Quake version history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake version history

I'm used to playing Quake version 1.06 and past that, but I have never really seen what has changed before. I haven't been able to find a well-documented changelog that covers everything from the official release of the game, perhaps some beta versions too. Also, where can I download the original release of Quake shareware?

The changelog is included in your Quake's README.TXT
    Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
      The changelog is included in your Quake's README.TXT
      That one seems to cover an update from 1.01 to 1.06. Were there any versions in between? What about changes from earlier releases?

Comment

Ok, I managed to find QuakeS 0.91 and QuakeS 1.0 on the far edges of the internet. I also found a changelog that covers everything up to 1.01. Great! I still haven't seen anything between that and 1.06, so I am going to assume that those were internal versions tested by Id Software.
        I'm still not certain about the registered version. Was it originally released as version .91 as well? Other sources seem to hint that Quake was fully released as 1.01, which I find confusing.

Comment

I smell fish..
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

The information seems trivial.
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I used to have a PCgamer CD that had the .91 shareware of Quake. The console text was more squared away, actually the font in Qrack is very similar to it. I also remember the checker wood textures in places like e1m2 having a more subdued look. Other than that it was identical.

.81 is a beta that's been floating around online for a while. The textures on all the gibs were designed to look like parts of the player. (torso had his armor, chunks of the thigh had his thigh-pads, etc) so its funny to gib a dog or scrag Maps have slight differences or some of the crates are just slabs of sandstone. Teleport effects are just a singular green/yellow sprite that looks sort of like a bfg blast in reverse. The original Shub Niggurath battle was more akin to the Doom2 boss battle. Again, nothing too different from the final version.

Qtest had totally different weapon models for everything. The shotgun looked beefier, had iron-sights and a more robust, rigged forestock. The Super Shotgun was just two thick black barrels. The nailgun resembled an uzi and was textured in a nondescript brown. The Supernailgun was a big rotating drum/hexagon with brown texture and ridges. The grenade Launcher was just a long grey/beige tube and the rocketlauncher was about the same shape as the final, but had the same light grey/beige coloring. The HUD was styled to look like diamond-plate metal with bold hard-edged numbering instead of the leather/runic feel of the final version and the player's face was more....squinchy.

Any further back from that and all we have to go on is magazine scans

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                The information seems trivial.
                Yes, but as a fanboy, I have an urge to know the history and what I missed when I was too young to to intellectually browse the internet.

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                I smell fish..
                Anything wrong?

Comment

facinating....
                  My Avatars!
                  Quake Leagues
                  Quake 1.5!!!
                  Definitive HD Quake

Comment

It is not trivial at all. Otherwise please share the wisdom, Mindfields...

This is actually one of the topics I would really love to document better. Maybe once the http://www.quaddicted.com/library/ is a bit more populated.
                    Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Working...
                    X