Cooperative Server w/Custom Maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooperative Server w/Custom Maps?

Note: If this type of thing interests you, you should vote in this poll.

If the results are strongly in favor of such a server, such polling results could be used to encourage and fuel the interest in such a server happening.

This idea has already been presented to the mapping community. Perhaps if strong interest is demonstrated in such a server in this poll, it might generate concensus and and gain momentum.
    ---

If there was a cooperative mode, single player server running custom maps would you play there and/or download the maps.

Examples of some maps:

What would be your level of interest in this kind of server happening, like if it had vote-map to allow map voting?
    High - I would definitely be interested
    58.33%
    Moderate - I would be interested
    12.50%
    Low - I might check it out
    0.00%
    I am not interested in that type of server.
    29.17%
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

YES I Would be highly interested. Better than running through those same boring ID maps. Would be tons more fun. I VOTE FOR it!

Comment

Why... cooperative is... bland

Why not just make new large maps for CTF flag implementation as new ctf maps.... and smaller maps for dm / ca... and new ra maps as well... make em all custom! who CARES! that would be sweet!

But i never cared for cooperative play, where you and everyone else that isn't a bot or AI has to fight all the bots and AI's... or monsters in this case.

It's just not fun to me. If i enjoyed playing video games like quake in single player mode... i'd probably be for it. But as it is, i don't. I don't even care for the single player of quake, even though the expansion packs had some pretty sweet map arcitectual design to em' and all... i'd still prefer these maps going onto a server... or any new custom maps going onto a server that is adjusted for a specific type of game play.

3wave/dm/ca/ra... whatnot...

But that's just my opinion and vote. ^_-

I'm sure others feel differently.

Comment

Lerster, old buddy, if you are interested in a DM maps server....

... that's in another thread.

http://www.quakeone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294

Such a cooperative server, as in this thread, would NOT be at the expense of a DM server or CA+ server, it would likely be an additional server sponsored possibly by single player enthusiasts or possibly the map making community or maybe even the conversion of an existing coop running standard maps to one such as this.

Lotsa empty DM and CTF servers already exist. But no good cooperative servers do that run tons of custom single player maps.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I wouldn't play on it. I don't like coop servers. I'd rather play single player than coop mode.

Comment

DarkPlaces Mod on Skill 3 can be at times difficult enough to warrant cooperative play... Lead targetting ogres, z-adjust fiend leaps, accurate damage dealt by the monsters (a grenade is a grenade is a grenade).

I am all for this, but it needs to be a bit more difficult to warrant it.
            Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Us at SDA would love a dedi-coop server for use in speedrunning.

Comment

Originally posted by Lag.Com
                Us at SDA would love a dedi-coop server for use in speedrunning.
                Rumor has it that there is a single player enthusiast that just might make this happen. I saw a post in another forum

Comment

Update: After letting this poll go for about 10 days, I'd say the interest in this idea is limited, heh.

We've had more ppl voting for things like what they put on Macaroni and than this one.

Doesn't mean it won't happen ... I actually think it will.

Meanwhile, the concept would involve maps that don't involve custom monsters. I might mess around with building the required server-side components that meet the requirements for a solid/stable public server.

The maps that could reasonably (maybe) meet the requirement that might be interesting to try the concept on ... and this is just me thinking aloud ...

Some spaceous maps meeting the criteria:

sm82: Rubicondom
                  trincasp2: Forgotten Tomb
                  cmc: Cheyenne Mountain Complex
                  could: And All that Could Have Been
                  ac: Adamatine Cruelty
                  terra: Terra Thing
                  marine: Ultramarine
                  sm36 : Subterranean Siege
                  Would need checked for coop spawn points, if not extra coord spots would need to be identified. Plus, would need to put weapon-stay on somehow and maybe have ammo boxes respawn and team damage off.

Probably at least a fair amount of work on the QuakeC side, if not a substantial amount.

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow
                    DarkPlaces Mod on Skill 3 can be at times difficult enough to warrant cooperative play... Lead targetting ogres, z-adjust fiend leaps, accurate damage dealt by the monsters (a grenade is a grenade is a grenade).

I am all for this, but it needs to be a bit more difficult to warrant it.
                    Have you tried skill 4 in dpmod?

Comment

Baker - http://www.planetquake.com/spq2/quake1/ Single Player Quake Level Heaven. Every map on there is good, and more importantly for this project, each review mentions whether or not it has coop spots (along with skill settings, dm spots, vised for gl). So you could compile a list of good maps just from that.

Sajt - ! No I have not... Hadnt occured to me to try such as I associate 3 with Nightmare.
                      Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

skill 4 was added a few months ago I think by yours truly, try it out

In start.bsp you can select it by dropping onto the nightmare beam then going to the other end of the beam.

Comment

I'll be setting up a coop server soon
                          Or maybe even 2 or 3 on different ports.
                          Let's just see what happens with it.
                          Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Working...
                          X