New Quake 1 Single player episode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Quake 1 Single player episode

After 1.5 years of hard work, I bring to you the Orlmap series. This is a 6 map (7 if you find the secret map!) episode, entirely vanilla, of Quake single player. These maps have been modified to support Cooperative, deathmatch, and FvF. Please read the orlmap.txt inside the zip file for more info. After you have played them, write back and tell me how you felt about them, and if I should continue to make more.

http://files.filefront.com/orlmapszi.../fileinfo.html

Enjoy!

woot! fresh meat!

Will try right now
    Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

!! cool.. i'll download it ASAP!

Comment

I have found a bug in the first level... When you go down or up the lifts, they have a tendency to bounce you in the air and inflict heavy damage upon you for some reason... This happens with the lifts in the caverns near the beginning of the level.

Otherwise, the level looks spectacular, so far I am loving it!

Comment

Wow, ORL. Based on screenshots I've seen those look like some good maps.

Btw, and you may know this already, Spirit submitted your maps as news at Func_Msgboard (Spirit's usual good deeds) and I see them on PlanetQuake's page too. Nice job.

Func_Msgboard: http://www.celephais.net/board

Based on what I've read, I imagine those maps will be running on the FvF server, which will be very cool.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Yes, i am aware the the Func_Msgboard has posted news about it, I submitted it myself.

About the bug on the first level,I dont know what causes it, or why it happens. But what i think happens is that you get stuck in the elevator when its moving, and it somehow causes you much damage. This has not happened to me yet, but if it does happen, quickly jump, and it will stop.

But I'm liking all the positive feedback so far

Comment

3rd: cemetery part was rather annoying because i ran back to the door after each button just to see it still closed. A counter would have been nice
              the later maps: very unbalanced health, nails (non explosives)
              often stuck in small brushes, hard to fight properly :\
              textures were obviously a problem sometimes.

overall: Thanks for ~1 hour of fun! The gameplay was rather nice (except for the ammo and health problems).

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit
                3rd: cemetery part was rather annoying because i ran back to the door after each button just to see it still closed. A counter would have been nice
                the later maps: very unbalanced health, nails (non explosives)
                often stuck in small brushes, hard to fight properly :\
                textures were obviously a problem sometimes.

overall: Thanks for ~1 hour of fun! The gameplay was rather nice (except for the ammo and health problems).
                Well of course there is limited ammo and health on the last few levels. You didnt think I was gonna go easy on you, did ya? I probly should have mentioned earlier that these maps were designed for the hardcore Quake player. You have to use your wits on these maps in order to preserve your ammunition, and keep yourself alive.

And remember, these maps do have difficulty settings on them. You would know if you read the txt file included (Which I'm sure many of you didn't.)

And tell me, what problems did some textures have when playing? Its important I know this stuff so I can make better maps in the future.

Comment

You were helpful in your readme:
                  If you use winquake or any other software engine, you will get many
                  grey voids throughout the levels cause of the massive detail. To avoid
                  this, type the following commands in your autoexec config:
                  r_maxedges 50000
                  r_maxsurfs 50000
                  Problem solved.
                  e|------------------------0---------------
                  B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                  G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                  D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                  A|---------------0------------------------
                  E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by ORL
                    Well of course there is limited ammo and health on the last few levels. You didnt think I was gonna go easy on you, did ya? I probly should have mentioned earlier that these maps were designed for the hardcore Quake player. You have to use your wits on these maps in order to preserve your ammunition, and keep yourself alive.

And remember, these maps do have difficulty settings on them. You would know if you read the txt file included (Which I'm sure many of you didn't.)

And tell me, what problems did some textures have when playing? Its important I know this stuff so I can make better maps in the future.
                    I consider myself "hardcore Quake player" even though I would never use that term. I read the textfile of course. And I take difficulty settings for granted. I played on Normal (which is ok to be harder than 1996 of course). orlmap8 is much too hard.

Don't talk in such arrogant tone to me if you want any more constructive feedback.

Comment

ok finaly got some time to play it! nice map pack, very nice oldschool maps! some maps got real serius texture alight problems but i think were more in first maps means wile things got better! canīt wait for your next map go for it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit
                        I consider myself "hardcore Quake player" even though I would never use that term. I read the textfile of course. And I take difficulty settings for granted. I played on Normal (which is ok to be harder than 1996 of course). orlmap8 is much too hard.

Don't talk in such arrogant tone to me if you want any more constructive feedback.
                        No man, I think you read that the wrong way. I'm not being arrogant at all, especially not to you. I'm simply saying that the maps didn have difficulty settings in case someone didnt realize it.

Trust me I am NOT being arrogant to you. If I was, I apologize.

Comment

Normal skill was actually not hard to me at all... The ending was the hardest part of course, and I sympathize with you ORL, there shouldn't be that much ammo and health. (except for a few scattered here and there just to keep you alive, of course.) It is the unforgiving world of the Sinned after all. Conservation of ammo and strategic gameplay is the way to go!

The only way this wouldn't be good for rquake/fvf are the somewhat cramped catacomb corridors (although they work great for single player and add well to the dank, underground feeling). It would be hard for multiple players to combat on one monster (you would end up shooting the guy in front of you). Of course this is just minor, but otherwise the whole map would work great for rquake... (there are also the parts where in the level "showdown" theres that small lift you have to fit into, and the part where theres a fast moving-small platform going through a dark hallway). I believe there are other ways to go besides these if I remember correctly.

Overall they were very enjoyable, loved the spiky caverns and great castleish buildings (especially the first level). Great job, especially if you made all of those spikes, architectural features, etc. by yourself. Amazing work!!! should definetly be put up on FVF and Rquake ASAP!

Comment

Originally posted by Monster
                            Normal skill was actually not hard to me at all... The ending was the hardest part of course, and I sympathize with you ORL, there shouldn't be that much ammo and health. (except for a few scattered here and there just to keep you alive, of course.) It is the unforgiving world of the Sinned after all. Conservation of ammo and strategic gameplay is the way to go!

The only way this wouldn't be good for rquake/fvf are the somewhat cramped catacomb corridors (although they work great for single player and add well to the dank, underground feeling). It would be hard for multiple players to combat on one monster (you would end up shooting the guy in front of you). Of course this is just minor, but otherwise the whole map would work great for rquake... (there are also the parts where in the level "showdown" theres that small lift you have to fit into, and the part where theres a fast moving-small platform going through a dark hallway). I believe there are other ways to go besides these if I remember correctly.

Overall they were very enjoyable, loved the spiky caverns and great castleish buildings (especially the first level). Great job, especially if you made all of those spikes, architectural features, etc. by yourself. Amazing work!!! should definetly be put up on FVF and Rquake ASAP!
                            Thats the best review I've gotten so far Thank you.

As for the cramped corridors, I'm sure rocketguy can tweak the map a little so that there are multiple paths to take instead of one. (FvF does this automatically)
                            As for orlmap9, "showdown" there is certainly no way a whole party of people is gonna fit on that tiny little lift. 1 person has to at least ride on it. When they do, a teleporter opens up in the start area, allowing easy access to the underwater zone. I tried to make these maps as co-op friendly as i could, and I think the results turned out well. Once you play them on rquake and FvF, I think you'll see what I mean.

Comment

I would really like to see someone playing the orlmap8 on Normal skill. Demo anyone? Either I am a sissy or it is too hard

ORL: ok

Comment

Working...
                              X