• Show
Clear All

• SP: Castle of the Dark Ages

Map Name: Castle of the Dark Ages
    Author: JPL
    Year Made: 2005
    Review: Underworld Review Site

Download: cda.zip from author's site

I once confused this enormous map with the other modern-day gigantic castle map, Day of Lords, and actually never played this until recently.

If used with a fog-supporting engine like Enhanced GL Quake or FitzQuake, this map looks simply incredible.

You can click the review link above to read the reviews, but the thing I noticed and took away from the map a little is how quickly the super-nail gun was available.

In single player, the super nail gun is basically the king of all weapons -- it takes about 16 rockets to kill a Shambler but a super nail gun can kill any monster in a matter of seconds.

The ending of the map was excellent and the whole map is amazingly detailed (and huge). The worst thing about playing this kind of map is that makes you want more maps like this ... huge/beautiful/detailed, and there aren't many maps like this one.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Looks cool. Almost looks like the house/fortress/castle is underwater. It must be Atlantis!

Comment

That's the fog in, presumably, FitzQuake.

I didn't take the time to take my own screenshots using Enhanced GLQuake, but it looks awesome. I think the gamma/contrast in the above screenshots is off enough to warp the look a little.

This is truly an awesome map.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

it takes about 16 rockets to kill a Shambler
        ???

It's 10-12, usually 11.

Or better still, learn how to take it out with the shotgun. Yes, the single, not the double...
        16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
        16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

It takes about 16 [for me] to kill a shambler, heh. I miss with some of the rockets because typically I'm behind something intermittently coming out to fire.

/yes I employ the tactic to try to get the shambler to use the melee attack and back out of range while using the shotgun, but I'm not elite at it and much of the time there is more than a Shambler in the vicinity. I don't play on "Easy".

Comment

That's a tactict I use a lot! Lol. I come right up to the shambler or ogre and get them to start swinging at me then back off as I fire. I love the nailgun for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter90 View Post
              That's a tactict I use a lot! Lol. I come right up to the shambler or ogre and get them to start swinging at me then back off as I fire. I love the nailgun for this.
              Uhh, guy, you do realize you just bumped a thread from 4 years ago right?

Comment

Working...
              X