SP: Shadow over Innsmouth (shadow)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SP: Shadow over Innsmouth (shadow)

A nice contrast to all the great base maps released during the QExpo, here we have a classic oldskool (rel. ī97) map set in a medieval town by Steve Rescoe.
    No base enemies are found here, but only Quakeīs dark evil forces (128 on hard) roam the streets, looking for a spot to ambush the unwary player. A lot of them have new skins (even the zombies) which, together with some custom textures, greatly enhance the mood of this map.
    Gameplay has an interesting mix of different situations, there are the typical ambushes, but also quad runs and areas to explore (3 secrets), like some nicely done underwater parts. All weapons except the lightning bolt are present, but the monster placement is very good and itīs difficult to use the explosive weapons in some smaller rooms.
    To top it off, the end battle is a challenging arena combat, a fitting climax for this atmospheric quality map.

Download 1 (RetroQuake) Fileplanet, but vised for transparent water (r_wateralpha 0.4 in console, recommended).
    Download 2 not vised for transparent water.

That looks nice, I aughta try that one out (rare occasion )
    e|------------------------0---------------
    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
    A|---------------0------------------------
    E|----------------------------------------

Comment

A lovecraft map? I'm impressed.
      "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

Hmmmm .... I wonder if I played this one. I'll have to load it up and find out.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

yep, definetly played this one. liked the town theme, and especially the back part with the water and cool looking scrags... The bad part was it was too short... I like the longer maps, the ones that make you feel like you are on a journey of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by Bank
            A lovecraft map? I'm impressed.
            Yes forgot to mention that in the initial post, the title is obviously borrowed from one of his novels.
            For more Lovecraft in Quake check out Kellīs maps, the Gug monster from Quoth is a Lovecraft creature, also the Contract Revoked pack has a secret room dedicated to him.

Comment

Working...
            X