X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Undergate

The Undergate is complete.

The Undergate is a gateway map with screenshots, map captions, author's names and, where applicable, map ratings or Classic Hall of Fame rank according to the Underworld Reviews site.

Download: The Undergate EZ Installer - 79.7 MB

This download includes:

-The Undergate
    -104 maps and/or map series
    -Skyboxes and lits where applicable
    -All readmes
    -Demos if contained in the archive zip
    -aguirRe's Enhanced GLQuake and WinQuake
    -FitzQuake 0.80
    -Installs EZ shortcuts
    -Improved progs.dat by RocketGuy and Lardarse

The Undergate took about 3 months of work and RocketGuy and Lardarse helped with the QuakeC work to provide some seamless and user-friendly characteristics.

The Undergate:

1. Returns to the Undergate after completion of a map.
    2. Displays the current SKILL LEVEL when starting, particularly helpful with JoeQuake where the skill setting is saved to the config and also helpful when doing back to back maps if the skill level has been changed.
    3. Has skill selector buttons, so every custom map -- even ones without a start map -- have a non-annoying way of selecting the skill.
    4. Fish count fix. (Quake's progs.dat has a problem with fish).

The map also features a non-functional Red teleporter that keeps the options open for a future concept called the Mega Hub (this concept expanded out to a series of different selector maps, who knows, I might even create a "live" selector map -- but that would not be in the immediate future).

The goal of this is to provide a user-friendly experience so even non-Quake literate/computer-literate types can experience a selection of the fine single player custom maps out there conveniently, as I feel not enough multiplayer-types have ever played a single player map, and I had no idea how great they are until I tried a couple.

This set of maps strictly abides by all readmes. I read countless readme's to sort out which ones that could not be included. One map I particularly wanted to include, Alcatraz (with the crane), did have a restrictive readme.txt and I emailed Tyrann for permission only to find out he had GPL'd the map, hehe

Anyway, if I made any mistakes or if you are a map author and I make a mistake reading the readme.txt, please let me know as I went to great lengths to out sort maps where the author wanted the archive name unchanged, etc.

This was a lot of work, and the QuakeC assistance by RocketGuy and Lardarse should be a major factor in making some of the aesthetics enjoyable, if you discover a problem with the map or otherwise, please post about it so it can be fixed.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

requesting a 7zip download.

So what server is going to use this?

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian*Sniper View Post
      requesting a 7zip download.

So what server is going to use this?
      I'll add a 7z. It isn't for use on a server, it is to play single player and conveniently be able to try out a nice selection single player maps.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

7-Zip version added:

7-Zip Format Download: Undergate.7z - 75.8 MB

This 7-Zip is a multi-folder archive with 6 subfolders and is meant for advanced users and does not install a shortcut. This archive requires 7-Zip or WinRAR. If you are not very computer literate, you should use the EZ Installer instead, which does everything for you.

7-Zip instructions:

1. Unzip archive into c:\quake or the location of where your Quake is located.
        2. The start-up command is as follows:

c:\quake\yourQuake.exe -game undergate -width 1024 -height 768 -bpp 32 -gamma .65 -heapsize 32768 +map undergate

The recommended engines for this are aguirRe's Enhanced GLQuake/Enhanced WinQuake or FitzQuake.

Comment

ARGHARGHARGH!
          Probably it happened because of me just renaming the file:

Unfortunately there are two thepit.zip out there. One is the very ugly and bad http://www.quaddicted.com/filebase/thepit.zip
          Title : ThePit
          Filename : ThePit.ZIP { ThePit.BSP, ThePit.TXT, ThePit.RMF, ThePit.MAP }
          Author : Mike Biggerstaff { a.k.a. Miko }
          The other one is http://www.quaddicted.com/filebase/thepit_2.zip (I renamed it to _2 because it was newer):
          Title : The Pit
          Date : 03/26/2001
          Filename : thepit.bsp
          Author : Attila Csernyik
          underworldfan reviewed the "_2" one. Included in "The Undergate" is the "old and very bad" one.

Sorry! (It's not really my fault but anyways.) Maybe you can just modify the archive on the server?

Another thought/suggestion: I'd rather place the undergate.bsp in /undergate/maps. It does not run with vanilla Quake and thus should not be in /id1/maps/ in my opinion.

This is another great project from you!
          Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
            ARGHARGHARGH!
            Probably it happened because of me just renaming the file:

Unfortunately there are two thepit.zip out there. One is the very ugly and bad http://www.quaddicted.com/filebase/thepit.zip

The other one is http://www.quaddicted.com/filebase/thepit_2.zip (I renamed it to _2 because it was newer):

underworldfan reviewed the "_2" one. Included in "The Undergate" is the "old and very bad" one.

Sorry! (It's not really my fault but anyways.) Maybe you can just modify the archive on the server?
            Sure, the thepit.zip and oblivion.zip both were problematic in my mind and I should have renamed thepit.bsp to thepitb.bsp to avoid a potential conflict.

I need to identify the authors of, I believe, 3 maps that didn't have readme.txt in the zip archives from FilePlanet and add the author name to those ... so I will be doing an update anyway.

Another thought/suggestion: I'd rather place the undergate.bsp in /undergate/maps. It does not run with vanilla Quake and thus should not be in /id1/maps/ in my opinion.
            I need to have the undergate in c:\quake\id1\maps because it is intended to be a piece of a larger project that I hope happens, which is taking this concept and scaling it up. The Red teleporter would act as a gate to another origin point (QuakeC can change the trigger_multiple to a trigger_changelevel).

I understand your point of view on the folder placement and debated making it live in the gamedir only. I may alter the undergate map in the future to make it load without a gamedir, I am thinking over the options.

This is another great project from you!
            Thanks, this was more work than I had anticipated.

Comment

Spirit, are you saying this "thepit.zip" is the right one or the "wrong" one (either way I'll rename it in the archive and update the map to, say thepit_2.bsp or something):

Or is this the wrong one?

When I click on the thepit.zip on the UnderworldFan site it pulls up the 2001 version of the ThePit by Attila Csernyik.

There is a 1998 version of ThePit by Mike Biggerstaff, the one you linked.

I think the 2001 version is the "right" one. Am I making any sense, hehe? Authors should never release 2 maps with the same name (argh).
              Last edited by Baker; 09-05-2006, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Argh! Time to laugh now!

Of course I simply had the thepit.bsp in my maps directory and I only grabbed the small version you posted at func. You are right, I am wrong. Sorry for the trouble...

edit: Oh, and I would not rename the bsp file. The older one isn't worth being on any harddisk...
                Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

That other ThePit is rather crappy, isn't it? Heheh

Comment

That must have taken forever.

Comment

well, this looks cool.

First i know about it, Baker never tells me anything.

Comment

It didn't have a name until Monday, I believe. Until very recently, I hadn't even thought about the name at all, I was more focused on building it and figuring out the challenges/issues.

Then came time to name the project and called it the Undergate in homage to the source I used to locate the maps.

I am hoping that it will increase interest in single player due to how incredibly convenient it is.

I hope you and everyone else likes it. I have some additional ideas for the future for expanding upon the idea.

Comment

Could use some help. Underworld doesn't seem to save settings. I added set freelook "1", because that isn't in the menu options and it was saved ok, but the normal settings of the key selection is not saved from game to game.

Comment

I'm going to guess you are using JoeQuake 0.15, since the Undergate requires a gamedir, you must do cvar_savevars 1 a single time because JoeQuake does not, by default, save settings.

(I think JoeQuake's lack of saving settings by default is a bad thing, numerous players have been puzzled by the bizarre behavior.)

Comment

add: I'll make cvar_savevars set to 1 in the QuakeC when I make a revised update of the Undergate, to avoid JoeQuake 0.15's slightly odd cvar behavior.

Comment

Working...
                              X