• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SP: Source of Power

Map Name: Source of Power v. 2
    Year Made: 1997 ... remastered in 2003
    Review Link: Underworld Reviews

Download at Quaddicted: Quaddict SOPv2 Detail Page

This map is a quaint, but interesting, return to Quake's past back when map makers did not have all of today's sophisticated tools.

The story behind this map is that you have been kidnapped and need to escape, and actually features a boat.

It has some thematic background music that adds to the feeling and is really quite different than most single player maps I've seen.

It was remastered back in 2003 by AguirRe, the originals (for reasons unknown to me) would not function in GLQuake (and perhaps other problems existed).

If you have only played modern single player custom map releases, this one gives you a nice feel for the types of maps that were being developed by creative map designers back in the days when Quake was new and the tools for expression were limited.

Solving the maps involve quite a bit of thinking and this is one of the few older maps that are unique enough that you will remember playing it. Among other things, trying to figure out how to get to the nightmare entrance is a fun challenge -- you can see it, but it isn't clear how you can get there, until you start looking around in detail.

This map, unlike most, has an intro demo that tells the story when you load it and begin playing.
    Last edited by Baker; 04-07-2006, 02:17 PM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Hrmm I'll try it. Although I hate quake maps with puzzles and thinking.

Comment

In this one, the puzzles and thinking are fun and really not too hard to solve.

One thing I have noticed with a lot of the newer maps, is a convergence of style -- where many of the newer maps play the same way -- this map is different coming from an age with a lot of different approaches to map making.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Working...
      X