No announcement yet.

Gotshun's The "Lost" Levels!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: When using this map pack with the SMC, since it uses hipnotic via the -hipnotic command line param but is not installed in the \hipnotic folder, which version of the SMC is being used then? SMC-hipnotic or base SMC?
    ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
    ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
      Thanks Nahuel but I don't know anything about editing .qc files. I did all this only with .ent file and effectinfo.txt. I looked inside the SMC but didn't find any .qc file. I suppose I'd have to decompile the progs.dat for this but even if I knew how, I don't want to modify the SMC without Seven's consent. I left him a message on his SMC thread and I'm waiting for his reply.
      SMC is open source, the freedom to modify it is the spirit of open source projects

About that sound line in your code, what is this "1"? The volume of the sound?
      yeah, is the volume
      Also, I don't know how to precache a sound. I guess sounds from the SMC are precached automatically but the boiling sound is one that I added myself from a free source, so I suppose this one needs to be precached.
      you can precache sound in main function in world.qc. But if you do not want to precache unnecesary sounds (a map with no lava balls) you can precache it from the function of the entity.

Code:
      void() misc_fireball =
      {

precache_model ("progs/lavaball.mdl");
      [COLOR="DarkGreen"]precache_sound ("misc/yourcrazysound.wav");
      [/COLOR]	self.classname = "fireball";
      	self.nextthink = time + (random() * 5);
      	self.think = fire_fly;
      	if (!self.speed)
      		self.speed == 1000;
      };
      the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

I played the first map for a few minutes.
        What I did not like was the exaggerated often usage of monsters teleporting directly behind you. It almost felt like the author just discovered this function and wanted to use it at every door or corner now.
        It is fine as long as you do not overdo it.

But I like the map geometry and original Quake style and will surely play the next maps. Hoping that monster teleporting in will be used less often there.

@bfg666
        Good job on the start map. I like the rain and lava haze. You should also add the lava eruptions from smc.
        If you plan to add weather to other Gotshun's maps too, I`d reduce the rain quantity. The performance impact is high in larger maps and you should care about it.

About your question: The hipnotic smc version is used when using -hipnotic as last command for gamedirectories that contain a progs.dat. Hipnotic is also what Gotshun's maps need so all is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
          What I did not like was the exaggerated often usage of monsters teleporting directly behind you.
          In the first map?! E1UA? I played it several times already and never had any monster spawning right behind my back on skill 2. There is a bit of backspawning, yes, but not right behind you - except maybe these two enforcers at the SSG, but when they appeared I already had turned around, so I was facing them. Maybe you're talking about the first map in episode 2? I haven't played this one yet.

Good job on the start map. I like the rain and lava haze. You should also add the lava eruptions from smc.
          Thank you! Yes, lava needs more work, as soon as I figure out how to make qc modifications. But first, I need to finish my Map Jam 8 theme music ASAP for the repacked version.

If you plan to add weather to other Gotshun's maps too, I`d reduce the rain quantity. The performance impact is high in larger maps and you should care about it.
          Weather effects will depend on the skybox used. I've started working on E1UA and there's no rain in this one: the skybox I chose is a starry night, so no clouds = no rain.

The hipnotic smc version is used
          That's what I suspected when I saw that the enforcers had no force field and shot much less bright lasers. I asked to know which version of qc I should edit.
          Last edited by Mugwump; 11-28-2016, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Bfg I liked your enhancement, I can't wait to see the rest of the maps get the same treatment, Gotshun levels are awesome (I gave 5 stars on Quaddicted)
            Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Thanks BV. These days I'm focusing on finishing my theme music for the map jam 8 repack ASAP so I can send it to Spirit at Quaddicted, but yeah, there'll be more to come.

Comment

Working...
              X