Best Weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Weapons

Which Mod do you guys think had the best custom weapons?

thats a hard one... but my favorite so far qould be the "doom gun" from honobondos mod, i wanna add it to my mod so i can do "shotgun jumps"

Comment

hmmmm as metch said that's a tricky one.

Personally I would vote for:

Painkeep = Chain lightning gun
      Painkeep = SSG with exploding shells and quad
      Painkeep = Beartrap
      Painkeep = Gravity wells
      Painkeep = Autosentries (Although they could do with a little beefing up)
      DMP (Deathmatch plus) - BFG9000
      DMP - Timed Bombs
      DMP - Trip wires
      DMP - radio tag bombs
      DMP - virtually any weapon once the superweapons powerup is enabled. Super grenades can be particularly devastating

Also many of the runes in ieee's rqp mod are worthy of a little look

For comedy value the Can 'o' Beans in Painkeep has to win with the DMP guided rocket a close second. The RQP touch of death, 10 ton man and fake rune are also good for a laugh.
      Last edited by Mr.Burns; 08-20-2008, 01:53 AM.
      Mr.Burns
      "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
      WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
      Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

How do you want to define best? Most destructive? Most fun to use? Most balanced? I'm not sure I can comment on the first two...

Most balanced though (in single player, at least) would probably have to be the Warhammer from Quoth. It provides a somewhat viable alternative to methods that use ammo, but with a drawback that you still have to get close enough to use it, which can be dangerous. Of course, the dager varies with the monsters that you face. I've found that with practice, it's reasonably effective against enforcers, as you can often get close and deliver the first hit to make them flinch before they shoot, and then hit them again to drop them, and also because their only attack is very ineffective at kissing distance.

One other thing that makes it better than just giving the player a better starting weapon is that it can provide an extra level of weapon progression. It could easily be the first given weapon, instead of the more obvious choices of NG or SSG, if you encourage its use by making ammo somewhat tighter than normal.
        16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
        16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

Originally posted by Lardarse View Post
          because their only attack is very ineffective at kissing distance.

hehe i noticed this thats why with mine

far, fires a zaware grenade [using ogrefiregrenade thnks to rocket guy for the tip]

close, lightning

Comment

I like some of the Zerstorer weapons, some really neat alternatives that still fit perfectly with the "painful simple brutality" feel of the originals. And it has a cool Chainsaw.
            IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Its not a "mod" but I would say the best over all weapon was the good ole Quaded Super Nail Gun
              QuakeOne.com
              Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
              Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
              Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

SuperDuperQuake has tons of weapons with nice effects. It's a great fun-mod.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/superduper-quake

Comment

Excluding obvious ones from Super-Duper Quake and Pain (cluster grenades anyone?):

-Plasmagun from Quoth- perfect top-range weapon- rather boring sound though

-Shredder from Q-Zone- what's cool is that the disks bounce off monsters at a reduced vertical trajectory, so you can accurately calculate shots that will repeatedly bounce off monsters confident that the shot won't ricochet upwards or in some weird direction

-Laser Cannon from Scourge- a good example of a top-end gun that's also a good base gun (as opposed to the lightning gun which is just overkill).
                  Check out my awesome Deviant art page!
                  Quake fanart (obviously included)!

http://harry-the-fox.deviantart.com/

Comment

Chainsaw from Zerstörer.
                    Thunderbolt forever!

Comment

Killer Pack has also some good ones, like:

flamethrower
                      fireball launcher
                      laser
                      BFG9000
                      proximity mine
                      nuke rocket
                      What Does Not Kill You, Makes You Stronger

Comment

Malice
                        PerQuake
                        Zerstörer
                        Scout's Journey
                        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Oh- and I just remembered the guns from the PAIN mod, released back in the mid 90s.

BFG, Laser rifle, Cluster-bomb launcher, pipe bombs, necromancy- EVERYTHING.
                          Cluster bombs were my favourite!

Comment

i dunno know about Quake. i like the Perforater my self. I was thinking about the best weapons in all games and two guns came into mind.

BFG10k from Quake II
                            Redeemer from Unreal Tournament 99

As far as I know, these two are the Alpha and the Omega (respectivly) out of every game ever. They arnt just overly powerful end of. They both deliver shit loads of talk but both have draw backs making them not so powerful that its stupid.

The BFG10k must be fired and then you must keep the target in sight so that the energy ball deals the most damage, its not a shoot and take cover weapon.

The Redeemer cant be fired at close or medium range since its explosion is massive.

Comment

I've tried both weapons recently.

Personally I actually gotta stick with the Q2 BFG- the explosion is way wimpier but the lasers it fires have a better change of catching someone in a large crowded room- with a fairly good chance of killing them.

Not to mention it only takes up a fith of your screen, as opposed to, like, two-thirds.

Also, you need to start checking out some mods- there are some that are so professionally-made they'd actually give the official devs a run for their money!
                              Which really mostly comes down to Quoth.

By the way- on the note of super-gigantic-explosion guns- there is a third worthy addition from the little-known expansion pack for the game SIN (Wages of Sin), called the IP-36 Nuclear Gun.
                              It's REALLY awesome- it could easilly fill up E1M2 provided the shot hit in the lobby across the first bridge.

Comment

Working...
                              X