No announcement yet.

Usually Not Afraid of Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say, if I used Windows, I would use DirectQ.
    Gentoo Linux

Comment

fitzquake ran it best, but there was still a lot of lag that ruined the experience. Any extra settings to help make it run smoother? Maybe my computer simply can't handle it.

Comment

turning r_dynamic to 0 might help, but i find it ruins the atmosphere, that's why i use proquake and directq exclusively now as they don't seem to have many fps issues with my computer

Comment

fitz is really slow with dynamic light styles.. use r_dynamic 0 to turn it off.. DirectQ runs much smoother in that respect!

edit: oh lolz, metch beat me to it

Comment

The real problem is the architecture in those maps; it's really not suitable for most engines owing to the huge numbers of vertexes that must be submitted in lots and lots of small batches. That's a failing I've specifically worked to address but it's not 100% there on all hardware (and probably never will be). I know that I'm not the only one who thought roman2 wasn't vis'ed when I ran it first.

Unfortunately there's no easy setting that can address this. Turning fullbrights off (can't remember the cvar so you'll need to check the FQ readme) might help a little, but I suspect that it won't help too much.
            IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

I like idea behind your post. I want to read more from you. Your thought process is unique and effective.
              Colon Cleanse
              Teeth Whitening
              Extenze

Comment

ARWOP is right up there with WarpSpasm, for sure. Ran it with DarkPlaces and experienced no problems. Played SP, DM & Coop, lotsa fun!

.H*P*D.

Comment

Kudos i loved it! need more maps! <3

Comment

I played last night using directQ, using r_dynamic 0, and turning corpse removal on. Works much better.

Comment

r_fastlightmaps 3 in DirectQ should help a lot too; you may not need r_dynamic 0 if you use it (and I defy anyone to spot the difference).

I suspect that the reason why FitzQuake is ungodly slow with dynamic lights is that it uses 3 component in-memory data wich needs to be expanded by the driver to 4 component before it can be uploaded. In the worst case (and this would be driver dependent) it means that every lightmap upload needs a memory allocation, copy and expand to new memory, transfer to hardware, memory deallocation. More intelligent drivers (that support GL_RGB natively) would do better.

There are also clever things you can do with lightmaps (like making them tall-but-narrow) that greatly accelerate the process of uploading modifications.
                      IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've been enjoying this on Hell difficulty... or so I thought... turns out it doesn't save the "extra" difficulty in save files. I thought I was doing all right up to the last level, but turns out it was just nightmare difficulty! I've already made a post on the func_msgboard thread about it...

Comment

you could also try -nomtex with Fitzquake and Aguirrequake

Comment

Well, after some (longer) break I'm full-time on Linux again. From those I tried DP seems to be the best in this OS. So I tried this 3 map pack with it. Not a single problem it seems. I spent something like 15 minutes with each map and I haven't encountered anything strange, like fps drops. But yeah, my hw is not so slow, so it may be a problem only on some peoples machines. Or it may be something else, like people running it on DP beta release. I intentionally use latest official, because some betas produce annoying stutter in some maps. Damaul6 is a good example. 20090709 never stutters in any map for me. But betas apparently fixed small bug with transparent water and GL/RL explosions. One can't have everything.

Comment

Working...
                            X