Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLEASE, go PLAY this: Cartographer's Nightmare

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...-download.html

It has sooo much potential, BUT if no one cares enough to even try it out well... that's just sad. Killpixel has an awesome level for Quake and WE, yes I said WE... as in YOU and ME, owe it to him to check it out and leave feedback!

C'mon folks, treat him right Go d'load it, play it, have a great Quakin' time and then... leave a lil' luvin' for ma' boy In the form of a post, that is!

For all those who check it out, Thanks,
    - damage_

Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

I wrote all the Qc mods. I was showing love when you were still shitting brown 6 months ago . I'm not saying I wont play it, but I'm 13 hours straight into my controller mod and I want to see if I can do the whole thing in one shot. I have KPCN sitting in my downloads folder. It made it that far (same with gb's map), Imma check em out when I'm done being selfish. mmKay?

@13 hours straight - I mean STRAIGHT, I haven't even eaten all day. That reminds me, [writes on hand] "eat something"

edit: he still has that damn room with insane rspeeds that bring my FPS to 1 (lower left corner)?

edit 2: my next mod is going to be to get radiant to work with a blackberry keyboard (wait for it)
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 08-26-2013, 10:08 PM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

I wouldn't say my post was a "shout out" to YOU... INSANE GYPSY... yep I upgraded your screen name... as you are way beyond mad at this point... only seemed natural! Hey, don't shoot the messenger... errr, WAIT?! This is a Quake board... we DO shoot things... maybe shooting the messenger is GOOD, maybe it's out DUTY... meh, do what you will

BTW EAT sumthin' fool, moon pie's if need be, hahahaha
      Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

i just ate a bunch of homemade chili...cause I poured it out the can at my house

@ insane Gypsy - I know you'll never believe this but the "mad" is supposed to imply "mad scientist"...not "mad at the world". Look at all my crazy projects. I'm not saying that I can't summon a severe attitude problem but, that is not the spirit of mad that I am going for.

aside: I have a map of my own in the works. It's called "Too Many Brushes" (not kidding) but you know what's funny. My entire map will probably have less brushes than the floor in the lower left image of KPCN's teaser image.

Comment

Originally posted by damage_inc View Post
          It has sooo much potential, BUT if no one cares enough to even try it out well... that's just sad. Killpixel has an awesome level for Quake and WE, yes I said WE... as in YOU and ME, owe it to him to check it out and leave feedback!
          If Killpixel really wants SP related feedback he should go over to Func and start a thread.

Comment

awwww, damage, I just saw this post. It was kind of you to try to get people to play this for me. Looks like it worked, I got plenty of feedback in the other thread!

I thought about posting at func, but I also wanted input from non-mappers as well. I feel that mappers and players have very different, but equally valid perspectives. I was able to get a little of both by posting on this forum
            www.youtube.com/user/KillPixel

Comment

Gonna check this out tonight, looks real promising KillPixel! Blending the modern tech base levels with the more demonic monsters is my favorite style. No disrespect to old-school medieval themes, but the base/demon thing gives it a sci-fi horror like Aliens or Dead Space.

Originally posted by MadGypsy
              edit: he still has that damn room with insane rspeeds that bring my FPS to 1 (lower left corner)?
              Yeah I don't think my dinosaur PC is gonna agree too well with that room lol
              'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

@dutch _ I got to play this as a "thank you" for making his mods, before he released it. I thought it was a pretty good map - really interesting to walk around in, but you get in that one room and your fps is non-existent followed by a bunch of zombies kicking your ass cause you can't even barely move.

Looking at the image though it looks like he replaced zombies with a fiend. Of course that probably makes it worse if your FPS is severely low.

Comment

@gypsy yeah it bogged down a bit but once I turned RT shadows off it wasn't too bad.

@KillPixel Man this map was a real ride. Really nice use of lighting and door brushes. Loved the doors that opened in a cascade effect. The shambler encounters were top notch, and a couple of the fiend encounters spiked my blood pressure. This map was a thriller.

But I have to say it...that demonic ghost girl behind that one door...holy freaking shit. I was not expecting that. Made the hairs on the back of my neck go rigid. Absolutely superb effect. Little features like that will re-store Quake's surreal primal fear. The old monsters don't shock much anymore, but throwing something like that in there...damn.

Good show KP, can't wait to see it finished!

EDIT: There's actually one thing I'd like to mention, and obviously this is just one man's opinion. I felt like the inclusion of the base enemies gave the map some "normalcy" that took away from the fear factor...there were parts of the map that gave the impression of a sci-fi high tech setting infested with evil, like in Dead Space and Aliens (I know those examples aren't really 'evil', but the effect is the same...the setting was once a normal, operating place that is now home to something that doesn't belong). Then all of a sudden there's grunts and enforcers with modern weapons, shouting words in English. It's kind of hard to explain. (For the same reason, I'm not a big fan of the knight, ogre, and hell knight in these types of maps [I was glad there weren't any besides a few ogres]. They aren't really vicious and surreal, like the vore, shambler, and fiend are. The problem is, if you aren't modding for new monsters, you start limiting yourself to just a few.)

This doesn't detract from the map itself, everything is great. It's just something I noticed because the sci-fi/evil blend is my all-time favorite theme for maps, so I always pay real close attention to what makes these types of maps truly terrifying (and that little ghost girl totally accomplished that haha).
                  Last edited by Dutch; 03-17-2014, 06:33 PM.

Comment

@Killpixel This map was super cool. It was modeled and textured really well. The opening was neat too. I didn't get to play it much because the glowing textures killed my framerate, but I totally intend to play it through.

Comment

@KillPixel Man this map was a real ride. Really nice use of lighting and door brushes. Loved the doors that opened in a cascade effect. The shambler encounters were top notch, and a couple of the fiend encounters spiked my blood pressure. This map was a thriller.
                      Thanks! I'm really glad you enjoyed it, that's kinda the reason for making something like this; to share an experience I enjoy that someone else might like too.

Nice to see you encountered the little girl. Obviously, at the moment it's just a test, but I like the effect. I was afraid most people wouldn't see her because she only gets 3 seconds of screen time.

Also, I feel the same way about the grunt and enforcer issue. It takes away from the strange, mysterious feel by having a character so familiar and relatable. I decided to put them in the there because of their function in terms of mechanics. Ultimately, I would like to model monster replacements for them.

Remember, this is very WIP, many of the monster layouts will be different, rooms will be expanded (as well as over triple what is currently shown will be present) and such. Consider this pre-alpha.

Anyway, really glad you enjoyed it. The finished map will take some time still, but will be quite the ride in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Corn_Crib View Post
                        @Killpixel This map was super cool. It was modeled and textured really well. The opening was neat too. I didn't get to play it much because the glowing textures killed my framerate, but I totally intend to play it through.
                        Glad you like it! Yeah, it bogs down on some machines when using real time lighting in Darkplaces.

I use DirectQ on a relatively powerful computer, so I don't see framerate dips below 1k.

Comment

No problem man, can't wait to see the finished product!

Another thing you did well was creating areas of close quarter combat that forced players into uncharted territory. For example, when dodging and running a fiend or some other quick monster, the player had to step into a new area where he had the potential of springing new monster ambushes. This gives the map a frantic pace at times, as you can't be sure which directions attacks will come from. Nice.

Keep up the awesome work buddy, I will definitely be keeping up with this!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Corn_Crib View Post
                            Thanks man, I hope you get a chance to go through it. The final version won't have any lag issues on low-end hardware (unless you run RT lights in DP).

Comment

The map isn't finished, right? I remember that some point there were no monster and nowhere to go... I played several months a go. But the map was very "twitched" I've had a couple intense jump-scares.
                              MOD it! Start Point Remake Quake Scout's Journey Quaketastic WhiteDay Quake Terminus UQE

Comment

Working...
                              X