This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Single Player Episode/Map Thread

What's your favorite single player map or Quake episode?

Castle of Koohoo (Download page) is my vote.

(And the above screenshot does not do this map ANY justice at all.)

Added info site---> http://vondur.planetquake.gamespy.com/maps/koohoo.html
    Last edited by Baker; 03-16-2006, 03:25 PM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

I have played just so many... I have no idea which is my absolute favorite.

Comment

Beyond Belief

Beyond Belief by Matthias Worch, iirc, is one of my favorite Quake episodes. It is old, but it is still good, and it feels incredibly Quake. There are great levels that are newer than this, with more detail and wonderful flow, but even now Beyond Belief really feels like Quake to me, and is still very fun.

I would also suggest ProdigyXL by Dario Casali, and Mexx9enumbra of Domination.
      Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

YEP! I remember beyond belief... That is one of my favorites. I played that when I was like 7. I remember my Dad downloading it and me begging him to get off the computer to play it... Good memories...

Comment

Nehahra of course deserves a mention.

Contract Revoked is probably my favourite. Was a pretty cool experience even if it might not be the best gameplay.

Comment

Wind Tunnels!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian*Sniper
              Wind Tunnels!!!!

You know, there is a sequel to the Wind Tunnels called Antediluvian released in September 2005.

Underworld review: http://www.planetquake.com/underworl...rev050905.html

Func_Msgboard annoucement:
              http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=37250

It is a very good and challenging map.
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I only dl maps that other servers use nowadays. I never have the time to host my own server and using unique maps would cause problems with other people anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian*Sniper
                  I only dl maps that other servers use nowadays. I never have the time to host my own server and using unique maps would cause problems with other people anyways.
                  *cough* This is a single player episode thread */cough*

Comment

Just raising my post count

Comment

Originally Posted by Canadian*Sniper
                      Just raising my post count
                      *bumps the sticky thread*
                      Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow
                        Beyond Belief by Matthias Worch, iirc, is one of my favorite Quake episodes. It is old, but it is still good, and it feels incredibly Quake.
                        It's like the lost fifth episode of quake! That guy had the feel down so perfectly, he either is John Romero's pseudonym or he wasted more time playing the id maps than is good for anybody.

It feels like the real thing. It's creepy. It has all the little gadgets, moving things, switches that do weird stuff, fiends coming out of the floor, traps, etc...

ever looked at the ceiling designs? the underwater passages? He went all the way.

BB is the best add-on episode there is, gameplay-wise.

of course, Zerstörer is a classic. Every Quake fan owes it to himself to go around in the dark busting mega-enforcers with a riot controller. BLAM BLAM!
                        Scout's Journey
                        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy
                          of course, Zerstörer is a classic. Every Quake fan owes it to himself to go around in the dark busting mega-enforcers with a riot controller. BLAM BLAM!
                          Yeah, Zerstörer is a classic. You have to play it thru to the end to get the feel, IMHO.

Comment

Is that the one that ends with the player dying in a gib fountain? (select)

Comment

sajt: that sounds like it. Although I don't remember. I never played it through to the end, because tbh I got bored and just watched the speedruns. I'm not into the cutscenes, too. not my cup of tea.

baker: It's just very "bland" or... sparse. Nihilistic. It does get better, though. My favourite level from it is "Blutsturz". That actually has some level design.
                              The later levels ("Bunker"?) are too stairs-and-corridors for me somehow.

the atmosphere is what makes it a classic.

Now the crowd controller and chainsaw in a standalone pak... *yummy*

*dream*
                              Scout's Journey
                              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Working...
                              X