Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q1SP: Temple Of Anubis: Judgement Of The Dead

http://davidduncan.t35.com/maps.htm

Just incase anyone hasnt been to func_msgboard here is the link to my new level. Feedback would be appreciated thanks.

DeathMethod

nice, are those textures from simland?

PLAY QUAKE DODGEBALL!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-dodgeball

Trickle's VWeps

Comment

oh nvm I saw the readme

PLAY QUAKE DODGEBALL!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-dodgeball

Trickle's VWeps

Comment

A great map overall.

Visually stunning with breathtaking architectural layought. The atmospsphere was indescribable as well. It had an oldschool e1m3 feel to it which definatly touched upon some deep nostalgia I've had for Quake the past decade of my life I've spent with CS and other games.

Gameplay was great. Cleverly positioned secrets, balanced ammo:health:monster ratio. And of course the zombie massacre quad damage gig was pretty fun and clever in the sense that one expected the Quad to merely be used for the sake of more easily fragging just the horde of zombies when in fact there was a horde of fiends, scrags, and knights just around the corner as well if you didn't hurry along. I also loved the positioning of the mega health. Nothing like slapping in a mega health to add more dynamic and natural commitments from a player to proceed more haphazardly into a map's depths unknowing of what traps and monster ambushes lay around the corner. However the one thing I do have to sadly note about the map's gameplay was the monster positioning chosen. The position of shamblers kind of threw off the challenging and teeth grinding atmosphere the map initially had. If at any point in the map you make a mockery of a shambler the overall difficulty prestige and respect the map had begins to fade away into another "meh, relatively easy even on nightmare mode" category. Never position a shambler if he is at a lower elevation than you. The angle at which the shambler performs a shaft blast often can be completley obscured without you even moving(which almost always seemed to be the case without any remote difficulty of positioning myself in such a safe manner). A map should be made to enhance the capabilities of its monsters and the engine itself to a means of default maximum difficulty. Even on skill 0 a shambler should not be made a fool of by simply standing in front of a platform higher htan him and watching him blast the wall with a shaft blast over and over while you unload an entire arsenal of SG shells into his face. It just takes away from the tension and atmosphere of "one wrong move and I'm fucked" kind of mentality should always have when playing Quake(online or off). The same situation for the ogres espcially. Ogres are helpless if they are at a higher elevation than you at a flight of stairs and they just sit there shooting rockets as you waste them away from below their arc of fire. And of course the positioning of vores could have been a little better given the massive amount of angles surrounding the positioning of most of the vores that would completely allow you to exploit them without any effort whatsoever. Try using vores in more open spaces with less fallback angles and more incent for a player to take things slower, put a little more strategy and time into the map, and get the chance to enjoy the map even more. As for the ogres don't put them at the top or bottom of a stair case that can easily let any braindead player avoid an ogres arc of rocket fire. Position an ogre on rooftops or near slanted ramps that can help amplify the power of an ogres rocket by bouncing out and about at a player. I've seen some maps make a huge use of this idea and its made 3 ogres more challenging than 10 shamblers at times. And as for the shamblers themselves, it would be best to always position a shambler at an equal elevation as the player with limmited cover for the player with other less powerful clusters of monsters surrounding that area to support the shambler(scrags work great). Never at any disadvantageous architectual position such as at the bottom of a ramp, the bottom of stairs, the bottom of a platform or any other elevational difference that would allow any moronic player to abuse and make light of your map you put hard work into. That way shamblers will keep their throne as one of the most powerful enemies in the game, your map keeps its dignity, and the player keeps on his toes.

Overall this was a wonderful map and I really hope you continue to make more maps in the future! I'd certaintly love to be a beta tester if you need one! Best of wishes to you and good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X