something that has been bothering me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• something that has been bothering me

in all the expansion paks and stuff that have been released, and this applies for all 4 Quakes...

do we ever actually get to see and fight Quake himself? there have been all these other sub-bosses, Armagon, Shub-Nigurath, Makron, The Dragon, Xearo (if he counts), the list goes on. where does it end?

if it ended,could there a Quake5,or 6?

maybe,but it might fuck things up a bit ;p
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Quake is powered by imagination, to have the audacity to attempt to render such a creature and code it as well that matches up to even 1/100th of a single gamers concept, let alone millions is mindboggling. I am glad that we have not witnessed Quake, and do prefer to think of it outside of a linear spatial concept.

Bring on more elder gods, more corruptions of the runes, more turncoat rangers and beastly creatures that fear neither the night, nor the haze of twilight, nor the burning rumble of your rockets.
      Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

I try to view Quake 2, 3 and 4 as a separate series. Strogg? Cyborgs? What do those have to do with evil creatures in another dimension. The plots of Quake 2 and 4 are more like war with alien civilizations than anything that has to do with the original.

Maybe Quake 5 will be the first Quake sequel :d

The Quake dimension always seemed like a demented place to me possibly created in the mind of a single omniscient, all-powerful being that can truly not ever be defeated, per se. This phrase has always stuck in mind. Although not directly related to Quake, it is very central to Lovecraft which has a strong influence in Quake:

"In His house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu lies dreaming."

Trying to transform that into some place where intelligent cyborgs with war machines isn't compatible with my view of what Quake is.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Yeah, I think id would agree that Q2, Q3, and Q4 have nothing to do with the world of Quake (although they probably wouldn't care, it's just two paragraphs they threw in the manual at the last minute).

If it's really important, I think that 'Quake' is just a handy codename for all the evil dudes. It could easily have turned out that Shub Niggurath was Quake, even if they didn't know about Shub Niggurath at the beginning... Anyway, when you killed Shub Niggurath and dispersed the evil dude threat, I think the whole 'Quake' thing ended.

Comment

well, i remember reading somewhere (i dont know where) that Quake is actually an entity, and the events in the Slip Gate complex, Stroggos and the Quake 3 Arena were actually manipulations by Quake to get everything to destroy eachother. so Shub-Niggurath, Makron, Armagon, and the rest were all manipulated by Quake into doing his bidding.

he must be pretty damn powerful to get all these demon lords and alien emperors to do his bidding.

Comment

I like the "less is more" type of theories.

(Consequentially, I *hated* the Nehahra movie's example, although I thought the movie was great. I didn't like a nice, clean "know we know what happened" explanation).

I like to think that Quake is a mysterious nightmare dimension where no planning or true thought occurs in the minds or the monsters or any of the inhabitants.

In the Cthulhu books, based on what I have read about them --- and I have *not* read any of the books, the all-powerful god of those realms was Azathoth.

Azathoth was a huge mindless blob of inconceivable mass in the center of the universe.

I was always struck by the concept of a world where the god was essentially unintelligent and mindless, a world that no true sense can be made of it -- because there is none to be found.

So I view Quake as a place where there is no truly intelligent activity occurring. No planning, no ambitions, no thought and a place where to seek answers is a lost cause because there are not any.

I'd like to view that whatever opened up the slipgates to the Quake dimension was a collasal disaster .. that there are evil and twisted dimensions so unlike our own .. and the slipgate accident was finding something that should have never been found.

(If only our own universe wasn't so boring and empty).
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

In the development of Quake2, id was asked why the name since it was bearing no resemblance to the first, they basically said "All the cool names we thought up for it were copyrighted, so we just used this."

Quake is a cold sweat nightmare, where you lie chilled to the bone amidst sulfur and lava. It is cogent insanity manifesting itself in granite, iron, clay, steel, flesh, blood, and fire.

When chaos inherits non-linear potentiality, we have the world of Quake.
                Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Dam scarecrow, some cool shit you come up with. I don't know what the hell you are saying, but it sounds uber-awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster
                    Dam scarecrow, some cool shit you come up with. I don't know what the hell you are saying, but it sounds uber-awesome.
                    That's Quake itself, talking through Scarecrow's mouth!

I think also that 'imagination' is the keyword here. Nothing is really explained - as in Lovecraft tales.
                    The nature and basic aspect of Quake visuals (a bit ruined, imho, by rtlights and hires texes of recent clients...) was partially imposed by '96 cpu knowledge and capacities. iD geniuses filled the gaps, digging their own imagination.

The actual overclocking nerd is generally bored to death by the 'washed out color corridors' and 'low poly models' of Quake.
                    But, to me, most of recent games are real looking CG for spoonfed and brainwashed ppl, like Alex in Clockwork Orange.

I love Quake mostly because of this whole space left to my phantasms.
                    Building the missing details, the unknown and the unsaid in my brain, just ends up in more immersive intensity.

Graphic horror shocks, then fades out, leaving some sticking stills. Great!
                    Suggested horror sneaks in, embeds and raises everlasting emotions. Better!

˜jX

Comment

Here's the word from Paul Jaquays, in his discussion on keeping the Quake name for Quake II:

"I've had a request (which means that there's a lot more of you out there who don't write) to explain why I'm saying that Quake 2 is not a sequel to Quake. The word sequel implies a continuation of what has gone before. In this case, a continuation of the battle against Quake, the mythical overlord of evil, by soldiers fighting in an undefined army in undefined places. Although many of the features of Quake 2 will be similar to Quake players (such as a 3D environment, some weapons that function similar to those of Quake, lava, slime and use of game's logo in certain special game powerups), it is not a continuation of the Quake story.
                      ..."

OK, I know he's in no way an authority (wasn't with id until Q3), so I have no clue why I posted this.

Comment

Quake2 and Quake4 are some generical sci-fi shooters.

Quake3 has a good part of the gothic atmosphere of the first with a funky cyberpunk side.. which is cool
                        one quake to rule them all.

Comment

Working...
                        X