
                              Mr.Burns
                              "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                              WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                              Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Working...
                              X