No announcement yet.

How common are ping spikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I connected to Shmack to test my connection. I get dropped datagrams every 5 to 10 seconds. This is annoying.

I'm trying to think of options. I'd almost like to look at these datagrams to see in what manner they are "messed up".

I plan on reworking the network code eventually and but I so much don't have that kind of time now (and I'm not sure if doing so would fix this kind of problem).

I was able to play some fairly respectable CA, but then again CA doesn't have self-damage so if I accidentally blast the wall I don't kill myself, but I did fall in the water several times.

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
    GG's last night Baker, while it lasted. haha
    I was messing around on my Windows machine and saw 6 people on Rage including you and Phenom. I was coding some stuff but said the hell with it and besides I had a couple of Bud Light Lime in the fridge I enjoyed playing even though my connection wasn't very good.
    Last edited by Baker; 03-29-2012, 02:44 PM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

better usage of network resources for Q1 would be nice.
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Optimal MTU on PPPoE DSL should be at 1492. Most cable connections sit at standard 1500 (ethernet mtu).

Rwin (receive window size) is only for TCP and is irrelevant for Quake's UDP.

Comment

I'd like to be able to say I have options. Except I don't. Both DSL and Cable. My Mac(s) and my Windows machine. Directly connected to my cable modem or through my router. Speaknow or Rage or Texas. Not just Quake. Urban Terror too or Quake 3 modifications like Open Arena and ... well ... all the other ones. And Quakeworld [played several games on Maraakate's Undergate coop server ... every 5 seconds or so --- spike + lag ... bad enough I was usually automatically dead if I had to walk carefully around lava].
          So, you tried Windows with DSL and Cable, then Mac with DSL and cable?

Are the DSL and Cable provided by different companies?

Did any one of the above configurations prove to be better than the other?
          Go run several traceroutes under each configuration. Analyse them. Compare the windows+cable and mac+cable / windows+dsl, mac+dsl. My guess is that you'll find a router or two is performing poorly on one or both of those connections. If you do find something similar, you can contact your ISP with the documentation and they will usually fix the problem - might take a few attempts to get to their NOC. Unfortunately, a traceroute only reports half of the story. You'd need to run a traceroute from the remote server back to your WAN address to find the reverse route. Round trip doesn't always cross the same paths. This is what I found a few months ago with my own ISP - they fixed the problem.

Have your ISP check the cable signal/dsl signal. The problem could lie anywhere.

I don't think formatting is going to be a fix because you said the Mac did the same thing (That's 2 separate nics, os's, drivers, etc). However, if you feel like it, just boot into safe mode with networking to make certain that it isn't something running the background - malware/windowsupdate/some other internet connected bullshit. Better yet, boot a live linux distro and test.

So, you've got multiple games/servers in multiple locations doing this, tested with two computers, and have two internet connections available for testing. Haha. Totally sucks man. Do you live in a remote location? Kinda makes me imagine all internets out of your town going through one tiny pipe.

By the way, if you don't have control of the remote host that you are running your traceroutes to, you can get up to the last 9 routes of the return path via the ping command's feature 'return route'. ping -r 9 -a whatever.com
          Last edited by Tremor; 03-29-2012, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor View Post
            So, you tried Windows with DSL and Cable, then Mac with DSL and cable?

Are the DSL and Cable provided by different companies?
            Yep.

Originally posted by Tremor View Post
            Did any one of the above configurations prove to be better than the other?
            Not really

Do you live in a remote location? Kinda makes me imagine all internets out of your town going through one tiny pipe.
            I don't live in a small town, I'll probably have to investigate the "bother the ISP eventually route".

And yeah formatting doesn't seem useful since it happens on at least 3 different computers.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

In a theoretical universe with unlimited time, I'd want to look at those dropped datagrams and see if the datagrams could be salvaged.

Sure maybe the datagram is partially screwed ... but if by design it could be salvaged enough with maybe the player position encoded 2 or 3 times to just update the player entity. I think I could live a frame or 2 without quality info on other players as long my position in the map is known to me. This would avoid throwing out the whole datagram.

Or even use limited prediction even in NetQuake to "simulate what should be going on at least with the players". Still put an "icon" on the screen indicating a connection problem but keep doing the display with everything moving.\

So much room for improvement even with classic NetQuake.

Comment

pl is normally isp or pc resource issues, atleast in my experience with them from playing online.. most of the net_stats from console is 0-8 packet loss, but if there is a drop i normally get like 20 per second, untill its well over 1000 and unplayable, but that is very rare for me, and.. i keep fps to 200 i miss my gtx 295 and the 800 - 1000 fps.. if i decrease fps during game play to anything lower than 200 my ping increases to atleast 10 or 20+, or higher if i use default fps... I hope you get your ping issues resolved.

Comment

I find that "Dropped datagrams" is a misnomer in the quake world. Packet loss is not a matter of having a packet that was 'bad' or 'corrupt'. You can't salvage them. With UDP, a packet is sent, and the sender doesn't care if you got it or if you didn't - maybe it was late, maybe it was bad, maybe it was fragmented, doesn't matter. With TCP, a bad packet will be noticed by the receiver, and a request for a retransmit will occur. The sender will re-send the bad packet back to the receiver.

Unfortunately, the time delay between getting a bad packet, requesting a new one, and receiving a new/good packet is pretty useless for action games because the action has moved forward in time already. For that reason, UDP is used for most action games. If a packet arrives too late, it is simply discarded and shows up in your netstats as a dropped datagram.

Comment

Start small,
                    For the cable router
                    First host a server on one of your local boxes and test to make sure it is not something on your router causing the problem
                    For DSL
                    First, unplug all devices in the home connected to a phone jack and wait 15 minutes.
                    Second,Do a traceroute and then a line noise test.
                    At least this should show whether it is on your end or your isp.
                    Sounds like maybe a bad dns hop
                    I play with 200 ping and some pl alot and never wallhump.
                    You have bigger probs than small pl
                    Originally posted by muller View Post
                    I agree with Zord. When in doubt, wipe and format.

If that doesn't work, maybe turn the computer upside down and try formatting again.
                    ....... giggles.....
                    everybody knows you must turn it sideways!
                    Some times ,usually friday, some drunk plows into one of the switch boxs around my hood or cable guy breaks then patchs the line and the shit starts after about 2-3 days of rain.... hehehe.
                    here is some help for the line test to see if it may be noise spikes
                    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
                    Last edited by bluntz; 03-30-2012, 03:22 PM.
                    WARNING
                    May be too intense for some viewers.
                    Stress Relief Device
                    ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                    ---------------------------
                    .--------------------------

Comment

Working...
                    X