X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

>.>

<.<

This whole situation is a tad surprising xD

You know, my father loves Duke Nukem 3D and DNF. But he did once say that the only similarity between Duke 1, 2 and 3D was the way Duke looked and that Duke Nukem 3D was an advanced DOOM with Duke in it and aliens instead of demons.

When I did history on computer games last summer (before completely getting into them) it seems like every game, or almost was a DOOM/Wolf3D clone. Heck, even Quake has the exact same gameplay goals as DOOM save that the 3D would gives neat new ways to do stuff.

To me, DNF is the same thing, only DOOM isn't the king of the crop anymore, it's CoD. What do they do? They make DNF, slap Duke and his enemies in it and thats it. It's like they follow whats popular at the time. I mean lets face it, when Duke 1 and 2 game out, everyone was probably playing Super Mario Bros 3.

This "isn't" a criticism per say because Duke 3D was fun to me, as is Quake. But in all honestly the first Quake game to be different in terms of levels goals from Doom, Wolf 3D and the rest of the lot was Quake 2. Why do I like Quake better then? Simple, because its more fun. I like the simple objectives of Doom. DNF wasn't fun to me, period. It doesn't mean I don't like the series or should hunt for reasons to try to convince someone why I think it's a bad game, I just think it is. Some stuff it did do right but it wasn't enough to make me want to play it through more than twice.

I gave it two run throughs and though it was slightly better the second time around, there wasn't anything new to find because the gameplay didn't make me feel obsessed. I liked the shrunken car rides, Duke Burger and that's about it. Driving parts were annoying, and the rest of the levels felt rushed and uninspired. It got "worse" in my opinion toward the end. Where DOOM 3 actually got better from the Hell level and up.

Something has made me play DOOM 3 through countless times (seriously i lost count) and whatever it is that Doom 3, Painkiller and even Duke 3D has, DNF doesn't for me. My father disagrees. He thought DNF was awesome.

So, to each their own. I'm not going to make arguments to prove him wrong and he surely isn't going to do the same.

Opinions are like bum holes people, every single one of us has one. But, as long as we don't try to make said opinions facts or put people out for not accepting them, we should be just fine xD

As for the Quake remake, or reboot. I think Id software knows what they're doing. To me, they couldn't possibly mess up more than Gearbox did with DNF.

Others will disagree.

FYI I have played almost all Duke games (even land of the babes) and enjoyed them. I'm not going to force myself to like DNF to be a "true fan" of the series.

I know some people who hate Final DOOM. Some people don't even mention the game or only played DOOM and not DOOM II. I wouldn't go about saying they aren't true DOOM fans.
    God be with you Ireland...

Comment

i think the whole point of the forums is to voice your opinion. arguing, while pointless in the wrong run, keeps our mnids sharp by looking for new ways to challenge our opponent(s) in a arena where our only weapons are words. as a matter of fact, i look forward to what the next post has to say.
      My Avatars!
      Quake Leagues
      Quake 1.5!!!
      Definitive HD Quake

Comment

:/ hi?

Comment

Originally posted by syluxman2803 View Post
          i think the whole point of the forums is to voice your opinion. arguing, while pointless in the wrong run, keeps our mnids sharp by looking for new ways to challenge our opponent(s) in a arena where our only weapons are words. as a matter of fact, i look forward to what the next post has to say.
          Why would anyone argue with you about it?! Besides this thread is about Duke Nukem Forever so I don´t see the point of this

Comment

Insisting that Duke Nukem Forever's "failure" is some how grounds of proof of why Quake1 remake will suck.

I detected bullshit and attempted to squash out the bullshit, MY BAD BRO DONT GRAPE ME.
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by ForestMan View Post
              Why would anyone argue with you about it?! Besides this thread is about Duke Nukem Forever so I don´t see the point of this
              hehe..
              My Avatars!
              Quake Leagues
              Quake 1.5!!!
              Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Who said DNF is the failure on grounds which Quake 5 will fail? O.o
                God be with you Ireland...

Comment

Bottom line, some serious Duke hating was happening and thats intolerable.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igEGbGfAsdc]Rip your head off and shit down your neck - YouTube[/ame]

Originally posted by Duke fn Nukem
                  I'll rip your head off and shit down your neck
                  Clearly, Duke Nukem could fn wear a pink tu tu and still be a 6pack of whup ass.

It was the equivalent to someone saying anything Metallica released after And Justice for All isn't heavy metal. Or arguing Slipknot isn't heavy metal, its lunacy of epic proportions !!
                  Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 05-17-2012, 11:58 PM.
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                    Clearly, Duke Nukem could fn wear a pink tu tu and still be a 6pack of whup ass.
                    hahaha, now you made me have that image in my head, of duke in a pink tutu fighting the overlord
                    that would be funny as hell to see

btw i didnt say i hated duke at all in any way, im a huge fan of duke myself.
                    i just personally dont like dnf.

i do have my own duke collection, i even have duke2 originally. or at least, i had, untill a few months ago i apparently accidentially threw it away when i was cleaning up my stuff
                    but i do still own an original copy of the duke3d CD-rom, which gladly also has free copies of duke1 and 2 on it
                    and i also own original copies of manhattan project and of dnf.

sadly never been able to own the others in the series like zero hour and land of the babes and time to kill though. but if i could ever get my hands on any of those, id totally buy them without a single second hesitation

anyways... lets get back to the actual topic this thread is about
                    enough duke, theres another thread on forums for that
                    Last edited by talisa; 05-18-2012, 04:57 AM.
                    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

but back on topic....

yeah it would be cool if they made a new quake game, and if they do i do hope they will make it in the style of quake1 again instead.

i totally love the strogg of quake2 and quake4 too though. but yeah, they're totally different games imo, they got zero to do with it quake1.

and quake1 is so much more cooler cuz it was more unique with all its weird and bizarre monsters and kick-ass weapons no other game has. and i dont know, but it might be a prob that fans would be expecting to much and would expect the game to be to much like quake1. but then again, ID has always delivered amazing games (except rage), and i doubt new games from ID suddenly will start to suck.

so if ID ever makes a new quake game, im sure it will be totally awesome
                      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

If Quake is ever remade or re-thought of as Quake 5 they should eliminate single player yes this goes for all you single player people who are scared to come play online even though you may have a hidden talent we dont know about!

Comment

i would think that idea would work. make it kind of like q3, but i would hate it if there was no offline play at all. thats the reason i will not get diablo 3.
                          My Avatars!
                          Quake Leagues
                          Quake 1.5!!!
                          Definitive HD Quake

Comment

no way, single player is the best part. and they totally should NOT make it like quake3, i hate quake3...

and im not scared, i just like sp and coop a lot more then dm. i never was much into that 'woo lets go circlestrafe each other all the time'. and runequake i dont like at all, to much wackyness and BS which imo ruins it for me

and i personally play games more for the fun, im not really competitive. i think its way more fun to go take on the monsters with some friends and laugh our asses off when we accidentially kill one another and such then to go run circles around each other in DM, just doesnt appeal to me really

so they totally shouldnt elimate SP at all. but maybe they could do like croteam did with serious sam, and add 16player coop, and some kickass coop modes, like beasthunt where you get waves of tons of enemies which spawn in, and other cool coop modes. so coop will be more fun and people will be more tempted to play coop

Comment

im not for the total elimination of sp, so if they did do a tourny format like thay did for q3 i wouldn't really mind, but i would prefer a traditional single player campaign, because not everyone is in to online play.
                              My Avatars!
                              Quake Leagues
                              Quake 1.5!!!
                              Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Working...
                              X