Scourge of Armagon, fantastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scourge of Armagon, fantastic

I'm surprised there is no SoA thread yet - time to make one :-)

I just played halfway through again and watched the marathon from SDA. What can I say, consider me a fanboy from now on.

SoA, Quake's first mission pack, had been gathering dust on my harddrive, so when I untarred and rediscovered it, I was very pleasantly surprised. I remembered it to be OK, but it's really much more than that. It's great, as good as Beyond Belief.

It's not really something you'd consider "nice to look at" (hence no screenshots). What makes it so great is the intense gameplay, the secrets, the layout, and the overall build quality. There's not a bad map in there.

It has three episodes, the most remarkable being the first, which is completely base themed with some mine sections thrown in. There's a new monster, the unique Centroid (giant mechanical scorpion), and new weapons; a proximity mine launcher (press 6 to toggle) and the superb laser gun. The latter is so much fun that I couldn't put it down (impulse 225.) You get practically all weapons early, and lots of ammo, so there's no holding back. All in all some really good and extremely fun base maps.

Episode 2 is of a medieval/gothic theme. There's some intense fighting going on, good level design, just good flow. A bit like Quake's episode 2. It starts to become a tiny bit chaotic here, since you're mostly fighting gangs of several types of monsters at once. There's a new monster, the Gremlin, which is often seen dropping from ledges or out of small openings. They can theoretically steal your weapon and use it on you, but they go down too easily for this to be effective. Their sounds and animation are cool though.

Episode 3 carries on with the medieval theme. It reminds me of Quake's episode 4. It's visually pretty weird, and the action gets even more chaotic because of many weird secrets, traps and the twisted layout. You get another new weapon, the Mjölnir from Norse legend, which appropriately shoots lightning bolts on impact, but it's not as good as the laser gun.

There are new artifacts, the Horn of Conjuring (summons a friendly monster), the Empathy shield (not really clear what this does) and another kind of biosuit.

Verdict: Very much fun. Some of the coolest base maps around, if you like those.

There's a movie called Scourge Done Slick (at SDA/QDQ), but sadly I can't watch it as it crashes Joe and Proquake. :-(

AVI version Scourge done Slick:

http://speeddemosarchive.com/quake/videos.html

Sadly, it's on Fileplanet, but there's always Bugmenot.com.
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

the Empath Shield is kind of like the rune of vengence. monsters feel pain when they hurt you. whether or not the pain they feel is equal to the pain they cause, or if its based on a percentage of the pain they cause is unknown. the new biosuit, the wetsuit, protects from LG discharging as well as drowning and slime. also, you swim faster when wearing it.

Comment

I really liked Scourge of Armagon. My favorite section was the mines.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I remember I liked the Horn of Conjuring alot. I would save my game and keep reloading until I got a Shambler

Comment

i'm a huge, huge fan of scourge of armagon and the scourge done slick speedrun. i've probably watched that thing fifty times in the last few years. my name is even in the end credits because i attempted some speed running with the rest of the team (didn't make the cut unfortunately, but man did i learn some of those levels inside and out).

lots of fun can be had with the proximity grenades.

Comment

Originally posted by cowgod View Post
            lots of fun can be had with the proximity grenades.
            I imagine they're cool in deathmatch - however SoA's got the same problem as all mission packs. It's not a standard for deathmatch, because not everybody has it and it's not easy to find.

If they had made this stuff freeware/OSS three years after the release, it might be a standard today. Sadly that's not how the world works.

Same problem with the Quake2 mission packs, they introduced some really cool stuff especially for DM, but no one plays them. Not even major bots support them...

Is there bot support for hipnotic anywhere? Frogbot, frikbot, omicron?

edit: oops, I was wrong. At least 3ZB supports The Reckoning. :-)
            Scout's Journey
            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I think I remember playing the Reaperbots implemented with Scourge of Armagon... The Reaperbots are way outdated though. You could definitely implement the Frikbots.

Comment

Originally posted by Death Knight View Post
                the Empath Shield is kind of like the rune of vengence. monsters feel pain when they hurt you. whether or not the pain they feel is equal to the pain they cause, or if its based on a percentage of the pain they cause is unknown.
                They take half what they do to you, which can be very useful for weaker monsters. Stronger monster will kill you before it matters, though...
                16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
                16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

gotcha, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                    There's a movie called Scourge Done Slick (at SDA/QDQ), but sadly I can't watch it as it crashes Joe and Proquake. :-(
                    That's a bit strange as SDA guys usually make sure that it works in Joe. I tried briefly with both those engines and it seems to run fine here. When and how does the movie crash, do you get an error message? Any special settings?

Comment

Have you tried the avi version?
                      16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
                      16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

AguirRe: Proquake 350 gives me a segmentation fault even before the menu, no details. Joequake works now but I had to cd to the quake dir and start the thing manually instead of using a bash script. *shrug*

Lardarse: I'm on ISDN here - movie downloads are a "not really." I like first-person recordings best anyway (except Dimension of the Gibbed, because it's _so_ funny.)

The movie: SDS was "OK". I found some one-liners a bit cheesy. I also thought it was a bit too militaristic, with the "Yes Sir!" thing it has going on. That's not exactly the picture I have of Quakeguy. Compared to DotG, the difference is really obvious.

The StarTrek quote ("reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated") was cool. :-)

The lite version was entertaining (the prox jump off the grunt, to the quad in hip1m2 for example - poor fellow.)
                        Scout's Journey
                        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Lardarse: I'm on ISDN here
                          That's old school :d
                          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Proquake 350 gives me a segmentation fault ... using a bash script
                            I assume you're referring to the Linux versions here. There's one thing in the SdS pak0 that might upset some engines; the file "gfx/loading.lmp". It's supposed to hide the Loading plaque when watching the demos.

The problem is that this file tells the engine that the Loading image has size 0x0, and depending on how the image loader is coded, you might get unexpected behaviour or crashes here.

Try deleting that file from pak0.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                              That's old school :d
                              Hehe, yeah. Probably. Would you believe that until a few months ago, there was no DSL available in this area? So we got ISDN. I guess we don't really have a pressing need to update. I don't watch movies on the PC, I don't even download MP3's. Just some CD ripping here and there, for my sister's MP3 player.

I have no idea why anybody would prefer to listen to music (including movie soundtracks) on PC speakers, when they could have a real stereo (I have an old Telefunken from the early 70s, and have found nothing else to compare to that sound.) Same with movies, I prefer to just rent/buy DVDs. I still have lots of VHS tapes, too.

I intend to get a cheap 3D card for my other PC, along with a used monitor (it's headless atm), so I can finally enjoy GL Quake like everybody else (three cheers here.) I'll only have to watch out for the Linux driver situation (I'll probably go Matrox or something, preferably *quiet*.) That's about the only tech update on my schedule this year.

AguirRe, thanks for the tip, will do that.

Hipnotic vs bbelief: I just watched Jaakko's new bbelief NH run (at SDA.) I have to say, bbelief is nicer to look at than SoA. Very simple, but tidy use of id textures there. Great demos, too.
                              Scout's Journey
                              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Working...
                              X