An Episode 3 themed map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MissBubbles View Post
    Thanks ArrrCee! By the way, I made a small modification to the map based on your commentary in the video. I've modified the megahealth secret at the start so that those bars do actually open now. I thought it would be cool to let players jump back down into the room and grab their reward that way, instead of just having to backtrack or loop around for it later.

I don't know when I'll put out another update, but it's in there!
    Awesome! I think that's a good idea as my brain just immediately thought those would open the way to it.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to link the button to the secret trigger. Give the secret trigger a targetname, and make the button target the trigger. This way, you can award the secret by shooting the button instead of walking over the area the megahealth is (i noticed the trigger was tucked away inside the pillar). Just an idea. It seems a little more polished that way in my opinion.
      'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
        If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to link the button to the secret trigger. Give the secret trigger a targetname, and make the button target the trigger. This way, you can award the secret by shooting the button instead of walking over the area the megahealth is (i noticed the trigger was tucked away inside the pillar). Just an idea. It seems a little more polished that way in my opinion.
        Ah yeah you're right Dutch. I think I fiddled with this once and couldn't get it working, but it should be doable. However, and this may sound silly, I intentionally created a trigger secret within the pillar rising above the platform as well so that should anyone decide to attempt a crazy grenade jump up to it, that they get credited for finding it that way too. That's probably highly unlikely but I thought " hey, what the hell " lol.

Comment

@gypsy
          OFF-topic,but about kalmar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_fA0hU5-a4

Eniyan seems to be a name for boys in India.I think maybe the area where I live(Chennai in Tamil Nadu)

Around this time the map will be in my maps folder.
          Dude,lets party!
          Bring some food and drink.I got Arcane Dimensions 2.666!?!

Comment

A new version of Unholy Ossuary is out, you can download it here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...VdDcTcwYl8wY2M

I have also updated the original post with the new version, but I will leave the old one up for now in case there are any issues with the new version.

I have continued to tweak monster and item placements based on the feedback I've received over at Func_Msgboard. The main issues I have addressed are the abundance of health on Hard difficulty, as well as a slowly paced start. Some monsters have been rearranged, and new ones have been introduced. I've also changed a few textures here and there, as well as some architecture, but it's mostly unnoticeable.

Also, here is a sneak peak on an upcoming level...

A rite of passage for the ancient warriors of the Netherworld, the Trials of Yzirr will put your skills to the test...

Just a little taste for now. The map is still in a pretty rough state, and a small portion of it needs to be built as well. If I keep at it it may be released soon though.

Comment

Looking forward to the next one! Nice work! =)

Comment

You should think about getting the final version of Unholy Ossuary uploaded to Quaddicted... that's where (eventually) most people will be able to discover and play it.

If you post a link to the zipfile over on your thread on func_msgboard, and ask about getting it to Quaddicted, that should help the process along.

Comment

Boop Boop new map. Sorry about the inactivity for a bit!

Dive into the Well of Lost Souls and see the twisted past of these tormented beings come back to life...

Download here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...DVtcExMQUdmcTQ

Check out the readme for more information/how to launch.

I set aside work on my Runic maps for a while to scratch an itch I had with this Episode 4 themed map. Once again, I have gone for a classic " Quake the way id did " style, with strong influences from Sandy Petersen's visual and gameplay designs. According to the feedback I've gotten so far, this one is " effin' hard " lol. It may be a bit easier now that I've tweaked a few things, but I'll let you all be the judge. Feedback is welcome as always!

I've been spending a lot of time staring at runic textures and it's starting to get on my nerves a bit, so this was a nice change of pace to work on. I've actually been thinking about doing something along the lines of a condensed Quake map pack, possibly featuring bite sized episodes with about 2-3 maps based on their respective themes. I don't want to get ahead of myself or be overly ambitious, so we'll see how things go. This sounds appealing to me though because I can tackle different themes instead of having to create runic maps until my eyes bleed. In the mean time, I'll keep the maps coming when I can!

Originally posted by Johnny Law View Post
                  You should think about getting the final version of Unholy Ossuary uploaded to Quaddicted... that's where (eventually) most people will be able to discover and play it.

If you post a link to the zipfile over on your thread on func_msgboard, and ask about getting it to Quaddicted, that should help the process along.
                  Definitely! I would love to get my maps up on Quaddicted at some point, but I don't know if I should clutter things up with single releases when I would ideally like to put out a map pack/episode at some point. For now, I'm happy to post my maps here and get feedback from you guys to help polish them up into better shape until I feel that they are good and ready.

Comment

Just played through on Hard, another fantastic map!

Pros:
                    * Very well balanced, just the right amount of ammo.
                    * Excellent monster placement. The ambushes were awesome, especially the second shambler emerging from the shadows and the fiend in the dark hallway. Also the last 2 fiends, you set a delay time on their teleport which was awesome. I thought I was home free when I dropped down from the sky room.
                    * The atmosphere was spot-on to an episode 4 map, and it looked a lot better than the originals. I can tell you drew elements from E4M2, and it had some pain maze and nameless city vibes as well.

Cons:
                    * Really, not any. There were a couple places I might have added a few more detail brushes, but I only mention this at all because I can't think of anything else to say.

Don't be afraid to make a new thread and promote this map with your pictures and info. I'll double-post this in the new thread if you do make one. People around here latch on to new threads and lose interest in the old ones after a while...not everyone may be aware you've released this map. And new developments are sorely lacking on this site lately...it's gotten pretty slow.

EDIT: forgot to mention, I love the map name too.

Originally posted by MissBubbles
                    Definitely! I would love to get my maps up on Quaddicted at some point, but I don't know if I should clutter things up with single releases when I would ideally like to put out a map pack/episode at some point. For now, I'm happy to post my maps here and get feedback from you guys to help polish them up into better shape until I feel that they are good and ready.

I agree with this 100%
                    'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Just played through on Hard, another fantastic map!

Pros:
                      * Very well balanced, just the right amount of ammo.
                      * Excellent monster placement. The ambushes were awesome, especially the second shambler emerging from the shadows and the fiend in the dark hallway. Also the last 2 fiends, you set a delay time on their teleport which was awesome. I thought I was home free when I dropped down from the sky room.
                      * The atmosphere was spot-on to an episode 4 map, and it looked a lot better than the originals. I can tell you drew elements from E4M2, and it had some pain maze and nameless city vibes as well.

Cons:
                      * Really, not any. There were a couple places I might have added a few more detail brushes, but I only mention this at all because I can't think of anything else to say.

EDIT: forgot to mention, I love the map name too.
                      Thanks Dutch! I'm glad to hear you liked it

I appreciate the comment about the map looking better than the original it was based on. I myself thought it looked pretty bare, however this is somewhat intended due to Sandy's maps having a bit of architectural simplicity to them. I think part of this reason the visuals work though is the lighting hides a lot of the shortcomings in the details. There are, as you mentioned, some areas that are far emptier than others ( like the exit room for example ) but even then this is in reference to some of the rooms that Sandy made which look quite boxy and plain.

Honestly I'm a bit obsessed with the original mapping styles each designer had to the point that I find even the flaws make the maps charming in a way.

Anyway, visuals aside, this map was actually a bit rushed, and completed in under a week. I'm prepared to change up the gameplay if need be depending on what other players may think of it. It seems like you liked it though so that makes me happy!

Don't be afraid to make a new thread and promote this map with your pictures and info. I'll double-post this in the new thread if you do make one. People around here latch on to new threads and lose interest in the old ones after a while...not everyone may be aware you've released this map. And new developments are sorely lacking on this site lately...it's gotten pretty slow.
                      I wasn't sure what the rules are regarding this. I didn't want to spam the forums each time I come out with a new map - but if you think that this is fine, and will garner more attention, then I'll go ahead and do that in the morning.

Thanks again for playing it!

Comment

Hello MissBubbles,

Great to see that you did another map !
                        I have read that you already work on a 3rd map (in Episode 2 universe) .
                        Really looking forward to your next releases.

Please keep up the good work.

Best wishes,
                        Seven

Comment

Working...
                        X