Need Help downloading Maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help downloading Maps

I really need help downloading maps! I unzip the zip file, read the directions inside the file, but have no idea what to do! Someone please help!

(Baker's yelling "I told you so" at me right now)

which set of maps are unzipping?

Solution:

All maps go into your maps directory in your id1 folder. Example, C:/program files/quake/id1/maps/

If the folder isn't already there, make it

edit:

I nominate this pic to be Quaker's forum avatar

Comment

But it says couldn't spawn server maps/masque.

Comment

if you look in your ../id1/maps folder and can't find masque.bsp then there's something wrong and you're not giving us enough details to figure it out.

Comment

Check to see if paths are enabled in whatever youre using to unzip, some archives have the path included, if that is the case you could have told it Quake\id1\maps and it put them in quake\id1\maps\id1\maps because of the archive containing a partial path.

If youre trying to play Masque of the Red Death, Id recommend you use a limit extending engine if youre not already. I used Darkplaces to play that map.
          Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

This is EXACTLY what I'm doing:
            Downloading the zip file,
            unzipping it,
            putting the level in the "maps" folder,
            entering the game,
            I press the ~ button.
            I type in "map masque"

Then I get the error message.

I'll try doing it on my ME computer. This is my xp computer.

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow View Post
              Check to see if paths are enabled in whatever youre using to unzip, some archives have the path included, if that is the case you could have told it Quake\id1\maps and it put them in quake\id1\maps\id1\maps because of the archive containing a partial path.

If youre trying to play Masque of the Red Death, Id recommend you use a limit extending engine if youre not already. I used Darkplaces to play that map.

I also don't get the engine part. Can you please tell me exactly what to download from that site?

Comment

Well my ME computer did not work at all. It won't even get me the zip file.

Comment

Sounds to me like you don't have registered Quake (a guess) and only have shareware Quake (if you type MAP DM3 into the console, does it load?)

As far as Masque of the Red Death goes, you must unzip it into c:\quake\masque and start the game as follows (Masque is a gamedir "mod", it has to be in it's own folder):

c:\quake\glquake.exe -hipnotic -game masque +map masquestart

Originally posted by scar3crow View Post
                  If youre trying to play Masque of the Red Death, Id recommend you use a limit extending engine
                  Not "recommend" ---> MUST

Only aguirRe's Enhanced GLQuake (site) and DarkPlaces (site) can load that map.
                  Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I do have the registared version of quake.

Comment

Also, can the custom levels work with winquake?

Comment

Just unzip it into c:\quake\masque or c:\program files\quake\masque -- you know what I mean, adjust it for your Quake folder:

Mine looks like this:

And use this command line:

c:\quake\glquake.exe -hipnotic -game masque +map masquestart

or

c:\quake\darkplaces.exe -hipnotic -game masque +map masquestart

[Only aguirRe's Enhanced GLQuake or DarkPlaces can load this map (Masque)! No other engines can load it.]

WinQuake = yes. But it has to be aguirRe's WinQuake!

Site = http://user.tninet.se/~xir870k/

Download = http://user.tninet.se/~xir870k/glquakebjp.zip (comes with a WinQuake too, despite the name)
                        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I got it to work! :d

Comment

Sweet! Enjoy Masque, its insane =)

Then go and download everything else ever... I recommend Beyond Belief, The Elektra Complex is a tight little map, oh God there are so many good maps... Browse http://underworld.planetquake.gamespy.com/ pick a map you think looks good that he recommends (hes got pretty good taste) and then head over to http://www.quaddicted.com/filebase/ and find the file name of the map in there - Youve got years of good gameplay awaiting you in these maps alone.
                            Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Hi Quaker Welcome to Quake!
                              QuakeOne.com
                              Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                              Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                              Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Working...
                              X