X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do I play downloaed maps

help me I got no idea how to I am clueless

1 - start quake up [yay]
    ----------1.5 - [gets tricky if this step is required] if the map requires a mod [ie Quoth] you have to make a batch file in your quake folder, open the batch [.bat is the extension] and type [with no ] quakeclientsname [such as Qrack,DarkPlaces or ProQuake or FitzQuake] -game nameofmodfolder [ so the quoth files will be in a folder in your quake folder, you see, so itd be like thingy/quake/quoth\filesnshit]
    a clean example of this would be glpro399 -game quoth
    2 - bring down console [usually bound to the "~" or "`" key]
    3 - type "map mapnamehere" [where mapnamehere is..well i think u get the idea]
    4 - play the map, and have the mandatory fun

Comment

trying to get beyond belief to start im doing what your saying with the console but nothing seems to work I keep typing map bbstart but dont seem to be gettin anywhere lol.. maybe I got a bad download or something(I use Qrack if that help)

Comment

sounds like you *might* need to take step 1.5? is it a mod too?

anyways,i hear beyond belief has massive maps in it that require much larger engines ..ether that one or darkplaces are the biggest i know of..maybe MH 'ses DirectQ but i dont want to through too many links out as i have been doing

oh btw, you can easily tell if it is a mod by seeing if it has .pak files or a progs.dat with it

OOOh and if i wasnt clear in the prev. the .bat you make is what you want to click on, it will start quake and load the mod folder for quake to use

Comment

metch is talking out of his ass slightly. Beyond Belief does not have "massive maps". It was made in 1997, before the "more is more" fetish that a lot of modern mappers have.

You would need to make sure that the files are in their own folder, so that you have a folder called bbelief in your Quake folder (do not make this folder in your id1 folder). Then start Quake with -game bbelief
          16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
          16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

i dont understand step 1.5.. can someone explain it to me in dumbo language lol.. im gonna try follow the instructions here but dunno if I'll do it right.

Comment

cant find the batch file lol.. man im useless at this.. I guess i'll have to settle for maps without mods.. if anyone thinks they can help me more then just post

EDIT: Also im gonna try fitzquake incase that Engine works better.

Comment

i tried wat lard said and I put in the console -game bbelief but nothing happened.

Comment

i got it too work just beat bbelief on easy gonna try hard now

Comment

Wait a minute, all I've heard is "start quake with -game bbelief" and I have absolutely no idea what that means. Is there some method of starting the game that I'm missing? It doesn't work when I put that command in the command prompt.

Comment

make a bat file and put it in quake folder and type in said bat file "quakeexecutehere -game modfolderhere" save it and click on it

...or make desktop shortcut but im not too familiar with that method

Comment

For the second method, make a shortcut to your Quake.exe--Glproquake, Darkplaces, whatever. Right click the shortcut and go to properties (at least in Windows XP, I don't know about other operating systems). Then look at the "Target" box. You should see the path to your quake.exe in quotation marks. For example, mine says
                        Code:
                        "C:\Documents and Settings\spooker\Desktop\quake\glpro.exe"
                        To run quake with a command, you put a space after the second quotation mark and then a dash, then the command. So, it looks like in this case, you would have something like this:
                        Code:
                        "C:\Documents and Settings\spooker\Desktop\quake\glpro.exe" -game bbelief
                        Obviously the bit inside the quotations would be different for you, depending on where your Quake folder is. There are many commands you can use this way. For example, the target box of my shortcut to Quake looks like this:
                        Code:
                        "C:\Documents and Settings\spooker\Desktop\quake\glpro.exe" -width 1024 -height 768 -bpp 32 -conwidth 320 -conheight 240 -gamma .4 -iplog -mem 256
                        I believe the terminology for this method, which you'll see on these forums, is passing quake a command through the command line, or something like that.
                        Dear powers that be: sticky this?

Comment

Working...
                        X