Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were in charge of Quake 1 reboot, how would you make it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were in charge of Quake 1 reboot, how would you make it?

As for me, I would change the story to take place in early to mid 20th century instead of the "some time in the future". I would make it more steampunk and dieselpunk. And I would make Ranger wear some kind of leather helmet from 1920s.
    Heres some scrapped Team Fortress 2 design, and this is how I imagine my dieselpunk Ranger:

Might be too radical for a redesign but they remade Doomguy for Doom 3 well enough and this design would fit a brown Quake 1 world well!

Looks a bit cheesey to me. Gotta get away from that small but ugly face.

Comment

Replacing Ranger would just irritate me, more so than a fn Alien Turtle.
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Am I the only one who finds people calling the QuakeGuy "Ranger" offensive?

Just because the Quake looking character in Quake 3 was called Ranger didn't mean that was the name of the nameless character in Q1.

Seriously!
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

same as the doom marine wasn't called doom, and the quake2 dude wasn't called bitterman... oh, wait... that one was.

'ranger' is more likely a reference to his rank/role ( United States Army Rangers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) rather than his formal name.

Frankly you only see the guy in deathmatch, and any modern rewrite/reboot of the game would have a range of player models to pick from.

Refering to the _player_ by their title or rank of ranger fits the game and ties in with q3's naming of him, but I would not choose to call any of the actual player models by that name. And if I had to actually write a storyline for it, I'd make it a true prequel to quake2 with the player as the great grandfather or something like that of the quake2 bitterman character to tie those together, so same surname, different initials. Presumably he never made it back to earth because he was ripped out of the elderworld or whereever by the q3 arena organisers.

The enemies might be steampunky with their silly english knigits, but the player+hunams were likely not intended that way.
          steampunk may be an attractive theme, but it doesn't really fit quake's atmosphere.
          Some Game Thing

Comment

Yea I too find it silly,for me The quake guy will always be William Joseph "Billy Blaze" Blazkowicz II, a.k.a. "Commander Keen" the grandson of William Joseph "B.J." Blazkowicz (the Allied war hero of Wolfenstein 3D)
            WARNING
            May be too intense for some viewers.
            Stress Relief Device
            ....BANG HEAD HERE....
            ---------------------------
            .--------------------------

Comment

And how would you guys redesign Quake 1 guy? He doesn't fit neither space marine nor modern warfare theme. His helmet and axe which he got before he went to dark dimensions through the slipgate leave a room for imagination. Also making a game about 20's would allow more Lovecraftian stuff in it

BTW speaking of Q3 characters. I always thought that Grunt is Quake 2 guy until I read that Bitterman is the one somewhere on the Internet. I never paid attention about what's written on his drop pod in Q2, lol. Bitterman is a really really bad design for the great Q2 hero. Also Q3 lacks B.J. Blazkowicz, such a shame!

Comment

If Jules Vern was writing my book, Moby Dick would have been called kimp.

Well, he wasn't called Quake and was nameless. Ranger is fine by me, because only a Ranger would have survived quake anyhow [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzbr6fPDmkE]Ranger School Promo - YouTube[/ame]
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I always thought Quake took place in the 90's, the technology looks relatively modern than early 1900s like Blood.
                  Soundtracks and Instrumentals
                  MyMusic | Youtube

Comment

If I were in charge, I would just say the people of quakeone and affiliated sites have already gone above and beyond with their works and projects.. The only thing I would say to encourage my minions *in the scenario that i was in charge as a merciful dictator*... Is as a whole the community needs to make more of an effort to promote the reignition for a more massive player base, eg. mass ad's, make viral youtube videos that spotlight quake 1 as a trendy cult-fave, get active in chats with fellow fps gamers and reintroduce quake to them as if it were the first time, or tell old dogs to dig up their buried bone and give it another try with the updated stuff... Possibly have a section of user submitted stories for the game so that it isn't just one persons story, it could be hundred's, or people could add to stories aswell. Make use of torrent sites for finished projects, since they are free for download anyway.. like the proquake, qrack engines etc.. , It would reach the lucrative underground and spark more interest... Several artist are finding file sharing the best way to achieve this, not everything on torrent sites have to be illegal.

Comment

We would have to deal with Bethesda too.

Comment

Working...
                      X