Quake and quakeworld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake and quakeworld

What are the main differences between them? I read that quake world has newer netcode as quake wasn't designed for internet play.

Which do you prefer and why?

Sorry for being a

Originally posted by Gavin View Post
    What are the main differences between them? I read that quake world has newer netcode as quake wasn't designed for internet play.

Which do you prefer and why?

Sorry for being a
    Try both, decide for yourself. The Quakeworld site is quakeworld.nu.

Quake (NetQuake) has oldschool netcode. It does not compensate for lag, has no prediction ... if you ping or connection is bad, you won't like the experience, but the experience for some is more satisfying.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

If you live in North America you can try Quakeworld 4v4 Draft League

I prefer NetQuake cause its more raw feel, if you have a good ping.
      DarkPlaces for me would be the QW killer. Yet there needs to be a total conversion to take advantage of all that DP offers.

If you just want to play singleplayer to it fullest then use (Net)Quake.
      Such a weird misnomer, NET-Quake. When QW was meant for interNET play. who knows. I think the QW guys came up with that nickname.
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
        If you live in North America you can try Quakeworld 4v4 Draft League

I prefer NetQuake cause its more raw feel, if you have a good ping.
        DarkPlaces for me would be the QW killer. Yet there needs to be a total conversion to take advantage of all that DP offers.

If you just want to play singleplayer to it fullest then use (Net)Quake.
        Such a weird misnomer, NET-Quake. When QW was meant for interNET play. who knows. I think the QW guys came up with that nickname.
        Yes you are correct, but there was tons of times when I would be like "Hey do you play Quake? Yea I do" and then I would find out later on,that they played QUAKEWORLD. Thats how I became to use the term NetQuake....For a very long time and even to this day Quakeworld boasts a larger community, but I still refuse to play it. I just simply could find better things to do lol.
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

the main difference between (net)quake and quakeworld is the locality of the servers and players.
          NQ is more common in north america, quakeworld is more common everywhere else, as a general rule.

there's also the problem of protocol incompatibility, you must use a client that supports the server's protocol.

quakeworld has generally lower latency, smaller packets, and prediction. Don't even try NQ over a 28k modem, where a 1k packet will block the modem for a quater of a second... NQ really sucks like that.
          quakeworld also has various tweeks to fix all NAT issues, and to work around the various buggy routers of the time.
          but it does sacrifice all interpolation on non-player entities depending purely upon packetrates.
          Due to the addition of prediction code, player physics were changed a bit with quakeworld. Some people prefer QW physics, some people prefer NQ (like r00k, but they're weird people that like laggy stuff, or just never liked bunnyhopping). I doubt were ever intended to be so different.

regarding the misnomer r00k mentions - 'net' as in network, quakeworld as in dialup. 'net' as a term for internet is a more recent thing. nq at the time was really only usable on network as in lan. The fact that its actually almost playable on the internet is a testament to moore's law's effects on internet connections.
          Put simply, NQ was written with lans and t1 connections in mind (carmack had a t1 - I'm jealous). QW was written with dialup in mind.

If DP was a QW killer, more people would actually use it for QW (as it supports either protocol). However, its performance just isn't there for serious play. See xonotic for a mod that does actually try to make the most of DP.
          Some Game Thing

Comment

I think the whole NQ is broken and QW is fixed concept is outdated in 2012. Show me a dialup Quaker in 2012 and I'll eat these sentences :F It made sense when we all crawled through narrowband connections but now that we all hot rod around cyberspace in our leet dsl/cable/fios connections. Seems like one of those outdated laws don't park your horse in front of the court house for longer than 1 hour type deals. Relevant at one time, but now obscured by the fact no one rides a horse.
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

True, QW physics can be emulated via QuakeC on netQuake servers.
              Even at a ticrate of 0.0138 the server will feel close to QW.

Zquake, DarkPlaces, and FTE can run both protocols. So if you have a single config you can just connect anywhere.
              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

mindz, depends if your ISP charges you by the megabyte or not.
                my qtv proxy project has the ability to sit between a qw server and an nq client. its quite tempting to package it up as some alternative net_wins.c or some such module for easy inclusion in nq engines, though long term you'd want all that stuff handled by the engine itself. not sure if it would ever actually get used though.
                Some Game Thing

Comment

QuakeTV? I would probably definately be interested. I tried awhile back using ASUS software,which resulted failure at every attempt....

ASUS <- awesome idea,NEVER ever fn worked. There are tons of people who complained about it.

Does NQ really eat that much more bandwidth than QW?
                  Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 04-20-2012, 03:17 PM.

Comment

QW physics vs NQ physics: everything you ever wanted to know | QuakeWorld.nu

Good reference to all or almost all differences between NQ and QW.

Comment

mindz, try cl_shownet 1 some time. it'll print the size of each packet the client receives.
                      nq's lack of deltaing can give quite large packets. get two people dueling with a nailgun and it gets even worse, and with nice spikes when you have two people letting rip with super shotguns even if they're on the other side of the map.
                      I've seen nq clients spamming servers with 2meg of movement data per second (so sayeth windows resource thingie), but that particular 'feature' is only possible with a decent framerate... (thankfully that wasn't over the internet - lossy impulses!)
                      but yeah, protocol15 is not the most efficient.
                      Some Game Thing

Comment

I did that, but then my console was flooded with a barrage of

OOF

Comment

shouldn't be that many spaces - I'd write that one up as an engine bug.
                          fte doesn't print any new lines at all, which is far more readable, still, all the info is there.
                          Some Game Thing

Comment

if you want QW physics try out QuakeLive...has a pretty large player base and physics are very similar to QW( i think..)

Comment

hehe. You said Quake Live lol

srry,Viva La (Net)Q1 brosephs.

Comment

Working...
                              X