Abyss of Pandemonium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dooomer View Post
    I use the version from Quake Terminus as well, and don't see how it can be "very unfinished"?

It's got two episodes, and two bosses, although one of the boss is a bit weak in appearance (the girl general of quake). It's complete enough as an addon.
    I was referring to mapping. Many areas looked really plain (unfinished) and monster placement seemed sketchy.

I may play it again just to see if I remember it right.
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Hmm, I replayed the aopv105.zip from quaddicted. It's not what I remember playing, this is pretty strange... perhaps I played some demo or just mixed things up somehow.

What I played is complete enough, yeah. The base maps aren't my cup of tea, or they are just not very good. The later maps were better. I liked the end map of the first episode (some of the most pretentious doors ever... oh look, it opens really slowly!)

I played into episode 2, but got severe headaches (really) because I couldn't figure out how to get some key, and some of these levels are lengthy. I had to stop playing because of headache.

The custom monsters are a nice try I guess. For the time they seem OK, while today we are probably spoiled by Quoth monsters, the Mega enforcer, Centroid, and a number of other really good custom monsters. The best ones were the lightning-whip-thing knights, but they are a bit tough for knights...

The custom weapons were not my cup of tea.

The new sounds seemed to have distortion issues, or some were just really loud. Nice touch were the new axe impact sounds. The footsteps got on my nerves quickly.

Theming was all right, but finding a laser armor thingy in a Runic level was a bit strange. Lighting seemed a bit... bland? But some good ideas I guess... I found the amount of crosses and devil faces a bit extreme... blood was good though.

I'd say I like it about as much as the Rogue pack. ^^ Meaning, it's OK when you're desperate for some change from your normal Id/hipnotic/Quoth diet. Although personally, I'd reach for Zerstörer then.

Strange, I really remembered this a lot differently. I played in Proquake, and it seemed to run slower than normal. Felt a bit weird and messed up parts of my config, like mouse sensitivity... it may be the fact that someone dropped a box of Bavarian beer in my room though. But I normally don't get headaches from that.

I ripped the textures ^^ some good ones. :-)

On a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate this a ... 6.5. OK a 7 for the effort.
      Scout's Journey
      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by aguirRe View Post
        If you want a small patch I can upload it again.
        Yes please, aguirRe, that would be most good of you. Does this patch fix the demo as well? I always delete the demo1 to get the game running, and have been curious about what the demo is about.

Can you upload the patch to Spirit's site so it can be always accessible?

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
          Hmm, I replayed the aopv105.zip from quaddicted......
          1.Yeah the end of the first episode is cool, and the boss is hedious enough to be a boss!
          2. about the length of some levels... well have you played through Insomnia and Travail and other great addons that have really long levels?
          3. The custom monsters... They are still cool, although some can use a face-lift in texturing... The animations are ok enough...
          4. Never paid much attention to sounds...
          5. I guess the new weapons' texturing could have been better, now they just seem a bit too bright/new compared to the stock ID weapons.
          6. Overall it is not the top on my "great quake addon" list, but definitely holds a place...

Comment

OK, I've uploaded a minimum AoP patch here: http://user.tninet.se/~xir870k/aop_bjp.7z . It contains progs fixes including the null.mdl and a patched demo1. I don't want to upload to a permanent site, since this is not an official patch and it's also a WIP.

Let me know when you've grabbed it.

Comment

Grabbed it. Thanks aguirRe! The demo is working alright now.

Comment

Good!

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                  I was referring to mapping. Many areas looked really plain (unfinished) and monster placement seemed sketchy.

I may play it again just to see if I remember it right.

You remember it right. Impel was an equal ops employer and some of the QA issues were directly related to the youngest of our mappers, who gave it the old college try - but didn't in the end have the work ethic or a brilliant enthusiasm for all the hard work of envisioning, creating, and testing for a real commercial add-on pack. The mapping talent was there, burgeoning, but uncontrolled.

It should be noted that some of the later levels feature textures by Kaspar Loit, matched to Jim Hendrickson's work, and a number of levels from Marcus "Mexx" Dromowicz, an ultra talented designer. Check out those levels if you get a chance, they are like night and day to the others.

Anyhow I'm going to troll this thread a little more, and respond since I don't get out much.

Alex

Comment

What I played is complete enough, yeah. The base maps aren't my cup of tea, or they are just not very good. The later maps were better. I liked the end map of the first episode (some of the most pretentious doors ever... oh look, it opens really slowly!)

The custom monsters are a nice try I guess. For the time they seem OK, while today we are probably spoiled by Quoth monsters, the Mega enforcer, Centroid, and a number of other really good custom monsters. The best ones were the lightning-whip-thing knights, but they are a bit tough for knights...

The custom weapons were not my cup of tea.

The new sounds seemed to have distortion issues, or some were just really loud. Nice touch were the new axe impact sounds. The footsteps got on my nerves quickly.

Theming was all right, but finding a laser armor thingy in a Runic level was a bit strange. Lighting seemed a bit... bland? But some good ideas I guess... I found the amount of crosses and devil faces a bit extreme... blood was good though.

On a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate this a ... 6.5. OK a 7 for the effort.

Thanks, that is what I feel is a totally accurate review lol I agree with 99% of it!

For us, it was a real victory, doing our very first commercial boxed game, just when 3D hardware was coming out for the first time, using the first true 3D engine. We fought against a huge company half way around the world, and with the help of the development and gaming communities we kicked their asses and made it front page news. I think, this pack gets my nostalgic energy if only because it was a milestone for us, in terms of our careers just starting in the field, and a lot of fellow developers saw that it could be done their way, if they had the balls and still succeed.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on it, its really cool to see people enjoying or even thinking at all about work we did over 10 years ago!

Comment

Thanks for making it

The lack of balls is a huge dev problem, sadly it seems gets worse the more wheels there are in any company, and if you're any good you gain wheels quickly, supposedly there to help.

In Pandemonium you tried lots of new ideas and cool stuff, very rare to see in modern games - I'd probably give it a solid 7/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Cybermind View Post
                        If any of you still want the full version of AoP, it would be my pleasure to provide a full version download. just email me at [email protected]
                        Did anybody get the full version of AoP from Cybermind
                        if so can someone send me a PM with a link

Comment

Originally posted by reuveng View Post
                          I would like to get my hands on this as well.

Comment

here is the
                            Abyss of Pandemonium Retail CD Update Patch v1.09
                            Abyss of Pandemonium Retail CD Update Patch v1.07

http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/planetquake/impel/

Comment

Originally posted by reuveng
                              With Cybermind's acknowledgement, Aguirre's help and fellow beta testers support, we managed to work on the original AoP files a couple of months ago.
                              In the meantime, personal obligations kept me away from computer gaming.
                              As co-ordinator of the project, I therefore postponed this re-relase without futher info.

I now expect to be more available and feel the urge to come back to Quake.
                              So I plan to finish this job and make AoP - The Final Mission 2.0 available for you all very soon!

Comment

Abyss is back!

New release with SP episodes restored, fixes, enhanced skins and more!

As promised. Get it here with all info -> http://qexpo.tastyspleen.net/booth.php?id=117

Comment

Working...
                                X