SMC-like mod for vanillaquake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMC-like mod for vanillaquake?

Recently I took a gander at the SMC mod for Darkplaces, there's so many awesome things and little nice details added to it that make Quake feel fresh and Zesty without getting too far off track

That being said, I'm an old fool from the oldskool. I love my software engines, 320x240 resolution, 24 fps and square particles. Are there any modifications out there that would be more legacy-compatible that are similar to some of SMC's tricks? Nails sticking in walls, gibbable corpses, etc?

Qrack is the sexiest alternative to DarkPlaces. If you can run JoeQuake you should be able to run Qrack.

Qrack might have other variants (software version?) IDK. Quake really requires modernish hardware. I doubt your hardware represent 1996 quality components.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Qrack is indeed a sexy beast. Lately I've been frolicking through the palette-bent software Qbism Super8 engine though and wanted to take some of the SMC charms along for the ride.

Comment

well... actually almost everything of the smc is usable with any engine that supports mods.

if you look at the qc you should be able to see the bunch of features that use darkplaces-only commands. but most of the stuff from the smc uses standard commands that any quake engine knows.

so if you'd take the smc and remove the few features which use darkplaces-only commands, you should be able to use the smc with any other engine that supports mods

like from what i know from the top of my head if im not mistaking...
        the semi-transparent weapons, the particle-flames... timers on screen for power-ups

and a bunch of other features are darkplaces-only. you'd have to ask seven which other features from his smc are darkplaces-only.
        if you remove those features from the smc you'll be able to use the smc with any engine that supports mods
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

thats one of the key things missing : people dissecting other engines besides darkplaces / and replacing content / updating / whatever.

Its a darkplaces universe when it comes to most custom content. I stick with DirectQ cuz im a multiplayer slut.
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Aye, video-accelerated quake engines seem to be what most mods target now. They do a great job at giving Quake a fresh feel, but there's just some kind of magic in it for me when it comes to seeing just how much murder one can get away with in a software-engine.

that being said i'll look into what Splitter said. Thanks fellas.

Comment

you're welcome

hope you can get it done to modify the smc to work in whatever other engine you're using.

cuz im sure it'll be quite a lot of work to take out the darkplaces-only features
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Probably most of the stuff you're interested in comes from inside3d tutorials.
                If you've ever at least seriously tried to learn programming you'll succed compiling them.
                You can use fteqcc compiler you can find it inside Seven's SMC qc folder as well.
                Of course looking inside SMC code will be helpfull as well.
                I believe it'll be easier to start from scratch instead of deleting stuff from SMC.
                You can use Beyond Compare to compare vanilla Quake qc with SMC qc.
                Where it'll be possible to just copy code from SMC you'll be able to do it with just a few mouse clicks inside this program. It is extremely usefull soft.

Good luck !
                Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

Working...
                X