• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SP: Avanipaala Praasaada

Map Name: Avanipaala Praasaada
    Year Made: 2001
    Review Link: Team Shambler

Download at Quaddicted: kjsp1.zip

Some say this is the most beautiful map for Quake that was ever made. Others point to this map as inspirational in the sense that its mere existence demonstrated the versatility of the possibilities in Quake mapping.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Yeah, I agree that it is very beautiful. Great white columns and architecture. looks like a castle from heaven, except the evil monsters lurking in the shadows . It isn't my favorite map, because its too short in my opinion. Maybe the author could make a sequel, or a whole mission pack that has that sort of great architecture.

Comment

It's not one of my favorites gameplay-wise
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Not the most beautiful, but definitely really nice, and an absolutely lovely diversion from the usual look of Quake

There could have been a bit more sexy brushwork though IMO. It was one of my favourites when I played it, maybe not as much anymore as I have played even sexier ones

Comment

What do you consider the most beautiful then?

Comment

I haven't played them all, but some that impressed me recently I forget the names of

I loved that one where you're going through the sewers and it's hard to get the good ending (I haven't gotten it )

And that huge one where you start in a cave and come out to see a dang big castle with a crazy curvy bridge/path to it and stuff. I think in that same one a Shambler breaks through the ceiling above you then through the floor below you. That part was one of the best Quake moments I have ever had ! (BTW I never finished the map.. couldn't find a key. Will find it back later and have another go)
            edit: second one is of course the Marcher Fortress.

Comment

Shambler thru ceiling = Marcher Fortress

http://www.planetquake.com/underworl...ev050114d.html

edit = I didn't notice your edit when posting this

Comment

I never really fell for that one...
                Looks a bit like... cosmetic package for ladies
                Btw, as everyone knows, those - bleached - textures are borrowed from Iikka Kerären's Blue Levels.
                Now, that was a real innovative break through!

The first map I had a real jawdrop for was Pingu's A3: The Journey Home, SP Sister of the classic Q1 DM map A2: Return to Atlantis.
                I really miss knowledge in english vocabulary to describe the subtlety of the color palette, lacy textures, curvy lines, soft lights...
                Each time I load this map, I tend to forget gameplay progress to just stare at the beauty of the design.
                But, OK... my own taste here!

Reviews:
                - RetroQuake
                - Etheral Hell
                - TeamShambler

Get A3: The Journey Home here!

Comment

Looks great. I'm going to try that sucker out.

Comment

It looks great in DP and plays interestingly in DPmod

Monsters tend to drown under the bridge though

I was doing pretty well up until the arena style bit, the 3rd level of it when it spawns in the 4 ogres, yeah they mowed me down with chainsaws realllll fast. LordHavoc likes his damage a bit higher.
                    Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

When I played it, I did a GJ out of that pit.
                      16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
                      16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

gj

Comment

Grenade Jump.

Comment

Stop being redundant

Comment

Originally posted by Sajt
                              Stop being redundant
                              We need more Metal Bands

Comment

Working...