Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Quake SP mission - Early development.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very nice, keep the good work!

Comment

Crate.

The Quest editor is crashing if I turn this crate a few degrees, no idea why. It doesn't crash instantly, but takes a few seconds. I'm going to leave this crate alone now.

Comment

Corridor.

The door way at the start of this corridor can be entered.

Comment

Ceiling light.

I found a way to turn the crate 30 degrees without crashing Quest, but QBSP is still getting stuck on it. It must be a brush processing issue in QBSP. So I've dropped the crate on the floor until I can figure out a better solution. The ceiling light is next on the agenda:

Comment

When rotating something more complex than a box, the vertices might end up off the grid. You'll need a map format that supports floating point values and a corresponding compiler.

You could snap the rotated brushes to the grid, but that might give you illegal brushes, vertices off the plane, or something like that...

Simple boxes can be rotated pretty much any degree without snapping to the grid afterwards, and won't give a problem, but anything that has rounded corners in multiple directions can not. Barrels for example. This is where you run into problems with all those curves.

QBSP should give you an error message btw which could help.

If the problem persists, the short answer is, delete the offending object and do something simpler. The curves look cool in screenshots but they don't really make the map better.

You could also use TreeQBSP which can heal deformed brushes to some degree. All this is not optimal though.

There are some things which Quake simply doesn't do well. Believe me, I've smacked head first into the same walls before.
            Scout's Journey
            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
              deformed brushes
              first thought:

Comment

Update.

The pillar on the right is new in this update:

Comment

Spawn point.

The player will spawn from this position. The monsters around the corner will attack the player as soon as he moves forward:

Comment

Lights.

Enjoy.

Comment

Crate.

I found a solution to deal with deformed brushes. Here is the crate again, this time turned at a 40-degree angle. I hope you like it!

The secret to making it work is to let the BSP compiler see the crate with no rotation applied. The crate's model in the output BSP can then be rotated. Any data that is used by other models must not be touched as this will result in drawing/clipping issues in Quake.

The player can walk through the crate at some angles. I think this is an issue in Quake.

Comment

the hell with bump mapping!

PLAY QUAKE DODGEBALL!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-dodgeball

Trickle's VWeps

Comment

Originally posted by LockNLoad View Post
                          the hell with bump mapping!
                          The model is rotated before the light phase. Aren't bump maps generated in the light phase?

Comment

This will be interesting to see when it's done!
                            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Lighting changes.

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                              This will be interesting to see when it's done!
                              Thanks. You won't be disappointed.

I found out the crate was not casting any shadow because the light code only cares about the world model. I changed it to care about all models. Now everything casts a shadow, even doors.

Two crates with shadow:

Comment

I found out the crate was not casting any shadow because the light code only cares about the world model. I changed it to care about all models. Now everything casts a shadow, even doors.
                                are you saying you modified the light tool to make brush-models cast shadows as well???

Comment

Working...
                                X