Gateway Concept: Map of Maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gateway Concept: Map of Maps

The idea behind a Gateway map is to create a map of maps.

As the start map has various skill level halls, a Gateway would be a map with several teleporters to several different maps.

Ideally, a gateway map would have screenshots and the map name by each teleporter leading to a map.

Just for fun, I did some experiments to play around with the idea last September.

I built an unfinished -- and likely never to be finished -- concept map that is about 25% built.

Click images for larger view

In the above room, there are several monitors displaying a picture of the map.

Below each picture is the map code such as "E1M1" and the map name. In the above sample, I noticed a small problem with fullbrights, but hey ... I was just messing around anyway.

These little red teleporter pads, while I made them correctly, actually cause odd rendering issues due to the shape.

And a "full bright on" rendering of a partially completed stadium with each deck having its own Quake Episode, except for Deck 3 which contained both episode 3 and episode 4.

---
    Uses

1. I thought it would be cool, among other things, to create a Rocket Arena gateway map and see if Slot would run it on the Rocket Arena server. No one knows what map is what.

2. It would be cool for the standard Quake episodes.

3. It would awesome for like a set of 100 of the greatest single player maps to have the "Start" map have screenshots of each of the 100 maps so you could enter a giant area, look around and select what map you wanted to play.

It would also be great as a deathmatch map selector on a Quakeworld server.

Someday, perhaps, someone may make such a thing. But, alas, it won't be me. Experimenting with mapping makes you truly aware of how difficult it is to make a quality map.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

That's actually the best idea I've seen you come up with. Screw text based voting, now we have a big room where we can run around and vote in!

*shoots a rocket at Baker so he lands on dm3

Comment

Baker...

... I like the idea! 100 screenshots might start breaking some texture lump limits during compile but it'd be worth testing. The original release plus 50 best standalone after market releases might be enough. I'm more than willing to collaborate on this with you following the release of Travail (mid-year with luck).

Comment

Originally posted by distrans
        ... I like the idea! 100 screenshots might start breaking some texture lump limits during compile but it'd be worth testing. The original release plus 50 best standalone after market releases might be enough. I'm more than willing to collaborate on this with you following the release of Travail (mid-year with luck).
        I am very good at graphics automation and format conversions, it is somewhat of a field of specialization for me, and often write my own tools to automate repetitive tasks, like making 100 textures labelled with the a map name in Quake font.

This is part of the reasons I can do things like take the Quake Retexturing Project's 200 MB download and turn it into a 5 MB download that the human eye has no almost no chance of distinguishing.

I'm willing to hand off all my textures (screenshot textures, map label textures) or synthesize new ones for you or any mapper interested in completing the idea and I am willing to help in any way desired.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I might add those screenshot textures in the top 2 images are the standard Quake palette and not 24 bit textures. Just for clarification so no one technical will wonder about that.

100 screenshots might start breaking some texture lump limits during compile but it'd be worth testing.
          A Gateway map could be split into 2 or more maps (if necessary) that have exit teleporters referencing each other. I saw a single player episode with non-linear map progression like that. (I can't remember the name).

Comment

that's pretty cool baker... nice work..

white power, bitches!

Comment

hehe...

A Gateway map could be split into 2 or more maps (if necessary) that have exit teleporters referencing each other.
              Of course! I've been thinking inside the .bsp so long I have trouble thinking outside it

If no one has put up their hand around September, expect a call for resources and assisitance...and beer (b)

Comment

I've been thinking inside the .bsp so long I have trouble thinking outside it
                Heh, I like that.

Comment

wow nice.. That would be alot of fun running around in the level and screwing around. Rather than that boring voting system.

Comment

VERY cool idea! me like!

Comment

Yeah, I hope this happens some day.

Comment

This would be sweet on a DM server that runs custom maps.
                        uakene.com

Comment

Nice idea but this has already been (partially) implemented in Quake 1 Painkeep (http://gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk/bl...p/pk111nwn.zip). You all start on a ledge in a 2 floor small-ish building, the 'hub', then you have so many seconds to jump off and find your way down the corridors your prefered voting teleporter. Before junping through the teleporter you get is an onscreen message advising you which of the 20 original painkeep maps it is rather than a nice image. This was kind of handicapped a little when they released another 20 maps with no obvious means of voting them in. If I had sufficent mapping knowledge I would have a crack at this but alas I'm a mapping 'virgin'. Might be worth someone more experienced taking a look to get some ideas though. Hope this helps

Kind regards

Monty
                          Mr.Burns
                          "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                          WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                          Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

great idea! wonder why iD didnt came up with this them selves in the first place.. :d

Comment

Well they did create the Start map

Comment

Working...
                              X