No announcement yet.

An Episode 3 themed map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unholy Ossuary is fantastic! Keep that name for sure.

Good call on swapping the ogre and death night. I'll play through the last update when I get off work.
    'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
      @names

When I want interesting names I use google translate. I made a Cthulhu head for somebody here (maybe dutch, I forget). It came out OK but it looked more like a race of squid people. I went to google translate, typed "squid man" and clicked through some of the more abstract languages. By combining results from 2 different languages I wound up with

Kalmar Eniyan (literally "squid man" from 2 languages)

It's just an idea that might help you create a name. Even if you didn't find THE name that way, you may find something interesting that you could tweak. I could have just as easily taken Kalmar Eniyan and tweaked it to Kalmare Enis... or something.
      Good idea about using translations for interesting sounding words. I'll keep that in mind when I want something a bit more exotic sounding for any future levels. I'd definitely like to incorporate something a bit more Lovecraftian sounding later, instead of just using every synonym for a tomb that I can think of lol.

Comment

Hello MissBubbles,

Your screenshots look really good and catch the heart of Quake.
        In case you didnt do so yet, you should also post your project at Func_Msgboard.
        That is where all the Quake mappers are coming from and hang out. You will get lots of feedback from there.

Keep up the great work !

Best wishes,
        Seven

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
          Hello MissBubbles,

Your screenshots look really good and catch the heart of Quake.
          In case you didnt do so yet, you should also post your project at Func_Msgboard.
          That is where all the Quake mappers are coming from and hang out. You will get lots of feedback from there.

Keep up the great work !

Best wishes,
          Seven
          Thanks Seven! That means a lot! I love the original maps and I studied them closely when I was building mine, so to hear someone say that I've caught the heart of Quake makes me feel like I've accomplished what I set out to do when I started this level.

I've heard of Func_Msgboard before but I've never posted there. I'll be sure to take a look at it again sometime though!

Comment

Here ya go! Nice job on the map, looking forward to the next one!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbuPnvgSknw[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by ArrrCee View Post
              Here ya go! Nice job on the map, looking forward to the next one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbuPnvgSknw
              Awesome ArrrCee! Thanks for the playthrough - the commentary is much appreciated!

This gives me some valuable insight into how other people approach the map. You seemed to tackle it pretty well, but it's still interesting to see how people handle certain fights differently.

I feel that I should mention I have been making maps for a long time, so while this is indeed my first Quake release, I do have a bit of experience under my belt from other games I've messed around with in the past. I really haven't released much of anything over the years, but I do have a Doom map posted over at the idgames archive if you've ever interested in giving that a go. Just search for bpools and it should pop up.

I really hope I can get some more stuff out in the near future. I have been playing around with various rooms and ideas and piecing them into maps, sort of starting up the beginnings of a full episode. I would like to continue releasing each map here as I finish them since the feedback has been very valuable for fine-tuning things.

Comment

Nice video, ArrrCee! About the 25 healthboxes, if you look close you'll also notice that the red parts of the texture are a bit brighter than the 15 healthboxes. It took me a long time to notice the blink as well lol
                'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

There's 2 different health box values? lol
                  http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MissBubbles View Post
                    I feel that I should mention I have been making maps for a long time, so while this is indeed my first Quake release, I do have a bit of experience under my belt from other games I've messed around with in the past. I really haven't released much of anything over the years, but I do have a Doom map posted over at the idgames archive if you've ever interested in giving that a go. Just search for bpools and it should pop up.
                    Oh cool! I do have The Doom Grave show that I've done on the channel (it's not as popular, so I haven't done a doom map in some time), so maybe I will start it back up with yours.

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                    Nice video, ArrrCee! About the 25 healthboxes, if you look close you'll also notice that the red parts of the texture are a bit brighter than the 15 healthboxes. It took me a long time to notice the blink as well lol
                    Thanks buddy! Okay, so the 15 boxes are dimmer too. Got it!

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                    There's 2 different health box values? lol
                    Ha!

Comment

To be honest, I think I did know there was 25 & 15 but it is such a completely useless thing I never bithered to really pay it any mind. I've never died and thought "Damn, if I only had 10 more health"
                      Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-18-2017, 02:33 PM.
                      http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

It took me a while to notice the differences in health box values as well. In fact, I don't think I knew until I picked up Worldcraft for the first time a few years ago and was like " what the hell is a rotten healthkit? "

I don't think id did a very good job differentiating them. The differences are too subtle so I can't blame anyone for not noticing.

Comment

One of them blinks the other one doesnt. It is hard not to see it.

It must be the way people actually play Quake. When running through levels like a speedrun I can imagine that it is hard to see, but when enjoying a map and also take a look at the architecture from time to time people should notice it.

Also the small digits beside the face texture in the HUD should tell you, but most people seem to play without the HUD.

Anyhow, after killing 2 shamblers you are happy whatever health value you get. It simply doesnt matter !

MissBubbles,

I am happy to see that you get so much praise at Func_Msgboard !

You did a wonderful first map release and we all are very excited for your next maps !

Happy mapping,
                          Seven

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                            MissBubbles,

I am happy to see that you get so much praise at Func_Msgboard !

You did a wonderful first map release and we all are very excited for your next maps !

Happy mapping,
                            Seven
                            Oh wow thanks for bringing my attention to this Seven - it seems that everyone really likes the map so this was a pleasant surprise to wake up to and see! I'll be keeping an eye on the thread over there and taking their feedback into account as well.

Comment

Nice work! I'm really glad to see that everyone is having fun with the map. It's a good one! =)

Comment

Originally posted by ArrrCee View Post
                                Nice work! I'm really glad to see that everyone is having fun with the map. It's a good one! =)
                                Thanks ArrrCee! By the way, I made a small modification to the map based on your commentary in the video. I've modified the megahealth secret at the start so that those bars do actually open now. I thought it would be cool to let players jump back down into the room and grab their reward that way, instead of just having to backtrack or loop around for it later.

I don't know when I'll put out another update, but it's in there!

Comment

Working...
                                X