Am I doing a legal thing?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I doing a legal thing?...

I've noticed that Abyss of Pandemonium uses many quake textures but with different names. I've renamed all the textures to match the original quake name, so it enables the high resolution textures. Can I put the updated version for download?

Originally posted by IronWarfare View Post
    I've noticed that Abyss of Pandemonium uses many quake textures but with different names. I've renamed all the textures to match the original quake name, so it enables the high resolution textures. Can I put the updated version for download?
    if you are using darkplaces , why do not just use script files instead rename all the textures in compiled bsp?
    the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Originally posted by nahuel View Post
      if you are using darkplaces , why do not just use script files instead rename all the textures in compiled bsp?
      Explain better, I'm an ignorant: I've renamed the textures inside the bsps, do you mean release a separate pack with newer bsp maps?

Comment

lol. The question was "is what am I doing legal?" not "is there an alternative method?" or what have you.
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Explain better, I'm an ignorant: I've renamed the textures inside the bsps, do you mean release a separate pack with newer bsp maps?
          you do not need to rename the texturies inside the bsp , or change the bsp if you are using darkplaces.
          For example: If in the AOP bsp the original quake texture "city1_2" is called "cityaop1_2".
          SO you just need.
          create a folder called "scripts" in the aop folder (or another mod you want)

create a file (with notepad) called "textures.shader"

inside "textures.shader" you need to write this for

cityaop1_2 // the corrupted name in the aop´s bsp
          {
          {
          map $lightmap
          rgbGen identity
          }
          {
          map textures/city1_2 // the original quake 1 name with the current location of the HD replacement

rgbgen lightingDiffuse
          }

}

following this steps you can replace all the textures with new textures

syluxman2803

Comment

Hello IronWarfare,

First of all, I find it exemplary and very good that you ask the community beforehand.
            There are many others, who do not care about these things.

The answer to your specific question though, should be given by the author of the files, which you are referring to.
            If the author has a readme with mentioning licenses inside his download, this should be enough for you.
            If you do not find a readme or license in the download, then look at his website (if available).
            You should then be able to decide how to proceed.
            If it is still unclear, try to write an email to the author directly.

You can of course skip the complete topic, if your specifically focus on Darkplaces / FTE audience. Then you only need to release one little script file (like Nahuel suggested), that handles it.

But be careful, when using Nahuel´s example.
            It only works if the textures have the same dimensions and stretch factors.
            You have to take these into account if you want to replace textures, especially when using QRP´s high res textures.
            This is what can happen:

To avoid it you have to add 1 more line into your scripts to adjust it.
            Add it right below the "map ..." line
            Code:
            tcMod scale 0.25 0.0825	// scale the new texture to match the old situation if necessary

Best of luck,
            Seven

PS: We are still hoping for your announced SoE compilation.
            It suprises me a little bit that you jumped from SoE to AoP …

Comment

The reason is because this "remake" of AoP is done since 1 year and it's lying on my PC since that time, the same for Insomnia with HD textures (Q2 and Q3 textures). When I have permission from both authors I'll release them, as for SoE, I will continue of course, it's not dead. I'm also waiting for new PC, it should arrive in a week if I'm lucky.

Comment

Sent a mail to the author, if I receive an OK I'll put immediately on upload.

Comment

ohh iron wafare, AOP is my prefered mod (or mission pack) ever, I ripped the qc to get some darkplaces features and do bug fixes (in weapons and effects).

syluxman2803

Comment

Originally posted by nahuel View Post
                    ohh iron wafare, AOP is my prefered mod (or mission pack) ever, I ripped the qc to get some darkplaces features and do bug fixes (in weapons and effects).
                    Is my favourite too. It took me years to find it when it went out, til finally the uncle of a my friend bought 2 copies in England for us I would like to have a separate model/skin for the thunderbolt enforcer, but there is no way to modify it, so at the moment both the standard and the thunderbolt enforcer use same model/skin.

Comment

I would like to have a separate model/skin for the thunderbolt enforcer, but there is no way to modify it, so at the moment both the standard and the thunderbolt enforcer use same model/skin.

Hehe,
                      Nahuel ripped the QC, so you can add a different skin for them (depending on their flag).

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                        Hehe,
                        Nahuel ripped the QC, so you can add a different skin for them (depending on their flag).
                        Aaargh finally!! Can't wait to have in game 2 separate enforcers.

Comment

hello i have my little qc modification for darkplaces (solving some glitches like the rain or thunderbolt and adding some nice effects for darkplaces, and lenforcer will use skin number 1)
                          but this is a ripped qc. I will send you the link!!
                          if any other wants this pk3 just sendme a mp , please report bugs

syluxman2803

Comment

You've got 2 PMS nahuel. I've just checked all my maps, all is ok except for map Aop2m2, TexMex doesn't allow me to save the map as .bsp file. I've also included some nice skies in the pack, also the soundtrack in .ogg format is included.

Comment

Hello,

I made a small mod for "AOP - The Final Mission v2.0" that adds a separate skin for the lightning-gun-enforcer.
                              It is not a QC mod. It adds skin "1" to function "monster_lenforcer" via .ent files.

Unfortunately the AOP source has not been released (as Nahuel said), and the reversed enginered progs.dat cannot be officialy uploaded I guess.

DOWNLOAD

Have fun with this small addon.
                              Seven

Comment

Working...
                              X