No announcement yet.

New Quake SP mission - Travail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spirit - His sig is Dopefish passing on occasion, letting out various degrees of flatulence. Tom Hall would be proud.
    Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

peg and polarite: what was it like playing travail on coop mode?

Comment

I can't pass the first rooms, and theres very litte space to strafe.

Comment

Hi, I may be addressing the wrong audience, but anyways
          If you would like to play Travail with QuakeWorld physics, you're welcome to try ZQuake: http://zquake.frag.ru/
          It has supported NQ mods for a while, and now playing Travail helped me smash some bugs that remained. Plays perfectly now

Comment

Oh wow. Just wow. I am not interested in the physics (hell, I'd like the "normal" ones much better) but for some nice internet cooping this is great.
            I never knew that zquake supports progs.dat.
            Gonna make a cvs checkout tomorrow and try.

Do kinn_bastion and kinn_marcher work with it?

Tei, keep trying, it gets better and better!
            Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

ZQuake's progs.dat support was written with single player games in mind, but coop will probably work. Or you could try an FTE server, it supports progs.dat, too.

Originally posted by Spirit
              Gonna make a cvs checkout tomorrow and try.
              I have fresh Windows builds on http://zquake.frag.ru, but if you insist on building your own, go for the SVN repository, branches/zquake-cpp is most recent.

Originally posted by Spirit
              Do kinn_bastion and kinn_marcher work with it?
              Dunno, gotta try when I fix my Windows machine.

Comment

I tried marcher earlier today and it apparently worked! I didn't play it (will try right now) but simply joined a local dedicated zqds server with 4 local zquake clients.

I am on Linux thus the SVN build, took me some time to figure out the links to CVS are no more, heh.
                Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                  I am on Linux thus the SVN build, took me some time to figure out the links to CVS are no more, heh.
                  Woot, do you mean you managed to build ZQuake client from SVN in Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Tonik View Post
                    Hi, I may be addressing the wrong audience, but anyways
                    If you would like to play Travail with QuakeWorld physics, you're welcome to try ZQuake: http://zquake.frag.ru/
                    It has supported NQ mods for a while, and now playing Travail helped me smash some bugs that remained. Plays perfectly now
                    Sounds pretty cool.

Although as one of the most experienced engine modders I'm sure you know this, but there is something different about how Quakeworld clients handle suspended items (maybe sitting on top of temporary entities?) at startup.

I know of more than a few maps where items (sometimes keys) fall out of the map with Quakeworld clients, for reasons unknown.
                    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                      there is something different about how Quakeworld clients handle suspended items (maybe sitting on top of temporary entities?) at startup.
                      Nah, that's news to me. What's suspended items?

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                      I know of more than a few maps where items (sometimes keys) fall out of the map with Quakeworld clients, for reasons unknown.
                      Oh, can you give me some examples please? I see "bonus item fell out of level" messages when playing some SP maps, but could never find what was missing, so I thought that maybe NQ's just suppressing the messages.

If it's a real issue then I'm willing to fix it.

And surely you mean Quakeworld servers

Comment

I see "bonus item fell out of level" messages when playing some SP maps, but could never find what was missing, so I thought that maybe NQ's just suppressing the messages.

If it's a real issue then I'm willing to fix it.

And surely you mean Quakeworld servers
                        Yeah, technically I mean the server, although I get the problem in single player so I said client

I'll get you some example maps sometime within the next 24 hours and also double check to confirm that the items do not fall out in NQ engines (I know they don't, one time I was playing a single player map in FuhQuake and was like "where the hell is the key?" and scrolled back the console and saw that it had fallen out of the map :d )
                        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Here is a list of maps that some item reported falling out of the level of the ones I checked:

a2a2 (Ambush Keen Pilgrims)
                          a3 (The Journey Home)
                          dazsp3
                          ariadat
                          fmb4 (For My Babies 4 by Mike Woodham)
                          xnq1002 (Centurion)
                          sm40_zwei
                          real (Far Beyond Reality)
                          kjsp1 (Avanipaala Praasaada)
                          thepit (The Pit)
                          czg04 (Numb Nimbus)
                          percept (Perception)
                          percon (Precipice Continuum)

I'll have to do some more testing and when I do I'll take screenshots of some of the missing items examples if I can determine where they are.

Note: I noticed ZQuake doesn't have the signon buffer problem with a lot of maps. Nice!
                          Last edited by Baker; 10-09-2007, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Baker: so, any examples yet?

I have checked several items on dazsp3 and they are missing both in ZQuake and JoeQuake. It seems that NQ loses items all the same, just the warnings are not printed (not sure why).

EDIT: okay, everything seems clear now. progs report missing items and stuck monsters with dprint(); NQ engines only show dprint messages when developer 1 is set, but ZQuake shows them always (this behavior was inherited from qwsv).

DarkPlaces has a quirk here: it doesn't remove items stuck in walls. It only removes items which fell 256 units down without being stopped. (All missing items seem to be of the first kind)

So when you see the "bonus item fell out of level" message in ZQuake, it may mean one of two things: either the map designer used an NQ engine other than DarkPlaces and didn't notice that some misplaced items were getting removed, or they used DarkPlaces for testing and didn't realize that some items were partially in a wall because they showed up all right in DP.

I'm open to suggestions as to whether to suppress dprint messages like NQ does, and whether to use DP behavior for items partially in a wall.
                            Last edited by Tonik; 11-15-2007, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Baker: so, any examples yet?
                              I'm sorry, Tonik. I have been uber-busy for over a month and this is going to continue for quite a while.

I feel bad for posting that without following up.

EDIT: okay, everything seems clear now. progs report missing items and stuck monsters with dprint(); NQ engines only show dprint messages when developer 1 is set, but ZQuake shows them always (this behavior was inherited from qwsv).
                              Yeah, maybe it is just a warning message difference that just gives the perception of different behavior.

Comment

Fine, good, awesome.
                                Nuff said.

Comment

Working...
                                X