X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding Good Single Player Maps

Finding Good Single Player Maps

Pictured, from top to bottom:

Nehahra, Nehahra (again), A Desert Dusk 2, Once Upon Atrocity, Marcher Fortress, And All That Could Have Been, Coagula Contest, Concentric Devastation

If the only single player you have played is the single player that came with Quake, you've been missing out.

It is not that Quake single player is bad, you probably liked exploring it the first time. It is that you've played those maps a thousand times. Every corner has been explored, you've "been there" and "done that". There is no element of surprise.

Custom Maps and Episodes

One of the best things about good custom single player maps is exploring a new landscape or environment.

The fact is, there are many map makers (and teams of map makers) of that have made maps and custom episodes that truely are vastly superior and more entertaining than the original Quake episodes.

Map making tools have improved, custom monsters have been created and a great deal of painstaking care and play testing have gone into newer maps.

Types of Maps

This is hardly an exhaustive list but among the numerous categories of custom maps:

- Egyptian Maps
    - Castle Maps
    - Base Maps
    - Escape Maps
    - Tech/Future Maps
    - Desert Maps
    - Themed Maps

Many maps do not actually fit squarely in any category.

Some maps use only the standard Quake monsters, some maps employ many new monsters such as eels, archers, mega enforcers, spiders and even dragons.

Custom Monsters

Some Examples, most from Quoth because they were readily available:

Review Sites

The main trick is finding quality single player maps and episodes to play. There are some bad ones out there. For this, we turn to review sites.

In my experience, the best source is the Underworld site:

http://www.planetquake.com/underworld

It is currently updated, meaning new maps get reviewed there from time to time, and they have a section called the Hall of Fame, where the reviewer has selected what he feels are the best maps and episodes ever made based on consensus, feedback via email and other sources.

Some other sites with a great many high quality map reviews:

Ethereal Hell
    Team Shambler
    RetroQuake

And a site where new listings are frequently posted, discussed and even developed:

Func_Msgboard

And a site with no less than 1000 single player maps serving as archive so files do not get lost. This site is run by the Spirit and also features map ratings on many maps.

Quaddicted

Quake Clients/Engines

This is sticky subject because everyone has their favorite Quake client. My favorite Quake client is JoeQuake because it has a built-in maps menu, otherwise taking the pain out of single player.

Clients favored for single player use:

FitzQuake is an improved GL client that is the engine of choice by many in the mapping community. It is an improved single player engine with more options in the control panel with improved rendering and higher limits than GLQuake while remaining faithful.

DarkPlaces is a graphically enhanced client with countless of options in the control panel. It is an increased capacity engine, capable of handling more entities, sounds, etc.

JoeQuake is available in the Win and GL varieties and is a more flexible and newskool Quake with nice features like a maps menu and, like FitzQuake, has higher entity limits than regular Quake.

Mod Single Player

In addition to standard old school single player, there are mods and total conversions. I'm no expert on this subject, but some examples:

QMatrix which is a Matrix conversion and is very nice.

Prydon's Gate is an RPG quest style total conversion. Very different, although I admit I am not really into that type of play.

X-Men: Ravages of Apocalypse is a total conversion.

More total conversions can be found at the QuakeTerminus mod gallery:

http://www.quaketerminus.com/addon.htm

Summary

There are enough good single player maps to last the average person a lifetime.

This is just one point of view and I don't claim to know it all. Feel free to add your additions, corrections, opinions and comments in this thread.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Another way of finding good maps is in the archives of now defunct sites, my favorite being Single Player Level Heaven, where he only posted levels that he really liked. It can be found here http://www.planetquake.com/spq2/quake1/ Read the reviews, check out the screenshots, and then write down the file name if you want it, and head on over to ftp://ftp.mancubus.net/pub/idgames2/levels/ and find it. It may not necessarily have it, but it will have many of them.

Honestly, just play any map by Kell, Vondur, czg, Mathias Worch, Dario Casali, metlslime... Actually most of the names in #terrafusion and on Func_Msgboard are responsible for some good single player maps. But you cant go wrong with any of the levels on SPQ, though a bit dated (he eventually stopped the site to focus on Q2 if that tells you anything, and then dropped that when his son was born).

Another great thing about many single player maps, is you can play them with mods of all sorts (such as KQP for pure insanity, or NAVY Seals and so on).
    Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

if at possible, someone link me to a nice big zip file of a bunch of these maps? pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez?

Comment

In the top/first post where it says this, I hyped linked each and every one of them:

Pictured, from top to bottom:

Nehahra, Nehahra (again), A Desert Dusk 2, Once Upon Atrocity, Marcher Fortress, And All That Could Have Been, Coagula Contest, Concentric Devastation
        Each of the episodes are hyperlinked to a site where you can download them in that top post in this thread (^^^).

"All The Could Have Been" is the ONLY map you can just toss in quake\id1\maps folder and then play using the JoeQuake/QRack maps menu or typing map whatever in the console in other clients (glquake.exe, etc.)

*ALL* of the others must be unzipped to a specific folder like add2, you unzip the contents to quake\add2 because they have custom monsters (spiders, megaenforcers, scorpions, fire shamblers) except Coagula Contest, which can't go in quake\id1 simply because it has it's own start map.

(Each of those images are from maps/episodes that I'd rank a 10 out of 10, btw).
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Nehahra is king. The Seal of Nehahra is even better.
          "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

well, just download the whole of http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/levels/ before its gone and then just play play play

additionaly check sites like func_messageboard for new releases, 99% of all the mappers there have released Q1SP stuff of high quality, just search around on their respective sites.

Comment

Spirit at Quaddicted has all the single player maps that ever existed backed up at Quaddicted.com, just fyi.

Yeah, it would suck if/when the gamers.org archive gets lost.

Comment

Hey

Just stopped by to say, nice one Baker! It was very good of you to highlight the Single-player mapping community like this.

You've picked some very good maps for people to check out. To people that have been out of the custom SP loop for a while, I'd definitely recommend checking out The Marcher Fortress first, to give an idea of the scope of releases that are possible nowadays with custom engines. One major release i'd add to the list is GlassMan's epic map Day of the Lords. Anyway, cheers again, I'm enjoying this site!

Comment

Originally posted by Starbuck
                  Just stopped by to say, nice one Baker! It was very good of you to highlight the Single-player mapping community like this. ...

Anyway, cheers again, I'm enjoying this site!
                  We're glad to see you here, Starbuck. We've tried to make this an all-inclusive Quake site for no matter what part one likes about Quake. Thanks for the compliments.

Just wondering something ... did you used to play at Widomaker a couple of years back?

Comment

Ohhh YESSS day of the lords is one of my all time favorite SP maps. I just LOVE the castle architecture, and smooth gameplay of it.

Comment

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< hey Monster!
                      Are you're taking about Glassman's *gmsp3.bsp*?
                      ...yep. I fall on my knees!

I'm in love with the sleekness of Colony (gmsp1) too

Glassman has an email address he doesn't answer anymore.
                      As well as work in progress for some Nehahra map.
                      God... Everybody including Mindcrime is trying to reach him...

Raagoonshinnaah!!! I beg you!!!

˜jX

Comment

Nehahra is so good! Joequake is compatible (to play it multiplayer). Shootable walls are fun! The AI is quite more challenging than anything I've seen.

Is it just me or is Coagula not able to be downloaded?

Comment

Thanks to Spirit @ Quaddicted, this can never be the case:

Download Archive: Coagula Contest

Might I say, some of the most awesome maps ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
                            Might I say, some of the most awesome maps ever.
                            I might add there has been 2 Coagula Contests.
                            Both are ***** Q1SP paks!

Coagula 1

Originally posted by Fat Controller on his website
                            This contest was started by Tronyn with Elek's blessing as a challenge to create a map or maps in the style of Elek's Coagula series: Namely, a set of open structures floating in a void, suitable for both single player and deathmatch (as Coagula was originally intended as a deathmatch map.)
                            - Fat Controller's review.
                            - [Kona]'s Etheral Hell review (no frame).
                            - Alternate FilePlanet download link.

Coagula 2

Originally posted by Underworldfan on his website
                            These six maps are the entries for the Coagula Contest 2, organized by myself. I reviewed and judged the maps submitted.
                            Coagula maps are maps floating in a starry/black void, where often you plummet to your death as you fall off the thin walkways, pathways, ramps, platforms and outcrops that typically make up a coagula level.
                            - Download Coagula 2 pak from Pushplay's Quake page.
                            - Alternate FilePlanet download link.

Visit Tim ELEK website. Creator of the first Coagula maps (included in the 1rst contest).
                            TeamShambler reviews of Darkness Within, Castle Golgotha, Coagula, Coagula2_Flesh and Coagula3_Bone.

Don't miss one of my all time faves, Precipice Continuum.
                            Canyons are already present in Golgotha (as well as some parts of it) but here...
                            Omg!... Prepare for the ultimate *3D* trip! That water pit... Argh!
                            This one is a must have... Play it before reading the review (Retroquake)!

In conclusion, Nehahra again, with ELEK's masterpiece add-on The Tides of War.

Download it from Neh website.

ELEK is the creator of 8 maps of Nehahra, including the start and 2 cutscenes.
                            He's now retired of what he warmly refer[s] to as commiting mappery. What a legacy!

˜jX

Comment

Baker, no that's some other dude. I need a rarer handle

JohnXmas, agreed, the coagula packs have some great maps. Necros' entry to the first pack, "The Emptiness Without" is one of my favourite maps of all time, in any category.

It's only because the maps were being judged equally on their SP/DM merits that it wasn't the clear winner too. He went with a full SP experience and it just sucked in DM so dropped from 1st to last place.

Such a bleak atmosphere, so strange. Necros at his best. I like him more when he's being minimalist, than when he's pushing the boundaries and making absolute epics, for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X