need map editor sugestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need map editor sugestion

iv'e been looking for a good editor for quake maps, but i haven't found one that fits me. suggestions or tips on what to use would be greatly appreciated!
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

Unfortunately you really have to try them all and see which one fits you best. There's no way around it.

Start with trying Radiant and BSP, maybe.
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I like NetRadiant because it's portable and supposedly a fix for some GTKRadiant bugs/glitches.

If you are looking for extra simple I would Suggest WC3.3 with Quake adapter. You could learn the entire software in 20 minutes flat.

I didn't like BSP at all but that doesn't mean you shouldn't check it out

I believe you can make maps in QuArK and Blender as well

Actually if you have an .obj to .bsp (or maybe .map) conversion tool you could use DeleD CE. I like this editor a lot but it is not meant for making Quake maps. That doesn't mean you cant find a way to get a quake map using it though.
      Last edited by MadGypsy; 04-23-2012, 11:51 PM.
      http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

I'd be highly interested in hearing how QuArK compares to the others to a total newbie. It has a quite different usage and for me it was intuitive.
        Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

thanks for the feedback, ill try some of those suggestions out.
          My Avatars!
          Quake Leagues
          Quake 1.5!!!
          Definitive HD Quake

Comment

@Spirit - I can answer that from my view. I tried Quark when I was a total newbie and felt 100% lost in the 50,000 buttons. I don't think there is a map editor out there that can beat WC3.3 with the Quake adapter in simplicity. Unfortunately, I outgrew WC3.3 while I was writing the "Become a Quake Modder" thread, but I will always love it for what it is. I still don't like QuArK. It's cool how it's an "everything" editor but that starts pushing it in the league of other "everything" editors (like blender) and in comparison it is complete junk in my opinion.

I think the thing I hate the most is you are forced to model in tri's and that makes it exceptionally difficult to see what you are doing. I like to model in quads and convert to tris when I am done.

Comment

I actually used Quest before I switched to Radiant, and I believe negke also used Quest for a while, also until switching to radiant.

Radiant is probably an editor you switch to, as far as Quake mapping goes, when you outgrow your old editor.

Lots of people seem to start with worldcraft and some of the weirder ones like Quoole, Quark and Quest.

There is a map editor for Mac called ToeTag, and there is a new editor by SleepwalkR that I forget the name of. Let's complete the list while we're at it.
              Scout's Journey
              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                There is a map editor for Mac called ToeTag
                Willem is outstanding at what he does, but he made a few BAD, BAD choices in ToeTag that make it unusable. For example, mouse 3 is critical to making a map in ToeTag. Now, how exactly do I use mouse 3 on a Mac notebook? So this is effectively a desktop-only editor. What he did was outstanding, don't get me wrong. But has achilles heal.
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

You can not plug a normal mouse into a mac notebook?

When making maps, you definitely want to use a real mouse, not a touchpad or anything. You also want to use a large monitor, so you're not gonna map on a netbook or ipad for extended periods of time. That would be madness.

I know some people who use special mice for mapping, simply to avoid pain from the excessive mouse usage. Myself I put books under my mousing elbow, otherwise it starts to look nasty and hurts very quickly.

I have worn out a Razer mouse already by mapping, despite Razer's claims that their buttons last forever. I use a Logitech now; let's see how long it holds up.

I don't even want to imagine having to use a touchpad.
                  Scout's Journey
                  Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

.qc?

i need to know which qc file i need to make a spawn point in a map. please help.
                    oh, and when i click make entity, bsp "encounters a prob and needs to close"
                    My Avatars!
                    Quake Leagues
                    Quake 1.5!!!
                    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

You place an info_player_start for singleplayer spawns, info_player_coop for coop, and info_player_deathmatch for multiplayer.

No QC editing needed.

The crash is weird. ^^ Have to try and reproduce that.
                      Scout's Journey
                      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

This is probably not the best thread to post this question as your question does not match the topic. Maybe you should make a "BSP help" thread and see the type of responses you get with that. Most people have probably already summed it up that you need an editor and are aware that your question was answered. Other than GB and I no one may even be reading this.

Michael

Comment

Inside3d Forums • View topic - BSP Quake Editor - source code?

If you post your problem here, you may get answers by people who know what they're doing.

And SleepwalkR's editor is called Trench Broom, I just saw.
                          Scout's Journey
                          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Working...
                          X