Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcement: LinRadiant level editor for Linux

Hi,

There is s new version of the Radiant editor for Linux. Very easy to build and/or install. Please, check out this WEB site if you are interested:

LinRadiant

I used GTKRadiant and Netradiant under Linux to make maps for years, but, uh, congratulations I guess.
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I think I should make the intentions of the LinRadiant project clear. It is not intended to replace GtkRadiant or NetRadiant. I am sure that many people have installed and successfully used those editors. LinRadiant is just a compatible alternative for new users who want to start mapping. It can do the same things as NetRadiant, but is easier to install, and IMHO has a larger amount of useful documentation included. Further development will focus more on usability (e.g. improving documentation, adding preconfigured gamepacks and map compiling tools, etc.) instead on adding yet more features.

Comment

Nice I may finally take the plunge.
        WARNING
        May be too intense for some viewers.
        Stress Relief Device
        ....BANG HEAD HERE....
        ---------------------------
        .--------------------------

Comment

I am not a big fan of forking. Why not join the Netradiant project and help improve that?
          Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

I have explained my reasons on the LinRadiant WEB page (read this). Anyway, LinRadiant is not a real fork. The code is the same, only the build/install system is new.

Comment

GCC 3.1 ? Seriously? And your testbed is 32 bit? I hope your kidding.
              WARNING
              Stress Relief Device
              ....BANG HEAD HERE....

Comment

Cut the guy some slack. Any contribution is probably a good contribution at this point.
                Scout's Journey
                Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Got it to compile with a ton of depreciation errors on GCC 4.4.5.1
                  However it wont run saying its not what was installed into the dir,even though I did not install it.
                  The bin is linradient.x86 and the log prints this error.

Started logging to g_string_free: assertion `string != NULL' failedradiant.log
                  Today is: Sat May 19 18:44:08 2012
                  This is NetRadiant '1.5.0n' compiled May 19 2012
                  LinRadiant for Linux by L. Menczel
                  GLib-CRITICAL **: g_string_free: assertion `string != NULL' failed
                  WARNING
                  Stress Relief Device
                  ....BANG HEAD HERE....

Comment

GCC 3.1 ? Seriously? And your testbed is 32 bit? I hope your kidding.
                    System used for building and testing:
                    Vector Linux 5.9 (kernel 2.6.22.14)
                    GCC version 4.1.2

Yeah, it is 32-bit. So what? Lots of people still use 32-bit distros. BTW, the guide on my WEB page states 'gcc >= 3.1'. It is a _minimum_ requirement, nobody says you have to use that version. The requirement section has been copied from the INSTALL manual of the NetRadiant package I used as a base.

As for the deprecation errors, please, go and pester the original developers of Radiant. I have not added any code myself (yet).

However it wont run saying its not what was installed into the dir ,even though I did not install it.
                    Why do you suppose it would run w/o proper installation? It needs a lot of data installed into a specific directory tree.

Also, a few details about your system would be rather helpful (machine, kernel version, Linux distro, etc.).
                    Last edited by menczel; 05-20-2012, 04:41 AM.

Comment

I compile netradiant myself and I don't "make install" it.

You can just cd to the Install dir and ./radiant.x86.

You can make install it or not, doesn't really make any difference. I just prefer stuff that's not installed by the distribution's package manager to be stored in my home dir.
                      Scout's Journey
                      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by menczel View Post
                        System used for building and testing:
                        Vector Linux 5.9 (kernel 2.6.22.14)
                        GCC version 4.1.2

Yeah, it is 32-bit. So what? Lots of people still use 32-bit distros. BTW, the guide on my WEB page states 'gcc >= 3.1'. It is a _minimum_ requirement, nobody says you have to use that version. The requirement section has been copied from the INSTALL manual of the NetRadiant package I used as a base.

As for the deprecation errors, please, go and pester the original developers of Radiant. I have not added any code myself (yet).

Why do you suppose it would run w/o proper installation? It needs a lot of data installed into a specific directory tree.

Also, a few details about your system would be rather helpful (machine, kernel version, Linux distro, etc.).
                        So what? So if you are starting a new project in 2012 I would expect to be able to run it on current hardware of course.
                        The depreciation errors are caused from using a current compiler 4.4 since it has been rewritten quite a bit since 3.1.Many of the options have changed.
                        As GB has stated it does not have to be installed to run and If you had made a proper deb or rpm or any effort at all to make uninstalling it simple , I would have installed it.
                        I compiled it on Debian squeeze 64 kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64
                        I will install the 32 bit libs and attempt to run this again,if it runs I will make a deb for it.
                        Last edited by bluntz; 05-20-2012, 02:01 PM.
                        WARNING
                        Stress Relief Device
                        ....BANG HEAD HERE....

Comment

Hi,

I added a 'make install' option so that users can select their preferred location for the editor. I remember now that I was a bit puzzled about why the original build system puts the executable to an 'install' directory within the build tree. To me it seems to be a bit unusual and messy. Anyway, my install procedure copies all the stuff to a single directory, so uninstalling is as simple as 'rm -r <install-dir>'. I think this should be explained in the install guide. I will add a note soon.

Since the install directory is specified in 'config.mak', you are free to chose a directory within the build tree if you prefer it that way. 'make install' also automatically configures the gamepacks according to data you add to 'config.mak', so that you don't have to edit the gamepack files manually.

I compiled it on Debian squeeze 64 kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64
                          I will install the 32 bit libs and attempt to run this again,if it runs I will make a deb for it.
                          Thanks, I appreciate your efforts. But please, try to edit 'config.mak' and run 'make install' as described in the guide. Otherwise I am afraid the editor will not work (it will probably miss some essential data).

Comment

Windows version of LinRadiant

Hi,

Finally -- after getting advice on the Xonotic forum -- I was able to make a Windows version of LinRadiant as well. It is as easy and simple to build and configure as the Linux version. The LinRadiant WEB site (LinRadiant) has been redesigned and updated. It contains now a lot of stuff including:

Source and binary packages for Linux and Windows
                            Detailed instructions about how to build and configure LinRadiant (for both Linux and Windows)
                            Detailed instructions about how to install and configure the MinGW/Msys system needed for building the editor under Windows
                            Complete package of Windows dependencies for building LinRadiant under the MinGW/Msys system

Please, visit the site, test the stuff and let me know your opinion!

Comment

Working...
                            X