No announcement yet.

New Quake 1 Single player episode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, I stopped playing when I fell 5 feet from a bridge onto visible plain ground without anything to hurt me in it - and gibbed. That was just too big of a no-no for me. I skipped around in the next 2 maps and there are some neat little things, but I must admit I didnt care for the whole. No offense, but Im gonna side with neg|ke on func regarding the fact that you shoulda released them one at a time with heavy playtesting for each between each maps creation.
    Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

here ya go.
      skill 1, starting with shotgun and axe

Comment

i always play maps on hard just dont like maps with few amo... if got many shells is enought

Comment

i prefer nightmare actually.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketGuy
            i prefer nightmare actually.
            You prefer nightmare so the ogres are easier to take out

Comment

I just played the first couple of these maps. I loved them.

Here is what I liked:

1. A fresh take on the construction of maps. I liked the winding corridors and the non-standard organization of everything.

Too many maps anymore are perfectly symetrical or incredibly predictable. I like the design. I also liked how the maps suddenly ended, taking you to the next map. You see that sometimes, but that is under-used.

2. Monster placement was outstanding. I personally liked the lack of ammo, I prefer things to be somewhat difficult.

But ...

I got 27 FPS on average when I normally get 4 or 5 times that. Someone on Func_Msgboard wondered if the maps were vised? It didn't feel like it to me. (For some reading this: This has nothing to do with water, it is a utility that is run on maps.)

Originally posted by Worldcraft tutorial on VIS tool
              Basically VIS determines what areas of the map are visible from other areas. This speeds up game play since Quake has less to draw.

Get tools here: http://user.tninet.se/~xir870k/ <--- aguirRe's site
              ORL, you might consider vising the maps and re-releasing them, maybe after touching up a few small things.

These were some very excellent maps -- in my book -- but the FPS thing was something that distracted from my enjoyment of the map.

The most refreshing thing about these maps were that many of the newer maps released by the "pros" have a bit of a cookie cutter feel to me in the sense I almost always know what to expect. These maps remind me of some of the better early Quake maps where everyone didn't make maps exactly the same.

I was frequently totally unprepared for what happened next and I like that and exploring the maps, but if the maps weren't vised you should really, really do that.

(The other things like texture alignment, etc. ... I don't know if that is worth worrying about. First maps are going to be first maps.)
              Last edited by Baker; 07-16-2006, 01:28 AM.
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

In the 2nd pak version, all maps except orlmap7alt (which isn't really part of the pak) are fullvised AFAIK. In the 1st version, orlmap6 wasn't vised by mistake.

You can always see if a map is vised or not by checking r_speeds and then type r_novis 1 (or even 2 in my engines). If the r_speed values don't change, the map is probably not vised. If they go up, it's vised.

You can also run my BspInfo utility on the bsps to see the various lump sizes, if the vis data lump is zero, the map is not vised. It's a bit more difficult to see if a map is fast- or fullvised (typically the vis data size is bigger when fastvised).

Comment

i am sure all the maps are vised (except orlmap7alt), guess your computer is just sh*t.

Comment

Well I am very glad you liked my maps Baker, that makes me feel good

About the maps being vissed. I can gurantee you, I am absolutely, positively, 100%, and I'm not lying here, these maps are full vissed. Using aguiRe's vis tool of course. Like aguiRe said, it is possible you may have r_novis set to 1. If thats the case, yeah. Your gonna get low fps. Its just like it says, r_novis. r_ NO VIS. Of course the other possibility is some areas being very detailed, pulling your fps down. I find that good, in a sense. And you can always use aguiRe's BSP utility. Its great.

And please, for the love of god please! I keep hearing about texture alignment problems, and I have no idea where, cause nobody bothered to tell me. I thought I did all the texture alignments really good. So please! Send me screenshots, demo, video I dont care about these misalignments. Its important I know where they are, so I can make better maps in the future.

Comment

I haven't seen any texture alignment problems, nor have I gotten low framerates. Just the usual 120-160, even on this crappy comp. I don't use r_novis 1 either, that was what was lagging me before....

Comment

misaligned textures and alike.
                        www.quaddicted.com/stuff/orl/orl_text_01.jpg
                        increase the numbers up to 21.
                        Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Baker: What computer and engine were you using? Maybe you've some specific settings that cause problems in these maps. You could try running without any configs to see if that helps.

Comment

Dell 2.0 Ghz + GeForce2 + GL JoeQuake 0.15 with -no24bit -bpp 16 -width 640 -height 480 -mem 32

It only really occurred on a single map in the wide open area, when I get time again I do some more checking.

I'll play with the settings, who knows maybe it was just me somehow -- still, I don't get this on other maps.
                            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Something must be wrong, I get <20ms rendering (>50fps) in the open graveyard area of orlmap6. In most indoor areas rendering is <10ms. Machine is P4 1.7GHz with GeForce3 in 1280x960x32 using my Neh engine. I briefly tried JoeQ 0.14 as well and it showed >40fps in the same open area.

Comment

I played around with settings and got it to work well *cough*r_novis 0*/cough*

I didn't have much luck with the elevator ride in orlmap7, I had to godmode it to keep from dying.

Comment

Working...
                                X