A simple Launcher for mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A simple Launcher for mods

While waiting for Baker's formal release of his Game-A-Tron launcher, I looked for a few command line tools, compiled a few batch files, and the result is this little mod launcher.

I made this mainly because of my organization of quake1 directory. In my quake1 folder, there are many sub-folders and sub-sub-folders that I use to place and organize the many single player mods and maps I downloaded over the years. Sometimes it's quite difficult to locate a particular mod, and sometimes I forgot that one mod was already existing in a sub-folder and I extracted another copy of the same mod into another sub-folder. So I compiled this package to help me.

Another reason is, I have been very happy to use the "maps" menu in Joequake as well as the "maps" command in darkplaces, and wish I can use a similarly simple command to list all the maps in a running mod when I am using some other engines, for example, Fitzquake or AguirRe's enhanced glquake. So I included a simple "maplist" feature in this package.

Ok, now let's see what this compilation can do for you:

1. It can list all the existing mods for you. It uses three criteria for determining whether a folder is a mod folder or not, and these are: if there is a maps folder inside the folder in question; if there is a pak0.pak inside the folder in question; and if there is a progs.dat inside the folder in question.

2. After you select a mod from the list of the mods it presented to you, it will search for cmd files in the mod folder. The cmd file must be named either "play.cmd" or "play foldername.cmd" (e.g. "play czg07.cmd" in the mod folder named czg07), or "foldername.cmd". If none of the three cmd files are present, the launcher will pop up a list of all the executives in your quake1 root folder, and let you select the engine you wish to use when running the mod selected. This behavoir is to make sure that the user has no need to compile a launching lnk or bat or cmd for every normal mod, and at the same time, the special mods, such as Warpspasm (which requires its own engine and a "-quoth" in its commandline), Rogue, Hipnotic (which are the two official expansion packs, and require "-hipnotic" or "-rogue" in their respective commandline) etc can launch properly using cmd files in their directories.

3. After the mod is running, you can type "maplist" in the console to get a list of all the bsp files for the mod. Note that only bsp files in the current gamedir are listed, and the other bsp files in the searching path, such as those in id1 folder, are not listed.

I have been using this launcher for quite a few days, and find it can be quite handy. Hope you like it. I guess this package can also be used for launching quake2 mods.

How to install:
    Extract all three zip files attached to your quake directory. Remember keeping the directory structure! Works under windows 2000 and windows XP. Haven't tried under windows 2003 or Vista. Should work too.
    Attached Files

Not to derail your new launcher, but I always use the old QStart 1.1 launcher for this (look in any idgames2 mirror in utils).

You can select mod and map in combo boxes and adding extra options at will. It's very light-weight and works in any Windows environment. There are some drawbacks of course, but generally it works pretty well.

But it's always good to have new alternatives

Comment

Working...
    X