X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q1SP: The Bloody Slipgates

Site: http://qexpo.tastyspleen.net/booth.php?id=4
    Download: http://qexpo.tastyspleen.net/uploaded/4/e1m1red.zip

Instructions: Extract to c:\quake\bloody folder and unzip the above into that.

If you are using JoeQuake/Qrack/DarkPlaces (or ProQuake 3.99) just start up and type:

>gamedir bloody
    >map e1m1red

If you are using FitzQuake, type "game bloody" instead of "gamedir bloody".

If you are using glquake start it up with "glquake.exe -game bloody +map e1m1red"
    If you want to play some single player that is more fun than normal, you should play the "The Bloody Slipgates" released by Lardarse a couple of hours ago.

How this is different:

First, this is your standard single player except there are red keys you must collect. To open the first door, for example, you need 5 red keys.

Additionally, there are some "vending machines" (wall mounted boxes) that give you shotgun shells, nails, health, etc.

The map is altered version of E1M1RMX, one of the highest quality single player maps from a design standpoint. To complete this, you will need a number of red keys and this map has numerous subtle secret areas.

Hint: The gold key and the silver key are obtained via a couple of wall-mounted machines that require 4 red keys.

Disclaimer:

This isn't an easy map. The gameplay is standard and killing the monsters isn't hard. The hard part is that to complete this you will need to explore the map ... thoroughly.

The red keys are not unfairly hidden whatsoever, they are in easily accessible places.

What is hard is that you can't expect to just casually think the red key cards are going to reveal themselves, you will have to hunt for them. You will need to walk out on ledges and if you see something interesting chances are a red key is near it.

E1M1RMX is, as it sounds, very very similar to E1M1. So if you've played E1M1 before, you should be able to find 80% of the red keys rather easily.

I think you need 20 of 25 red keys (technically it's possible with 19) to finish.

Summary:

I've not played every "mod" out there that just takes standard game play and throws a small change in it. That being said, I've never played a mod that enhanced the gameplay by such a high degree before.

This is definitely 10 of 10 quality and it requires a lot more attention and focus to complete, even though it's just your standard wimpy enforcers and grunts.
    Last edited by Baker; 09-12-2008, 02:39 AM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

I actually had to think in Quake! this is something new! great job Lardarse!

Playing levels where there isn't RL,GL,LG etc is actually fun, and having the ammo so scarce as it was made for an intense experience, I didnt figure out how the ammo vendors worked though so I spent most my time axing grunts for ammo

P.S Why can't I post the actual picture? There only a link function now?
    Last edited by Phenom; 09-12-2008, 03:12 AM.
    QuakeOne.com
    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
    Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
    Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

P.S Why can't I post the actual picture? There only a link function now?

^^^ Methinks imageshack does not allow or intentionally foobars inline images.

I didnt figure out how the ammo vendors worked though so I spent most my time axing grunts for ammo
      Just touch them. You'll hear, for example, the picking up the shotgun shells sound a couple of times and then it goes solid black when empty.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

cool map, cool concept! nice work guys!

hope to see more maps for this mod

Comment

Let's say you might see more and more interesting keys in the future, just not necessarily 25 red keycards. There are other games which have diverse keys, not just silver and gold key, and it tends to make the game more interesting, so...

The one thing that stood out in this map was the exit gate that required several, hidden, keys. This could be expanded a lot.

I didn't care for the buy-1-card-with-5-others mechanic.
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

make a poison key >:}

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
              I didn't care for the buy-1-card-with-5-others mechanic.
              That was the only thing I didn't like about it. Other than the bridge extender that used 1 red keycard, but that feature of the mod could maybe possibility be used for something good in the future.

Guy: What can I buy for a dollar?
              Gag shop clerk: You can buy this fake dollar, you can your fool friends into thinking you have a real dollar.

Other than that it was superb and I found myself actually "using the map" more than maybe any other map since Warpspasm.

By using, I mean I had to study the map and explore.

Some maps the author invests intense effort in the brush work, I enter the area, kill the grunt and move on without looking around. A waste!

This combined with Kurok are making me see the possibilities of Quake.

Comment

I have just played it and it is a very interesting and original Quake-gaming concept. Are there more maps for this?
                -Whoever wins, we lose-

Comment

Originally posted by [UFO] View Post
                  I have just played it and it is a very interesting and original Quake-gaming concept. Are there more maps for this?
                  For now it's just that one map.

Comment

Found 23 cards but couldn't find the secret. Maybe the last two are there...
                    Thunderbolt forever!

Comment

The secret is triggered when you get all 25.

They're not that hard to find - honestly. You do have to very thoroughly explore the map though; the standard Q1 SP gameplay style of "stay alive and get out of wherever you are" won't cut it. Jump in every pool, go into all the dark corners, everything.

Oddly enough, in Normal and Hard they're easier to find. In Easy there is one hidden in what I would consider an "unfair" place - a shootable wall panel that doesn't look like it's shootable. You should play on all skills though to get the most from it, as some of the keys do move around depending on your chosen skill.
                      IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X