While playing I use these translational speed settings

Code:
    sv_maxspeed 4096
    sv_maxvelocity 4096
    cl_forwardspeed 4096
    cl_backspeed 4096
    cl_sidespeed 4096
    cl_upspeed 4096"
    Of course this would be ridiculous if using 1bit keys/buttons to move. However, using a variable controller with 128 steps in each direction this is no problem at all to control. That's 32 units of speed change each step. So I can crawl around corners, walk slow, walk fast, jog, run, sprint, or go hypersonic all depending on how much I input. The controller has a <2mm throw so input changes are quick.

I also set the following to make quick changes to my velocity:
    Code:
    sv_friction 8
    sv_accelerate 16
    sv_stopspeed 10
    Maybe later I post a video of this in action, most likely in 6DOF!

Comment

I created a video called 6DOF Quake1 High Speed using 3DMouse on this playlist:
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...x60gxf9_B3r878

While YouTube does 60fps now, ShadowPlay made a choppy recording. The game played smooth as I recorded, but the playback was a bit choppy. I used a blank hard drive dedicated to only recording so I don't know what the problem is. Anyone have any luck getting 60fps smooth videos with Quake1 at 1080p with good compression? The video I uploaded was about 650megabytes for ~3.5 minutes. I wonder if the hard-drive or encoder is just not fast enough.

Comment

to me it feels weird if the side speeds are not the same as the forward/back speeds.
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by Hypersonic View Post
          6DOF Quake1 [...] on this playlist:
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...x60gxf9_B3r878
          Quakeguy on Red Bull.

On a serious note, it looks very impressive, but it doesn't look as fun as the regular game itself.
          Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
          ==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
          Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube

Comment

@Hypersonic

Pretty cool stuff. However, I see that your download for this no longer work? Will you be updating them?

Comment

@mankrip
              I enjoy both ways of playing: jump/run and 6DOF flying. The maps of course are not designed for flying though. It would be cool to have some Quake1 maps designed for flying.

@PrimalLove
              I actually haven't changed any code at all since I modified Quake for 6DOF back in February 2012.
              http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...of-quake1.html
              The site did change, but the old site links to the new site (same content as 2 years ago.) There's already a sixdof cvar to turn 6DOF on/off. I want to add another cvar antigrav to turn that on/off as well.

Currently you can control everything except roll with keys or direct input controllers. Because my driver doesn't properly map to the older direct input structure I made 2dmouse yaw as roll control and made my controller output 2dmouse yaw. I wish to update Quake clients to the newer direct input structure to fix this problem without this hack. In it's current state it might be difficult to control w/o a 3DMouse due to this hack (unless I create a 2Dmouse axis mapping system.) If you have a 3DMouse set all axis to 0.25 sensitivity as joystick to get maximum precision, and Ry 1.0 sensitivity as 2DMouse.

To try it out download the Fitzquake_6dof.zip file at the bottom of the page (I modified the Fitzquake source port.) If you want modified weapons as well get the better weaps.zip qc mod, it has the rapid fire boomstick and railgun. Use the direct.cfg to select/fire instantly (direct.cfg can be used in any Quake1 game BTW.)

Comment

@Hypersonic

That is indeed the site I tried to download from. They do not download. I always get an error 404.

Comment

Ya that can happen if you click on the filename on Google Sites. Try clicking on the downarrow that is on the far right of the filename to download.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

You have a 3DMouse by chance?

With cvar sixdof set to 1
                      2Dmouse sideways is hard-coded to roll control (a hack due to my controller's driver)
                      2Dmouse forw/back isn't used at all

With cvar sixdof set to 0
                      2Dmouse works normally (yaw is always around world z)

So this wouldn't work well with a 2DMouse without 2DMouse axis mappings. I could create 2DMouse axis mappings just like there are joystick axis mappings if anyone is interested.

UPDATE: there already is roll control via keys: +rollleft and +rollright
                      Last edited by Hypersonic; 11-12-2014, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X