What SP walk speeds do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What SP walk speeds do you use?

What single-player walk speeds do you like to use?

I like to slow things down to help acquire a better sense of scale. A large overhead archway feels more impressive, and imposing, if you walk under it at a slower speed. As opposed to always being on the run and looking for the next kill as the scenery passes you by.

I like to stop to smell the roses, to enjoy the scenery, is what it comes down to I guess. Why do you do what you do?

I use...
    Code:
    cl_backspeed 120
    cl_forwardspeed 120
    cl_sidespeed 100
    cl_upspeed 100

I can't relate to SP custom walk speeds, but to further discuss speeds, I use as fast as the server allows me, quick to rush in and either

a)kick everyones ass
    b)everyones kicks my ass
    c)somewhere in between

I wouldn't have it any other way either
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

if u put the rates high it makes u move faster on online servers

Comment

Code:
        alias +walk "cl_backspeed 150; cl_forwardspeed 150; cl_sidespeed 100; cl_upspeed 100;"
        alias -walk "cl_backspeed 400; cl_forwardspeed 400; cl_sidespeed 350; cl_upspeed 400;"
        That's what I use

Comment

cl_forwardspeed 100
          cl_backspeed 100
          cl_upspeed 100
          cl_sidespeed 100
          cl_movespeedkey 2.2

this is what Scout's Journey uses.

Plus a FOV of 65.

Try a really narrow FOV sometime, like 45. You'll be surprised how much more massive the environment appears.

For Quake SP, I use the defaults and a FOV of 90 though.
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
            cl_forwardspeed 100
            cl_backspeed 100
            cl_upspeed 100
            cl_sidespeed 100
            cl_movespeedkey 2.2

this is what Scout's Journey uses.

Plus a FOV of 65.

Try a really narrow FOV sometime, like 45. You'll be surprised how much more massive the environment appears.

For Quake SP, I use the defaults and a FOV of 90 though.
            After more years of fov 125 than you could shake a stick at, when I fresh install Quake and fire it up, fov 90 just seems awkward. But that's pretty much exclusive to Quake, if I try using any FOV besides 90 in any other game, it's just plain incorrect looking.
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Ah. I use a 5:4 screen so FOV 65 is very bearable for me. It would have to be increased for widescreen obviously.
              Scout's Journey
              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                snip...For Quake SP, I use the defaults and a FOV At 90
                I can still notice the screen stretching at the edges so I drop the FOV down to 80.

That's sorta my FOV rule for all FPS games in general... just below the thresh-hold of screen-edge stretch. I don't want my view distorted.

Comment

That's true, I guess I'm just tired of tweaking Quake though. The Carmack decreed that we would play at FOV 90, so well, that's what I do. In Quake anyway.

In other games, I usually accept the default FOV as well. And I tend to like narrower FOV with slower, exploration or adventure style games. Large FOV is good for twitch shooters.
                  Scout's Journey
                  Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

<- Twitch shooter

I use around 110 in most games. Like to see around me, but the drawbacks are that knights right in front of you may seem further away and not so much of a threat... squish.

Didn't know about run speeds until now, but I find the default is ok. What I reallllly hate is that you carry on sliding when you stop running. The number times I've slid off walkways in lava is not funny anymore.

-r0t.uk- cOOp - Mapvote - r0t.uk:26001
                    -r0t.uk- DM - Mapvote - r0t.uk:26000

Comment

@slackhead You can use sv_friction. Usually it is 4 but if you just bump it up to 5 or 6 it will mostly stop that behavior and won't really adversely effect gameplay.

Comment

Cool, thanks

-r0t.uk- cOOp - Mapvote - r0t.uk:26001
                        -r0t.uk- DM - Mapvote - r0t.uk:26000

Comment

I use the default running speed from the Options menu.

As for admiring the scenery, good maps does that by making the player look out for secrets, keys or ways to open paths to finish the stage.
                          Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
                          ==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                          Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube

Comment

I've never had a need to adjust single player movement speed.

Comment

I discovered fov in 1996 only days after i purchased the full version and changed it immediately to 110 and have been there ever since. I bounce to 112 sometimes depending on what MOD I am playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X